ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mods for a Clio GT?

Renault Clio GT
Been looking through countless threads about what people are doing to their cars and it has really inspired me to make some alterations to mine..

So far I have just started off small, I've ordered some HEKO wind deflectors, a GT badge to go on the front grill. Considering getting a K&N induction kit, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them and their thoughts on them? Also going to be ordering some Silvervision indicators..

If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate them! :smiley:

Listerine & Poledo
K&N - Much like any other open-cone filter, it's make more noise and create all of 0hp. A basic panel filter in the OEM box would be as good a bet.
Silvervisions - pretty standard update to the car, can't hurt.
If you're desperately after performance then, unfortunately, you've got the wrong car really.

Renault Clio GT
It was a toss up between them two, will probably opt for a panel filter then, they're also less expensive..

Not overly fussed about increasing the performance, I've only ever drove 1.2s so this is plenty fast for me :grimacing:

Appreciate your reply! I'm pretty new to modifying cars so suggestions are always helpful!

Listerine & Poledo
No dramas chap.
There's all sorts of possible ideas for modifying, but it comes down to how much money you're willing to burn.
If yours is one of the 1.1 turbos, your best bet for any pace would be an ECU remap.
When it comes to suspension, I couldn't tell you. There's so many options and so an equal amount of pitfalls.

Best advice I could give? Don't bother at all, keep it as it is and retain some future value.

Renault Clio GT
Appreciate that! And that's what I might do then, and just do some small alterations like the little bits I've already added but nothing to major! :up:

I'm with Goodj, OEM+ is where it's at with modding, the plans you have sound good.

I'd do stuff that makes you happy imo - if you commute in it and want better audio, look into upgrading the stereo/speakers. Aside from what's already been said, not sure there's anything else I'd do :).

AG 200 CUP
I had a K&N induction kit on mine a 57i DO NOT DO IT the noise is superb but the heat soak is ridiculously terrible just get a panel filter. I put GT badges on the front and rear and DRL's on too. That was it and to me it was perfect maybe could of been lowered as they look like there on stilts, not everyone is a fan of DRL's but it's personal preference. There is not a lot of bits out there for them i would just keep the rest stock IMO

Renault Clio GT
Tbf I love the car, just want to do a few bits to make it my own! Just going to stick with my plans, maybe not bother with an air filter though.. And probably improve the sound system! Appreciate the help guys!

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
You've started well with the Heko's.

As said above, silver vision bulbs. Make a big difference to the car by getting rid of the 'fried egg' look of the lights.

Taking the 'CLIO' badge off of the boot lid makes a big difference as well. The badge is just stuck on and doesn't cover any holes, so is extremely easy to do.

Inside, the only thing I've done, is changed all interior lights to LED. This made a big difference, as it really lights up the interior. Whereas the standard bulbs are no better than a candle in a jam jar.

Listerine & Poledo
For a sound system upgrade, all you need is a replacement head unit and a small sub.
Seriously, you dont even need to change the speakers, they'll be fine once you stop trying to put bass through them
And with the money saved on speakers, you can get a better head unit and sub.....both of which can be removed to put in your next car. Constant savings.

Renault Clio GT
Going to stay well away from an induction kit then haha! And what's a DRL? Sorry if I'm being daft :smile: That's another thing I forgot to mention I was planning to change was the interior lights.. Seen some photos of them with LEDs in and they look class!

Listerine & Poledo
DRL - 'Daytime running lights'.
If you've not got them, dont bother. Just switch your normal lights on during the day and you get 100% the same effect.
And since most DRL kits involve pikey-looking rows of stick-on LEDs....well, enough said

Renault Clio GT
Cheers guys, you've all been great help! There's a lot I need to learn about Clios haha. I'll post pictures of my progress when I make an addition!

AG 200 CUP
This was mine with DRL's just to show you. Great car never let me down once. Look forward to seeing your additions

DRLS_zps0b051b31.jpg

AG 200 CUP
yeah very simple think it's just a bracket if i remember right then stick relay in with two wires to battery. Make sure you get the phillips ones though a bit pricy but better than the tacky stick on ones you can get

Renault Clio GT
Will have a look around for some, think they look really good on the car! Did you lower yours in the end?

Great place to start on Team Heko's, i have had my GT for around 7 months now and going from dare i say a KA lol its amazing! I got a BMC panel filter sounds a bit more beefy, led's inside - number plate - and side lights which i leave on all the time, i have plasti dipped my badges so they are black look good from a distance but up close(as it was my first time) they look s**t haha, I installed a HID kit if you do want to get one bare in mind to install it you will need to take the front bumper off. This weekend just gone i had it lowered 45mm looks and feels so much better!

@Rossi1989 where did you get the front GT badge from? i have a rear one which is from the megane.

Renault Clio GT
Hahah I'll probably avoid dipping my badges then, sounds like a testing task! And I'm really considering getting some HIDs.. Is getting the bumper off difficult? I don't fancy attempting it and cracking it haha..

Its OK about the badges the only reason i haven't re-done them is because i have lost the can, or my dad has thrown it out haha. Honestly it would have been a pain if i did it on my own, however a mate from work is very good at doing stuff with cars so i managed to get him to help take the bumper off and do the kit. there is a thread somewhere on here or the renault sport forum where it lists in order what to take out. I wouldn't like to do it on my own tho. So if you know someone thats either a mechanic or knows a bit then get them to help. I think mine cost around £30 at the most, i love them! ill try and find a picture for you :D

Renault Clio GT
Haha its alright, I have trouble posting photos too :smile: They look class, really nice colour! Where did you get them from?

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Hahah I'll probably avoid dipping my badges then, sounds like a testing task! And I'm really considering getting some HIDs.. Is getting the bumper off difficult? I don't fancy attempting it and cracking it haha..
If you do get HID's, then you need to make sure you are fitting them into projector headlights.

Renault Clio GT
Cheaper than I was expecting! Might invest in these this week haha :smile: Thanks for the help!

Renault Clio GT
My dad used to be a mechanic.. So I'll take my car and the new lights round and just look confused and needy in hope that he intervenes hahah!

AG 200 CUP
I think all GT's have the projectors if you want hids. I didn't lower mine in the end as I decided to trade it for my 200 but wish I had. Did track it though great fun :)

AG 200 CUP
@roryb was on ebay about £15 think it came from Spain though. If it's not on there try Adam at Renault Wolverhampton he should be able to sort one for you

Listerine & Poledo
Sounds like some good guidance here. I can't bring myself to think anything positive about those DRLs, sorry, but the rest should all be fun.
Nothing major, nothing that can't be put back to standard, just little tweaks that make the difference (and dont rape you for insurance!)
:)

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
I'd definitely be avoiding the DRL's. I've changed the sidelights to LED and looks pretty good and you can always just run with sidelights for the DRL look.