ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mobile Phone as Home Broadband

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
I've had a search for this and can't seem to find anything.

Virgin Media are currently doing a sim only deal for £15 for unlimited calls, texts and Internet.

My question is could this then be used to set up a mobile phone as a hot spot to basically have home broadband and a mobile phone for £15 a month?

It's not unlimited.

For customers who joined Virgin Media after 25 June 2012 excessive use over 3.5GB of data per calendar month will result in their maximum bandwidth being restricted to 3G speeds (384kbit/s downstream, 200kbit/s upstream) on our network.

SAAB 93 Aero TTiD SS
Use giffgaffs 12quid deal. Unlimited and can be tethered to my tablet even though they say you cant do it on thier website

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Some EE plans and all of three plans allow unlimited tethering.

I tether all the time at work and its great. It would be a bit fiddly at home though.

Listerine & Poledo
Depends on your actual useage.

I'd never recommend it, given you could get a basic broadband home line for, what, £17 a month? (talktalk, primus, Plusnet).

I used to use my mobile as my connection when I was on the road with work....yes it worked, but it's just not reliable enough.

Also, if people care to look into the terms and conditions of their mobile phone agreements, you may stumble across something called a "fair usage policy"...this is where they spot you're tethering and proceed to either

1) ignore it
2) flick your connection down to 2g once you break a certain amount of data (usually 1/2gb, especially on cheaper deals)
3) send you a text and tell you to stop it
4) bin off the connection altogether and send you snotty messages about upping your tariff.

again, all depends who you're with.

Clio 182
The One Plan on 3, £15 a month 'all you can eat data' and unlimited tethering.

90gb in 3 months!

This!

Although I'm just shy at around 100Gb in 4.5 months hahaha!

Note: It's rapid during the day, considerably slower in the evenings when tethered.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Mate at work does this, no complaints, but he uses on average about 20Gb per month. I actually tried this for a while but I went over my allowance of 8Gb :( I blame YouTube!

There traffic management software will slow it down if it needs to.

Especially leachers
3 doesn't seem to get slower at any point in the day/week/month.

Do you use this instead of home broadband then? What speeds do you get?
Yes - works a treat! If you have your phone plugged in via USB it charges it at the same time... bonus :)

I tend to get around 4-6mpbs. My broadband at the old house (Sky) was only getting 4 tops.