ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK4 GOLF GTI TURBO Vs CLIO 172 FF

Outta curiousity what do you think would be the results of this ?

The Golf either in 150bhp or 180 bhp form.

Does the wee clio have a chance ?

tiTTy & SV650
the wee clio will piss all over it, simple power to weight and the golfs arent exactly chuckable.

BMW M3
Golf has not chance !!!!

The mk 4s are uber slow to rival a cs in any guise other then remapped 150 TDi or R32.

Renaultsport Clio 182
I pulled convincingly on a 56 reg A3 2.0 Turbo Quattro on a motorway sliproad last night. Up to 5th gear, I had to do lazy changes to avoid hitting his back bumper every time I came on cam, it was a fair bit slower and if he hadn't gone straight into the overtaking lane Id have been straight past him once we joined!

He was definately going for it, he had driven like a nutter leading up to the sliproad!

A Mk4 1.8T should be no trouble at all, but beware the R32, they are quick!

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
nice built cars but not great performers, in a diff league to the clio tho. ive had a tustle with a local leon cupra r 225bhp and my cup has no problem with that. it does seem to pull off out of corners a bit quicker, putting that down to the turbo but like some1 else said, when the cup comes on cam she does it on the straight.

Nippy white cup
I have a mk4 150 and it is a lot slower imo (obviously a few small mods would make a difference). As said less power and more weight. At the mo a pipe has come off and I need to get it on the ramps to sort it. You want slow try a 1.8 t with no turbo lol

Chris

MERCEDES CLS AMG
The 1.8 T lump can be taken to 285bhp for about £1500 if your considering buying one - and over 400 bhp if youve got about £5k to throw at it

133/225/CLS AMG
I can quite happily say that a Clio 172 will peepee on the 150bhp Golfs.

Hat a blast with one a while back in my old 172. Both pulled off on a rolling start in 3rd, I get my foot down as did he and the Clio just edged away. Simple as that, got a thumbs up from the guy too so all good!

But he did get spanked. The new 2.0ltr turbo GTi would be a bit different though.

The Beast MK4
Actually destroyed one of these the other day on the motorway. Similar story to Alex, foot down in third and I left him.

R

rich[182]

My wifes got a late 05' 2.0 GT TDI, anyone thinks a Clio RS will own that in every scenario is talking rubbish
If your at low revs in 3rd/4th/5th and take one on assuming your gonna win, then think again, the pickup in 3rd gear from 2k rpm would destroy my 182 initially UNLESS I was near 4k revs, If I was side by side in 3rd at same revs Id have no chance INITIALLY
On the other hand 0-60, 0-100 and twisties the clio def def much quicker, but mid range its not as clearcut as people will have you think

MCS R56
Point to point, GT TDI PD FBI....whatever, will get destroyed by Clio. If you are trying to beat a car from one point to another, you will be in the optimum gear for the duration. Bye bye GT TDI! Who cares about starting at 2000rpm and flooring it. Thats like comparing a 1.6 Focus against a EVO MR FQ 400 at 30mph in top gear. The Focus will pull away initially but then get completely sh@ on. Rant over......

Nippy white cup
Lol yep.. .lets not get on the diesel/petrol argument again. If I wanted not to change gear to over take some one quickly then I would have got an auto of some kind.

Said it b4 but I'll say it again.

Me in a works Mazda 6 140+ td following Nic in the Cup up a slip road. She left it in 3rd and I was in 2nd at the bottom of the sliproad...I was keeping up at first as I went through into 3rd ...then I could hear the exhaust note change as the cup came 'on cam' and that was it....I went into 4th and she had probably pulled 7-10 cars on me...if she had chosen 2nd gear as well I would have been left straight away.

Chris

Focus ST
My mate has a Mk4 GTi Anniversary (180). On the way back from Le Mans last year we had numerous opportunities to compare from standing and rolling starts, and whilst the 182 doesn't romp away, it is noticably quicker.

We were both loaded up with gear and a passenger each which probably favoured him slightly as he had the extra torque to cope with it.

As said though, VAG 1.8T is a very tunable lump, and for relatively little cash he could be leaving me in his wake.

Mk4 Golfs are, as well as being a lot slower, also soggier than weetabix with hot milk and stodgier than week old porridge.

Better than yours. C*nt.
On the grounds that my boss has a spanking R32 which he avoids me in because he's worried of the outcome, I think it's safe to say the GTIs in any guise don't have a chance...

Car SOLD :-(
Did wonder about the 1.8T lump. My mates brother has just bought a 51 plate A4 1.8T and is banging on how quick it is (thought it was 180 as standard??). Just know if he comes across me on the road he's gonna have a go:mad:

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
On the grounds that my boss has a spanking R32 which he avoids me in because he's worried of the outcome, I think it's safe to say the GTIs in any guise don't have a chance...

Your boss would beat you in the R32 and the new GTI is just as fast as the clio

ian

Better than yours. C*nt.

Your boss would beat you in the R32 and the new GTI is just as fast as the clio

ian

Possibly, but I've got bigger tatties and the R32 is his missus's - I'd bottle it a LOT later. :approve:

Mr2 Roadster
I drive a Mk4 Golf GTi 150 chipped to over 200bhp for £300 and it is faster than my 172 for sure. We often compair speed between the two cars and he always pulls away since chipping, corner however are a different story!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
My mate had a chiped mk4 150 tdi and it used to beat me in my old 182 as well.
People just dont want to hear that on here though...lol

ian

172cup
Silver gt tdi lights on middle of the day came right up arse on Sunday afternoon.

Slipped to second on exit of sliproad and floored it. Later golf man!!

He had no chance. However, a mile down road he re=appeared overtook me on wrongside of road near a zebra crossing where two kids were playing. If I see him again in Sunderland I ll give him a piece of mind dangerous manoeuvre.

There's a time and a place for road banter.

The Bus and MRT
Silver gt tdi lights on middle of the day came right up arse on Sunday afternoon.

Slipped to second on exit of sliproad and floored it. Later golf man!!

He had no chance. However, a mile down road he re=appeared overtook me on wrongside of road near a zebra crossing where two kids were playing. If I see him again in Sunderland I ll give him a piece of mind dangerous manoeuvre.

There's a time and a place for road banter.

What a tool.... hate it when people get embarrased then decide to do something compeletly stupid which just makes them look even worse. If I get trounced I hang back and hang my head low.

As for the Golf, 150s standard are in a completely different league to the Clio. My brother was driving my 172 FF back from down south, both our birds in the car and full of luggage. Went from one motorway to another via a split slip road and a 150 GTi booted it down the left slip road about 10 car lengths ahead by the time we hit the motorway we flew past and he just had a massive grin on his face and was shaking his head is disbelief :D

180 Anniv. are a lot faster, mate had one and I thought it was the standard one, just got the clio and hit the rev limited in 2nd and 3rd :eek: :eek: I know :eek: so he stuck with me, if I hadn't would have left him but not by a huge amount, he still winds me up about it today... took him down the twisties in the clio though and he finally admitted it was a fair bit faster:D . Lovely motor though

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
rich[182];2399688 said:
My wifes got a late 05' 2.0 GT TDI, anyone thinks a Clio RS will own that in every scenario is talking rubbish
If your at low revs in 3rd/4th/5th and take one on assuming your gonna win, then think again, the pickup in 3rd gear from 2k rpm would destroy my 182 initially UNLESS I was near 4k revs, If I was side by side in 3rd at same revs Id have no chance INITIALLY
On the other hand 0-60, 0-100 and twisties the clio def def much quicker, but mid range its not as clearcut as people will have you think

yes your right but if you was racing someone and had half a brain you would get the revs up at correct rev point.