ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk3 Clio Rust Issues

2008 Clio 1.4 Dynamique
Right, I just read theduck's detailing thread and seeing as there is more than one Mk3 Clio out there besides mine thats rusting, I thought I would throw up this thread to see just how many there are.

Can you please post pics of your rust, and a brief description, and what if anything Renault have done. Would also be good to know how old your car is. Here is a quick pic of mine but the damage is running the length of this shoulder on both rear side windows. The worst spot is just below the "D" in the sticker. Im going to get more pics later.

15022009020.jpg

AK

M240i
offt didnt realise this was an issue.. will go and have a swatch of the motor when ive had my breakfast.. will report back.

Yours an 08 plate? Have u spoke to Renault yet?

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Its not just mk3 that rust, the mk2 aswell,

check behind your rear numberplate, thats were mine does, been temptin to use hammerite as no1 will see it anyways,

2008 Clio 1.4 Dynamique
Zippo, yeah mines a 2008 car, though I know for a fact it was sitting unregistered for a while before being registered in March last year. I got her in October. I went down to the dealers yesterday and told the rep that I had 2 issues with the car. 1) the adhesive on the rear lip from the SX kit has failed and 2) RUST. He pretty much went white and said show me. Hes told me to speak directly to the service manager on Monday morning. Ive a feeling they will be all over me now considering the hassle I had with my last Mk3.

@jay_low, the number plate on the Mk3 is on the rear bumper which is plastic.

I honestly thought I might have been the only one with rust on a Mk3 but having seen here that Im not, I will be pointing it out to Renault on Monday when I speak to them. Warranty FTW.

the only issues with my mk3 my drivers window seems to squeek an my steering control wheel can goes a bit stiff as for rust ive not come across any on mine

AK

M240i
just gave mine a quick look over there.. no signs of rust yet..

will have a proper look over it when i give it a clean..

54 plate, Arctic Blue 182
clio mk 3 .. (182 shapes) ?

if so mine has 12 year corrosion warranty ... check your hand book and get renault to sort it, rust is cancer for cars :dead:

clio sport 197
well i got a 2007 197 in ultra red and it got bubbles starting to push through and the roofs now starting. i got to say like the paint on them is crap. ive been back and they say they carnt do out as you only get a 6 month warrenty on paint/pannels???

Fiesta ST2
met with shorty today and seen the extent of this. we also found some found the fuel filler cap and around the boot where the window meets the metal at the bottom. it seems any flat surface it appears on. i checked mine with shorty and noticed one spot - this is what happened to shorty one spot then another.. then another etc etc

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
bloody hell thats shocking, if its already doing that imagine it at mk1 age now, there will be none left

i may buy and totally dry store a 197 cup, wont be any left in 5 years, it'll be worth a fortune

2008 Clio 1.4 Dynamique
Shorty do you have any issues with the door handles?

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=398080

No mate, no issues with the door handles. Worked fine on my last Mk3 too.

I have to admit Im thoroughly p*ssed off with Renaults right now. Especially the Mk3 Clio. I just hope this is a relatively isolated group of cars that this affects as I really dont want to believe that a car as advanced and good to drive cant be rust proofed properly on the production line. None of my other Renaults ever had an issue with rusting.

@mullen, whoever told you that is just trying to get out of sorting the issue under warranty. Im not sure how long the anti-corrosion warranty is but its at least 8 years if not longer. Im checking the manual tomorrow before I phone Renault. But to say you only get 6 MONTHS warranty on paint/panels is taking the mickey tbh :mad:

I will keep you posted tomorrow guys, but basically Im not taking no for an answer. I have several friends who are lawyers so they aint getting away with any shizz ;)

Ive seen the 197s being built on the production line in Dieppe, they are hand sprayed. Every seam is seam sealed, the shell is warmed up and hot wax is sprayed into every crevice, very well protected IMO.

The paintshop often has issues with oily panels, but usually only with a brand new model as the pressings tend to be very oily. This also causes lots of welding problems during construction. I can only imagine they've been having issues with oil and dipping process problems not fully cleaning the bodies. Either that and/or actual painting process issues.

If this does turn out to be real rust, take my advice and accept nothing less than a brand new car, with a brand new warranty. Local resprays will not solve the problem.

2008 Clio 1.4 Dynamique
If this does turn out to be real rust, take my advice and accept nothing less than a brand new car, with a brand new warranty. Local resprays will not solve the problem.

Its real rust alright. Like I said in the OP, its come up thru the paint layers, discoloured the paint around the area where its breached the lacquer and theres discolouration runs on the worst bits. And its getting worse. I hadnt noticed it on the bootlid until today. The door sills seem ok for now.

You say respraying wont fix the problem? Is there any way to cure this apart from a new car? I wont be taking a Ph1 Clio anyways, I will be waiting for the Ph2 then. Unless he wants to give me the keys to a 197, but this time Im not paying any extra. Jeez, rejecting 2 cars in 5 months. Not a great record in all honesty.

Sweeping statement on my part TBH, but if the rust is coming through from underneath, then there has been a major process failure somewhere. Once rust is in the steel, it's there, and it will come back.

2008 Clio 1.4 Dynamique
Well I dont wanna scare people, but if its been happening to some cars, even a 197 then I think all of us need to at least keep an eye on our cars.

New car. *sigh* And after me getting stuff done and parts ordered etc. Feck sake.

Coilovered Clio Dynamique
I look forward to hearing what Renault say about the issue. They like to brush things under the carpet eg melting steering wheels and leaky sunroofs etc. Lets hope all goes well for you.

54 plate, Arctic Blue 182
if a 182 like mine has 12 years, the 197s wont be much different i would guess.

get your hand book and check it out, get down to renault and do not accept no as an answer.... they will try get out of it but my friends with zetec s' had rusty sills, in the warranty period for the corrision warranty that is and they had them fully repaired and sprayed etc.

bad times.

Homo spec mazda
My cars on a 56 plate and so far no rust "touch wood", I will however keep my eyes peeled, surely replacing panels will be easiest for renault?

Glanza V
am goin in for a 197 rather than a 182 in july just for the new factor and hopefully its an f1, if this is or becomes a full issue i may change my mind and get a 182 :S good luck wif renault shorty, keep us updated! worried times. do u spend 10-12k and get summit that will make itself disapear in 5years or get a decent 182 :S damm renaults! ha!

Homo spec mazda
Atleast theres the positive bit that plastic doesnt rust, oh and rust is lighter then carbon fibre

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
This corrosion warranty is only valid for the 12 years if the car has been serviced/Inspected by an official Renault Dealer!

2008 Clio 1.4 Dynamique
Thanks for the feedback and encouragement guys :approve:

Spoke to the service manager this morning and when I mentioned the rust there was a deathly silence outta him!! To his credit though, hes been onto Renault Ireland already who have asked to see the car. Ive to go over probably tomorrow and leave her with him for a few hours at least, maybe longer. I also emailed him a pic of the worst of the rust, the pic from my OP so Im waiting on him to come back to me now. This really is the last thing I needed right now but Im beginning to feel as though the love affair with Clios is coming to an end.

I will keep you posted with updates as I get them.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
All fair enough but......................... who's to say its not been caused by a stone chip? Easy done if passed by a gritter. Then being covered in crap for a few months over the winter, clean the car, hey presto?

Just a thought

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
I'm glad the MK3 rust issue has finally come to light. I've been saying this here since the 197 Cup first showed up. We had two in the workshop with rust around the rear lamps. The paint on the MK3 is shocking to say the least.

2008 Clio 1.4 Dynamique
All fair enough but......................... who's to say its not been caused by a stone chip? Easy done if passed by a gritter. Then being covered in crap for a few months over the winter, clean the car, hey presto?

Just a thought

Well, first off I havent been anywhere near a gritter!! And secondly, I wash my car once a week, sometimes more often and Im always careful to wipe down the hard to get to places such as the petrol filler area and the window shoulders in the picture I posted. There was just one bubble at first and over the last few weeks Ive noticed more and more blotches. And the damage has also popped up on the drivers side and now on the bootlid too. And I know the difference between a stone chip and rust damage. A stone chip has a characteristic depression of the metal where the stone hits. These blotches and bubbles dont. The metal feels level and where the breach occurs it even rises up slightly.

Anyways, small update. The dealer phoned me a little after 5pm to tell me to bring the car down at lunchtime tomorrow (Tuseday) and they will have a look at the car there while I wait. Surprisingly, Renault are taking this extremely seriously as a representitive from Renault Ireland's technical division will be there waiting for me to look the car over. Now, whether this is because of the dreaded R word, or because of the hassle I had with my last Mk3 I dont know. It could be a combination of the two or just a lucky happening where the chap was available. Thankfully Renault Ireland seem to take things more seriously than what I hear about Renault UK. They seem to have a proper sense of customer service, which is refreshing.

I tried to book mine in today. They didnt have a slot with a courtesy car untill April. Called Renault UK, was asked if it was a complaint or general enquiry, said it was a bit of both, she said in that case someone would have to call me back, took my mobile number and I am still waiting for a call!