ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 Pic request...

N/A
Hey,

Am nearly 17 an prob gonna get a Mk1 Clio, goin to view one this week. Am tryin to decide what to do to it if I buy it. So can you help me out an post some tidy Mk1's.

Cheers

S2000
Welcom to the club mate. There is another thread HERE which was posted recently and should have what you are after.

What sort of clio are you going to see? (1.2, 1.4 etc)

N/A
Cheers mate.

Tis a 1.2, already got a few mods on it, but I'm not that keen on em, so will have a set of rims for sale if I get it lol. Tis cheap, looks abit too cheap really, so I am gonna go an have a look at it. I have got more money, so I can get a few things fixed, or buy a better one, but I can't find many decent ones for about £1k in my area

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1997-RENAULT-CLIO-RL-1-2-VERSAILLES-BLACK_W0QQitemZ4599746254QQcategoryZ9861QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thats the one I am going to view, poor pics tho

N/A
Thats why am not too sure about it. I am looking for something already modified, cos I am doing an apprenticeship I ain't gettin paid loads, so I can't afford to save for me next car an spend loads doin this one up.

Clio 172
Tbh I would leave that one alone.... but by all means if its local why not look at it. Just dont rush Like others say looks like its been ragged + not looked after + has damage.

You can pick up a decent 1.2 for pritty gd money now with gd service history.

Would you not prefer buying a standard one (more likly to have not been ragged) and mod it yourself?

Last edited:
  N/A
Yer would prefer to do that. But I am only lookin to keep this for about 12 months, then buy a new, quicker car. So I need to save money for that, aswell as buy mods for this. An I don't get paid that much, £375 a month til August. I don't think I will be buying this one, but I live in the same place as the current owner, so it's worth a look.

S2000
Chris G said:
Yer would prefer to do that. But I am only lookin to keep this for about 12 months, then buy a new, quicker car. So I need to save money for that, aswell as buy mods for this. An I don't get paid that much, £375 a month til August. I don't think I will be buying this one, but I live in the same place as the current owner, so it's worth a look.

If you are carefull with your money you will be able to do that OK mate. I currently make about £250 a month (part time job as I'm at uni) but manage to run my car and have got (or will soon have) it lowered, alloys, full exhaust system etc. I plan on upgrading in the summer but in the meantim I have only spent about £300 getting all my mods. I've found ebay to be the best way of getting cheap modifications.

Clio 172
Chris G said:

I sort of done both in one but had a higher wage then 375 a month. I saved up b4 I was 17 and then bought a clio 16v! which is a b**ch to insure but just managed with mods ontop. I then learnt to drive in it and passed my test in it + modded it a bit more. The good thing is I am not looking to upgrade to a faster car so no money is lost so far apart from all the bills for repairs. Tbh having said that for alot of people having 140 bhp for a first car is damn right stupid (well thats what people told me) but I have now had my licence for a year.

Anyway gd luck and hope you find a gd 1.2.

Also look into 1.4 rt's they are not much more on insurance if I remember correctly and will keep you happy for longer providing you can handle the power without using it stupidly. My m8 pays 1300 for his 1.2 if I remember correctly where as my other m8 pays 1400 for his 1.4 rt.

Try elephant (better on bigger engines I have found)
Norwich union (when I checked gave 50% off for having pass plus! so consider that although was no use to me as for my car I need to be 19 to be with them lol)
+ maybe try confused.com for a quote from lots of companys.

I would also check local paper for cars as you are more likly to find a bargain near to you.

N/A
I suppose I could really, an just keep it a bit longer.

Tis annoyin not bein loaded lol

Cheers m8. A 16v for your first car! My dads payin my 1st year on insurance, so he wants me to get something like a 1.2, maybe a 1.4.

Clio 172
Yea took alot of work! trust me! and I am not minted and my dad didnt pay for insurance etc.

Just I feel the 1.4 will serve you better and will not cost to much extra! but check this out tho.

Anyone know the diff in bhp?

Phase 1 and 2 where 80 bhp on the 1.4 and then went to 75 on the phase 3.

Not sure of the 1.2 but I am guessing around 65 - 70?

N/A
They have got 60bhp according to What Car

Will get some quotes on a 1.4, I was lookin at a Maxim aswell and didnt bother cos I thought about the insurance

Clio 172
Is the maxim not more to insure? Not sure tbh.

1.2 or 1.4 is your best bet...

The 1.2's are pritty rapid for the size of engine.... would most likly beat alot of other 1.2's.

Get insurance quotes + keep an eye out for both if insurance is ok with the 1.4.

Anyway gd luck

Clio 172
Not sure if the 1.2's have: Electric windows, power steering, remote central locking, fogs, switches etc?

Is that correct? correct me if I am wrong plz.

N/A
Donno tbh

I have still got another 7 weeks til I'm 17, so I am just keeping my eyes open for now and looking at anything that could be good. WIll get desperate if I havent got anything this time next month.

Cheers

Atlantis Blue 1.2 Corsa B
mk1 ph1 1.4 has leccy windows, central locking, fogs
mk1 ph2 1.4 has leccy windows, central locking, power steerin, leccy sunroof, fogs

i know becasue i bought mine and then saw a 1 yr newer, pph2 for same prive in same colour, gutted :(

ok heres my first Renault
1.4 RT,
Cliort.jpg

heres my fisrt valver
mycar2.jpg

mycar.png

and heres my current valver

mynewcar.jpg

Clio4.gif

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I would go for the newest Mk1 you can afford, irrespective of mods. Better to have a mint, lightly modified car than a chavved up shed.

The 1.4 will be a better bet too. Grp 5 iirc.

320d
The ebay blue one used to belong to someone on here... can't remember who, think it might have been Bayliss

Very tasteful for a 1.2

mk1 phase 3
looks good mate, how much is that lowered on the back? what size rims? and loads of people are thinking it..please take the lexus lights off, ruined a nice car imo.

N/A
Cheers everyone

victim_of_society_15 you clio would be perfect for me lol.

I saw that Williams rep, but thought there was a bit too much wrong with it and I think where it is, is too far from where i live.

I am going to look at a nearly standard Clio 1.2 on Sunday hopefully. "P" reg, 54k, maroon, 10 disc multi changer, 11 months mot, 6 months tax, £699 ono. This looks in better condition then the one on eBay. Looking into prices of rims, lowering springs etc to see how long it will take me to get it looking good.

Beetle
Chris G said:
I am going to look at a nearly standard Clio 1.2 on Sunday hopefully. "P" reg, 54k, maroon, 10 disc multi changer, 11 months mot, 6 months tax, £699 ono. This looks in better condition then the one on eBay. Looking into prices of rims, lowering springs etc to see how long it will take me to get it looking good.
naples red;) sounds a good buy.

Coupe f7r, miss the clio
the wheels are 15's and its lowered about 100mm on the back but i had it lifted a bit because it scrapes like hell when someones in the back i think its at about -60mm now

Disastra Coupe
p60200082ma.jpg

There's mine matey.

The 1.2 Williams Rep looks a good buy. To be fair, with mine I got a bargain. The car originally cost me £300. It needed a new clutch but had just had new rear drums. I've since then put a new engine in, front disc's and pad's, full repsray and stuff. But I've done most of this work myself (with my dad) and his friend's who own a bodyshop sprayed it. Overall mine's cost about £800. So there is that way of going about it, but it could also back fire. And if you ask me the Mk1 Phase1 looks so much nicer than the Phase2's lol.

Disastra Coupe
Oh no. Don't get me wrong, I think the later Mk1's look nice too. Just prefer the front end of the Phase 1. But that's mu opinion:D

Beetle
ch!ppen said:
Oh no. Don't get me wrong, I think the later Mk1's look nice too. Just prefer the front end of the Phase 1. But that's mu opinion:D
phase 1's and 2's are virtually the same at the front, it's the phase 3 that got a small facelift with the rounder lights;)

Coupe f7r, miss the clio
ollie_yesclio said:
loads of people are thinking it..please take the lexus lights off, ruined a nice car imo.

i think the lexus lights suit the colour of the car and what else would you suggest???? standard red looks shite!! imo

Beetle
i saw some clear ones on ebay the other day that i'd not seen before, they weren't lexus style, just like clear lights that everyone had years ago