ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
Re: Mk1 172 Hybrid Track Car Project

Jord what did you decide to do in the end regarding towing it everywhere and not having it road legal?

Decided not to for now, even though it was mentioned that I could probably do it without doing the towing licence as long as I got one huge ass tow car.

Thing is, im 21 in february so waiting until then to get a 'proper' decent every day car, as insurance will be reasonable, so for now im just looking out for the cheapest runabout I can find. Also, at the moment ive got nowhere to store a car on a trailer...I *should* be getting the use of a garage for a couple of months in the next week or so, but its nowhere near big enough for a trailer too.

Other things that came into the equation were if I wanted to blast it down to the Ring at any point next year, or anywhere out of the country...dont want to be faffing around towing abroad.

Considering im only thinking of keeping the car for another year and then probably starting a new project, Il probably end up getting a decent car in Feb/March time and running them both on the road for the remainder of the year, then break the Mk1 for parts. The next project whatever that may be will probably be heavily weighted towards the use of a trailer!

superbenji88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i

The next project whatever that may be will probably be heavily weighted towards the use of a trailer!
_45389543_006741594-1.jpg

:)

To finish the year off... a short video of some of the best highlights. Impossible to include every best bit a the video would be ten times longer, but the clips used are some of my favourites.

[youtube]fiRD5bhQDPQ[/youtube]

Megane RS 250

Nice video...lol the highlights were the spuns? It seems very fast, at least looking at how you passed those other clios. How much does it weight?

Yeah, it was just a summary of all the fun times that have been had this year, weather it be spins or otherwise!

Car weighs ~810-812kg with the Superleggeras, 820kg with the Williams Speedlines.

Megane RS 250

That's so light...even if the engine was stock it should be very fun to drive!
I like these hybrids, a friend of mine had a CRX (non del sol, the one with the strange rear windows) with a tuned Integra engine, shockingly fast. He kept an almost stock (i'd said a bit rusty) look, so funny on track against M3s and the lot...

Vids awesome, cars awesome, boys awesome! Got some skills! Read it all from day one and it still suprises me the things you come up with and the problems you overcome.

You also have some epic luck! Close to some of the finest armco barriers around the country! :rasp:

Car was looking well before Sam...thought yeah its gotta be him there aint' no other mega low Lupos round here that ive seen!

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP

haha, your car looked sweet... not very luxurious mind!!

IMG_7945.jpg

To:

__Photo476.jpg

B-Pillars & Start of Door Bar Gussets
__Photo474.jpg

A-Pillars
__Photo477.jpg

Big Thanks to Stu for sorting those out for me. Also got quite a bit of 45mm CDS on the way for cage modifications and additions.

Just need to get the windscreen out now and it fully off the road so I can get cracking on with the welding work! :cool:

Last edited:

Well all the gussets are done and here, along with the door bar blanks ready to be cut to the shape/angle of the door bars once ive done them.

IMG_8676.jpg

IMG_8677-1.jpg

IMG_8681-1.jpg

The car itself has been messing me around over the past few weeks. High pitch squeeking from the cambelt area that I thought was the waterpump (only 10k old), but Im now 99% sure its the dephaser pulley...so that needs addressing. I knew it needed replacing anyway (play/diesel idle/noise as it switches) but the squeek is only recent. Clutch release bearing has also started rattling on idle at times, which is only around 8k old also :dapprove:

Also got an oil leak from behind the flywheel, Im guessing crank seal. The starting issue has also come back, where it turns the engine over once and then I get a huge pause before it fires up normally. I previously thought this was the starter motor so I got one from Burp, but it seems to have made no difference. Suppose I better get the battery checked in the new year!

Main priority is just to get my list of welding done and the interior painted, then Im most likely going to leave it how it is as I cant be bothered modifying it any more, getting bored of modifying/messing with it now.

Engine needs to come out to see whats leaking, to sort the squeek/dephaser issue, and some other little bits. Then Il hopefully just be leaving it changes/modifying wise and using it as much as possible next year.

I feel your pain with French build quality now... I've spent a wedge fixing gearbox and cam cover leak/new cambelt/aux belt to (suppose you will save on labour but it's just whether you can be arsed! lol)

I want to know 2010 plans! Will the new project still be Riggy as F'uck?

M

mini-valver

You sure the rattle is the release bearing and not the input shaft bearings??

Could possibly be, Coops said the same to me yesterday. Its a low milage/age 'newer' JB3, but I guess it could be either.

Any way of checking shaft bearings without stripping the box apart?

M

mini-valver

Get in the bay with it idling and just have a pul on the clutch lever, when you pull it back (as you would to engage the clutch) you'll put pressure on the release bearing and the noise wil either change or go away. If it doesn't and its a mettalic rattle, assume its the box. They live forever like it anyway, wouldn't worry. My JB3 did the same, swapped it for a JB1, that lasted a thousand miles before it started, lol.

clio williams

hello from greece,awesome project!!please let me know where i can't find solid top mounts for my willy!! thanks for your time

clio williams

thanks for your guick reply,do you know if it's any avaliable stock and where to order it? i am member to williamsclio.co.uk but i guess leaving in greece it's not easy to group buy with other's clio mates!

Kam-Racing are running the group buy and are taking payments as the first batch is on the way to them apparently. If you drop them a message Im sure they will be able to arrange something with regards to posting them out to you

Once it comes apart to have the welding etc done it will no longer be a daily from then on!

Just had some fun picking up 30 meters of 45mm tube (Cold Drawn Seamless), comes in 6 meter runs, cut them in half and still struggled to get them back in a five door focus...

DSC00611.jpg

DSC00615.jpg

DSC00616.jpg

And no, im not using the whole 30m myself lol! Can hopefully crack on now...

Mk1 F4R

My god how bad was it in the car, had to srt off every were in 3rd as the pipes were in the way of the gear stick lol :dapprove:
Could only use 3rd 4th and 5th and it was bloody cold, hope someone on here has as much fun as we did getting it in and out lol
Thanks for rubbing the number plate out as my dad would kill me if he found out