ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Re: Mk1 Hybrid Project

^Good. I've finally read through it all now!
You're doing a great job documenting it. MOAR!

Day 55

Set about fitting the cambelt tonight, as I wanted to try and get the engine in on Friday. Started by removing the alternator setup, then the bracket holding the power steering pump and pipes on. After those were off, I removed the covers for the cambelt, which looked relatively unused.

IMG_1397.jpg

The first problem I hit was the type of bolts holding one of the pulleys and the waterpump on were female torx bits, which I did not have, so couldnt really do much. I had sourced a pair of Volvo brackets for the alternator setup, allowing me to run the car with no power steering pump. Unfortunately I could not use the Volvo alternator, as the pulley is only 5 rib, I needed it to be 6.

IMG_1401.jpg

As I couldnt do the waterpump or cambelt without the female torx bits, I trial fitted the alternator setup, using the original Valver alternator. Everything went on as it should, the only thing missing was a belt. The original belt was 1040mm, I needed one that was between 800-830mm.

IMG_1404.jpg

Day 56

I didn’t manage to get the cambelt fitted yesterday, due to not having the female torx bits needed for the waterpump and one of the pulleys. After managing to find a set of bits this morning, I got on with doing the cambelt and waterpump. I also eventually managed to get hold of an auxiliary belt, so everything could be built up at once.

After removing all the cambelt covers, and turning the engine over by hand until the top two timing marks lined up, the crank was locked to stop it from moving once the cambelt was removed. After locking the crank, I removed the tensioner, then took the belt off.

IMG_1405.jpg

IMG_1407.jpg

After removing the cambelt, I needed to remove the idler pulley. There was another cover hiding the two bolts for this, which proved to be a nightmare after one of the bolts rounded off. I had to drill the head off the bolt, then use mole grips on the remaining thread to remove it from the block. Once it was removed, the idler pulley bolts could be seen, which brought along the next problem.

IMG_1410.jpg

IMG_1412.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

After trying to undo the nuts with an allen key, it seemed they were trying to round off as I tried to turn them. I ended up having to go out and buy a 6mm allen key socket, which worked in getting the two bolts off, which were stupidly tight. Once the new idler was fitted, and the cover replaced with a new bolt, the next job was to fit the new cambelt and tensioner.

IMG_1414.jpg

The cambelt went on easily, and all the timing marks lined up. Then fitted the tensioner, and adjusted the tension and tightened up the bolt to lock it in position. Then I turned the engine over by hand a few times, and checked the tension again. It needed adjusting slightly, so after that, I turned it over again to check everything was ok.

IMG_1416.jpg

After I was happy everything was tight, I re-fitted the cambelt covers and the bottom crank pulley. The last thing to do was fit and tension the auxiliary belt, which drives the alternator and waterpump from the crank pulley. Once the belt was fitted and tensioned, the engine was near enough ready to go back into the car. I swapped a few things over from the other engine, like the gear linkage and the auxiliary waterpump.

IMG_1419.jpg

Day 57

Now the engine was timed up, and the new belts fitted, it was ready to be dropped in. It didnt take long to get the engine sat back in the car, only about half an hour. Once the engine was in place, the mounts were bolted back in, and the engine was fully supported. I needed to go and buy oil and coolant, so I went to get it before doing anything else.

IMG_0029.jpg

Once I had everything that was needed, I connected everything back to the engine. Radiator and the associated piping was done first, then things like throttle cable, clutch cable, engine loom connections, map sensor, manifold downpipe, exhaust and fuel lines.

IMG_0031.jpg

Next, I connected the ECU to the loom, and reconnected the battery. Then filled the engine with oil, and filled up the coolant. It was ready to be started for the first time…

http://www.vimeo.com/2127842 (Please ignore the commentary by drunknmunky ;) )

It started first time, and the cambelt had been fitted correctly, which was the thing I was most worried about. Now that it started and ran, I needed to bolt the hubs to the shocks properly, fit the new track rod ends, set up the tracking and get the car off the axle stands. Once all that was done, I took it for a quick drive down the road without a bumper or bonnet, to see if everything was in order. The difference was unbelievable, it was like a completely different car.

IMG_0035.jpg

After the quick drive, I took it back home and re-fitted the bonnet and bumper. I also noticed a slight leak from the gearbox while this was being done, which I didnt have time to look at as it was late, so thats a job for the next few days.

audi a6 3.0tdi

Is it quick?

Nick says it was but if you were racing him anything would look quick (only kidding nick ;))

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

It was an awesome feeling when it started first time... although i wasn't surprised... you've done it properly, after all. ;)

Nick's dancing made it in the video too... even if he does eat my gherkins.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon

Its ALIVE!! Good work Jord.....Winston has taught you well....the force is stong with you.

Roll on IOM.

wait and see ;)

eventually its updated:) it is silly quick but considering it weighs like 900kgs with 150bhp-ish it should be

R56 JCW

Sorry for lookin like a tit lol, seriously its quick!!! think it would give pretty much anything for its money

i love the nick and his comments lol where was the brap brap brap??? if only immi was present lol

looks like a great project lad, will be home soon enough for mini meets galour!!

jamie

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

Watching the vid again... give it some more welly ;) When's peak power on the F7R? 6500rpm ish?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

Its not shy is it. Is the 2.0 rev limiter lower than the 1.8 then?

From the vid, it seems so, yeah.

I wanna see how much quicker it is than mine, seeing as it's pretty hardcore! Love it Jord... needs to go more hardcore though ;)

Poly windows
Carbon or fibreglass panels
JP single box exhaust

:evil:

Racing blue 182 turbo :-)

Ye like u can reach speeds like that on the tyre road

Is it your car "no" till you get a car, worry about it yourself, but u have to pass your theory test first, was gonna comment on the last one you did, you make me laugh danny
No need to be so snappy mate.

wait and see ;)

Ye like u can reach speeds like that on the tyre road

Is it your car "no" till you get a car, worry about it yourself, but u have to pass your theory test first, was gonna comment on the last one you did, you make me laugh danny
i think someones sense on humour has gone out the window recently