ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Re: Mk1 Hybrid Project

Well, not heated screen as such, but got a little idea for something that will demist very quickly, hidden too ;)

ValverInBits

god damn it. The secrets you keep from us are just SOOOOO annoying.

Guess: You've bought a mizn JML screen wipe?

320d

nah......valver box, easier mounting wise on the bogbone + battery tray IIRC....but the ratios are a bit nicer too I think.......

No lump or loom or ecu yet

The valver box is almost brand new aswell so has plenty of life left in it. Are they strong enough to run a 172 engine with mods in the future i.e. ITB's

Well, not heated screen as such, but got a little idea for something that will demist very quickly, hidden too ;)

wired screen? like in fords?

diy (detrimental ideas yo) jordan fox styly???!!!

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer

good luck with the 172 conversion mate :)

i'm usually around if you need any tips/advice

Day 131

Made a bit of progress today, drove 450 ish mile round trip to pick up a bargin 172 engine I found for sale. Set off early doors heading for Hampshire, was originally going to use a van, but ended up going in the Valver. Engine went straight into the back with a bit of persuasion.

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

Its a 172 Ph1 engine, on 80k, exactly what I need. Also included the engine loom, ECU, 172 starter motor, all the coolant hoses, interior loom, decoder, keys and UCH (Don't even need this stuff for the conversion, oh well!). Had a bit off good luck also, the ECU I got with the engine is the exact one I was told by Matteh that was required to get the conversion working easily, result!

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0693.jpg

Drove it back, and had a bit of fun trying to get the engine into the factory where I store all my stuff, up steps, down a public footpath, everything possible to make it harder! Anyway, more updates soon, lots to do now!

IMG_0697.jpg

IMG_0699.jpg

ZX6R B1H

give it a few months get it fitted and then i'll start doing mine in the williams lol :D

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

Awesome!

About time too!

Nice picture message today... knew you'd find one. Lucky that you managed to source everything together though! :approve:

ITB'd 182...

Good going Jord!

Cant wait to see the project unfold! Especialy now the weather seems to be warming up :)

Yeah....well I may have found a barn to put the hybrid in, going to check it out tommorow to give it a look over, if its all good its getting put there :approve:

Yozza'd Titanium 182

in the time any normal person... fits an RS grille... colour codes there badges.... makes a cup of tea or something, jordan like fits an engine in like 12 mins n s**t

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer

good luck with the conversion mate

feel free to give me a shout if you need help with anything and matteh isn't around :)

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v

Oooooh another one. If you run into trouble and can't get hold of matteh or geesus feel free to give me a shout.

Day 132

I started working out the valver loom about a week ago, but only got round to doing it properly tonight. Stripped it off the engine, along with the 172 engine loom off the other engine too. Matteh had given me his list of connections for a Ph1 valver engine loom, but unfortunately its alot different to my Ph2 valver engine loom.

As Im mating the 172 engine loom to a the valver engine bay connections, I needed to know what goes into the connector blocks on the valver loom, then trace it back on the 172 loom.

IMG_0714.jpg

I eventually got a drawing of what was what on the valver looms engine bay connection blocks, so I need to start chopping them up next, more soon!

Day 133

After completing the drawing of the Valver engine loom yesterday, I set about working out what connectors were what on the 172 engine loom.

Eventually got there, as you can see from the image below. Hopefully this may be useful to someone somewhere also! Going to work out what I need to keep from the Valver loom, and strip that down tommorow...

IMG_0721_labelled.jpg

Day 134

Now I had worked out what everything was on the 172 engine loom, I needed to get modifying it. To run the 172 conversion, I need to wire in three connectors from the Valver loom, Oil Level, Coolant Temprature Sensor and the Alternator wiring. The 172 coolant temprature sensor stays in the loom also, to drive a certain part of the ECU.

I stripped all the loom tape off the Valver loom, and worked out which path the wires for those three sensors took. Once I had found them, I pulled the wires from the loom all the way back to the connector blocks, leaving them connected. I decided to leave them connected to save more soldering, as the two Valver connector blocks are going to be merged onto the 172 engine loom.

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0891.jpg

I left it at that and didnt bother chopping the connector blocks off today, as I wanted to double check everything again. More soon...

IMG_0889.jpg

Day 135

Now I knew what needed to be removed from the valver loom, that was the first job for today. I double checked that the right wires were being kept, then pulled them out of the loom, along with chopping all the unused wires off; obviously leaving enough spare to join up with the 172 loom.

IMG_0896.jpg

At first, the removed wires were a mess, so I tidied and taped them up, as can be seen in the picture. Now all I had left were two connector blocks, 3 pairs of wires (Oil Level, Coolant Temp and Alternator), so these needed joining to the 172 loom.

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0907.jpg

Whats left to connect...

IMG_0912.jpg

I stripped all the loom tape off the 172 loom, and laid the connector blocks/partial Valver loom in the correct places. You can see in the picture how everything matches up to the correct place. Now I knew the loom did fit, I started to remove everything that was not needed from the 172 loom, wiring wise. This started with cutting the main connector block off, and then removing wiring.

IMG_0918_labelled_additions.jpg

This included: Air Conditioning Wiring, 172 Alternator Wiring, 172 Oil Level Sensor Wiring, Speedo Sensor Wiring, some wiring that lead to the PAS system, and a lot of wires leading to the ECU that were no longer needed.

IMG_0932.jpg

You can see in the picture below how much of the loom was removed. Next I joined the wires from the valver connector blocks to the bare wires off the 172 loom, there was only around 5/6 as im retaining the 3 connectors and associated wiring from the Valver loom.

IMG_0921.jpg

The last job I did today was to wire two wires onto two of the wires what were cut off the ECU, which are the fault finding lines. This will allow the OBD port from the interior 172 loom to be wired up. Basically its nearly there, just need to sort of the permanant lives from the connector blocks to the 172 loom, then it just needs wrapping back up, and thats one job out of the way, hopefully it should be plug in and go!

IMG_0929.jpg

I have also documented the Valver Ph1 + Ph2, and 172 looms in PDF format if anyone ever needs them. I have also gone over alot of the images and labelled them to make this whole process alot easier if anyone else ever needs help with doing it. Contact me if you want to see any of the images or PDFs!