ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Misfire on the Track Car...

Clio 182 FF
I got my 172 cup track car out of storage today and its been parked up since March.

It was running fine when I put it into storage so its strange that it has now developed a misfire.

Symptoms:

• Sounds like a Subaru when revved
  • Loss of power
  • Can here it popping out the exhaust
  • Strangely it smells almost like firecrackers?
  • No engine warning light
I have a track day next week so need to get it sorted asap.

04BGFF182CLIORS
Mine is doing the exact same thing today.

Will be plugged into ODB tonight, gotta be coilpack/injectors I recon!

Clio 182 FF
Just tried a coilpack and still the same so that rules that out.

Got another set of Leads and 02 sensor to try tomorrow then last resort injectors. There is a strong smell of fuel so I suspect its going to be an injector.

What the deal with injectors btw, refurb? replace? How much is it gonna cost :(

Also is there anyway to diagnose an injector fault without having it plugged in to diagnostic equipment.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Engine running and disconnect the jets one at a time. If the engine note changes for the worse the injector was working. If you unplug one and it makes no difference... BINGO!

SQ5
It's much easier to do that than test leads. And it's 4 bolts as you'll need to get the fuel rail guard off ;)

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
How long has car been standing for?

​Fuel, our old petrol mower hated the fuel left in it ;)

Clio 182 FF
Engine running and disconnect the jets one at a time. If the engine note changes for the worse the injector was working. If you unplug one and it makes no difference... BINGO!

Brilliant I'll try that tomorrow!

I've managed to borrow an Autel diagnostics reader so will give that ago as well.

Its bound to be a simple fix.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Injectors are wired in banks so I don't think they will show up as individually faulty on diags. May be better off with the methods above tbh

Clio 182 FF
Injectors are wired in banks so I don't think they will show up as individually faulty on diags. May be better off with the methods above tbh

Just tried it quickly, injector 4! Can they be cleaned up or is it a new one?

SQ5

They do, mine did using the Snap On Diags.

New injector, they're cheap new from Renault.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
They can be cleaned/refurb'd but not worth the effort imo. The cost new is about £45 so easier to just bite the bullet and call GSF for one.

Clio 182 FF
I can get one on a staff sale from euro but I am suspect as to the quality for parts like this. I'll have a ring round tomorrow anyway, just glad its a simple fix.

04BGFF182CLIORS
Any luck with this dude?

Picked up a new injector today ready to be fitted tomorrow - fingers and balls crossed it works!

Clio 182 FF
Just! £40 later and I found out in wasn't the injector! It was the HT lead hence why nothing changed when I pulled out injector 4. When I did my last track day back in march I checked the plugs after I had put it away and must have nipped the lead because its bridging. Now I need to get some new leads!

04BGFF182CLIORS
Glad to hear it buddy!

Mine is now running on 3 constantly. I had all the plugs out and lead off which I think disturbed something as the misfire has gone from being intermittent to constant. Leads and plugs next!