ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Minor Dilema

fad

Clio 182 FF
Right guys, as the story goes I joined up here a while agao when I came very close to buying a Clio 182, the advice was sound and the resources were good.

I used to own a Valver Corsa so was looking for something with similar performance but a little more flair. However I ducked out at the last moment and bought an mk4 Astra GSi Turbo. I was very happy with it until Sunday when I went on the 'Kent Run' with the Pistonheads lot and was very very impressed by a Clio 172. Don't know if the guy is off here his user name on PH is S22 JGS. I was able to keeep up with my group on the strights but when it came to the twisties it was another story.

My Dilema is do I sell up something that is comfy looks good and is dead relaible for a little pocket rocket like a 182?

I'd like to point out I do 50 miles a week if I am lucky and do not drive like I stole it (although if i got a Cliosport I feel I may)

Just wish for some Advice from current 182 owners or people have moved onto to different metal and whether they would go back? The general consensus from people is I would be taking a step backwards rather than forwards and that I would miss my trouble free motoring.

Heres a picture for your perusal, I do know this is a clio site but I am hoping for some unbiased, and useful opinions.

astragsi_anthra_003.jpg

astragsi_anthra_005.jpg

pistonheads_002.jpg

and the said Clio that blew me away round the country lanes :lol:

pistonheads_008.jpg

Ultra Blue R26
That's Steve's Clio, I think I read your comments on Pistonheads. You do have to bear in mind that his Clio is not exactly standard.

F/F Titanium 182
Hello! Nice car mate. The 182 wouldn't be a step back, it is an brilliant car and comes highly reccommended!!!

Classic Mini Cooper
Yep, definately go for the Clio mate, although don't expect wonders in the build quality, epsecially the interior! When I had my 172, I had it for 6 years and never ever let me down engine wise, sure the leather gear gaiter fell off, the door trim fell off, the clio and sport badge fell off, the boot catch broke twice, the rear screen washer jet fell off twice, the electric window pod came off, the headlight washer came off, the bonnet release broke, the rear wheel bearings failed twice, the back box on the exhaust rusted and fell off 3 times, the trim in the back kept coming off, so yes mate, get a clio!!! Saying that the majority of this happened under warranty, but i reckon the astra's build quality would be miles better than a renault:)

fad

Clio 182 FF
S22 JGS is no way a standard lil car!

I kinda figured that out :p

I know the spec and the Mark Fisher motorsport stickers are a bit of a giveway, and to be honest from the spec he gave me its not really had much done to it as in engine modwise.

Just a bit aprehahensive taking that step to french :eek:

i had a 182 before my VX turbo, and i would definately have another one, without a doubt.. they are awesome!

Darren on here has a 225 megane and also said he'd have another clio in a flash, he had the 172 cup

fad

Clio 182 FF
you were surprised you got left behind by a clio??? you were lucky it wasn't a cup!!!

Not suprised as such just it seemed a lot quicker than I expected and compared to the various 182's I test drove. Just shows how far a decent suspension setup can go. I drive a Saxo VTS on a daily basis when the keys are availible so its not like I havent driven anything that handles well. Just teh french build quality that puts me off.

I am more of a drag strip adict than a country lane racer hence why I didnt buy the Clio in the first place. Just fancy a change now.

fad

Clio 182 FF
Maxogen (my bad) intake
Sraight through exhaust
and a HR camber suspension setup by Mark Fish

This is what he mentioned to me on PH

1.6 focus zetec....
I'd stick to the astra imo... A mate of mine owns an astra 2.2 turbo and has spent around £20k on it so far, very nice example

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I always say this but I tested a mk4 GSi as I so wanted one, after the test and geting ack into the Clio I didn't want one anymore :(

Looks good, good interior, nice engine, gearbox and suspension let it down. The box was terrible, made the Clio felt so tight and direct after, and that's saying something :p

I'd take the Clio out idealtrry a few tpes ie Cup 182/172 and see which you like. Depends on what you ant realy froma car the Astra a different segmant car.

BMW F31
yeah thats steve's clio, im not surprised he blew an astra gsi away lol! get it done mate and get a 1*2! if you get anywhere near steves car in terms of looks etc it will be gorgeous!! :)