ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Michelin Exalto's crack under low mileage?

Goliath I
One of my friends took her 182 cup to (either National tyres or Kwik Fit) and they told her NOT to get Michelin Exaltos as she doen't do enough mileage for them and they'll crack before they wear....

Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
yes, but same with any tyre......if you have them on the car for 4 years without changing them they will start to crack.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Rubber perishes over time. It's only the same principle with regards to the cambelt on the 182's. Needs changing every 5 years. Why - because it will break other wise.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
To be fair they are right. If she buys budget for eg the rubber might be tougher ie not as soft/grippy but perish less easily.

RSC 182 Cup
My 182 was made in May 2005 and I replaced my Exaltos late last year - they'd only covered 18000km. A friend bought them off me and is using them currently on his 172. They didn't have any signs of cracking (but the vehicle is garaged.)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
they will over time yes, no worse than any other tire really, but the issue is because they are hard tyres they last ages! just swap the fronts and the backs once they start to wear though and they will be fine

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
whats wrong with 5 year old tyres? as long as the rubber hasn't perished they should be ok surely?

Funilly enough, I noticed some small cracks appearing on the rears on my car. They have been on 12 months. The Mrs does about 8000 miles a year in it. Was thinking of going back to the supplier and kicking off tomorrow actually!!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I have to bin countless tyres at work due to perishing/cracking. Funnily enough, most are michelins! (Granted, not PE's, but still michelins)