ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

meguires v autoglym

Black Clio GT
just getting into detailing and spent £60ish the other week in halfords on autoglym shampoo, clay kit, resin polish and gloss protection and various cloths pads/towels/new noodle mit which has made a massive improvement to the cars paint but it still has some light swirling/lacquer scratches on the roof/rear quarters.
noticed today, while having a wonder round on my dinner that meguires do a 3 stage polish/protection and clay kit so my question is should i just stick with autoglym or is meguires better for the few quid extra or can you recomend me some similarly priced products that will help me move myself/car up the detailing ladder without spending shed loads on expensive waxes/learing how to use a mop........

Bumder With A Buffer
If I was you I'd stick with what your using...the autoglym Super Resin polish and Extra Gloss Protection combo is very underestimated.

PH2 Clio 172
I use Meguiars, you can't really go wrong with that or Autoglym. Meguiars do a product called Swirl X that might help tidy up the roof etc.

Discounted 1*2 parts
hand polishing will never remove all your swirls, you'll need a machine for that

i've always stuck with hand polishing and as long as your patient you get good results :)

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Unless you wanna get really serious and machine polish for hours on end, stick with what you are doing.

Black Clio GT
cheers, should i add anything to my kit to help cut the swirls, noticed autoglym did a £40 tin of wax, is this worth the money and at what point should i put it on??
at the moment my steps are

jetwash
wheels/shuts/arch plastics
wash with two bucket method
rinse with hose
dry
clay
wash
rinse with hose
dry
resin polish
gloss protection
polish glass
tyre shine

sit down with a beer and admire.....

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Auto glym srp followed by a coat of collinites 476 wax, unreal depth and shine.

Bumder With A Buffer
Use the process u posted above (apart from claying everytime) and after resin polish use collinite 476 as Ali said. Lasts ages.

You can get it from either i4detailing/cleanyourcar/waxamomo etc etc.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
You only need to clay once every couple of months. And if tyou put a few layers of wax/sealent on, you can just wash dry and wipe over with QD.

Black Clio GT
thanks guys, think ill treat my self to some more ag stuff and some of that coillinite wax, should i put it on before gloss protection, after gloss protection or bin the gloss protection in favour of the wax??

ill have a good read of the that site tomorrow before i get me buckets out, cheers craigus....

Bumder With A Buffer
Bin gloss protection in favour of wax dude and carry. A good couple of layers of collinte will last up to 6 months. But of course you can reapply/p[olish/wax every few months if need be.

Fabia VRS Special Ed
Most of my collection is AG, however i prefer the Meguiars clay kit :)

Remember to wash your car (2 bucket method to prevent future swirls) after you've clayed by the way.

Also i much prefer the "Gold Class" shampoo that Meguiars do, i find it gives better results than its rivals including AG shampoo.

I always recommend developing detailing enthusiasts to head over to http://www.detailingworld.co.uk for advice, tutorials, discounts etc.

Any questions you have/may have in thr future will be answered on there by someone.

I know people look for recommendations all of the time, but 99% of the time it's down to personal preference :)

Cheers
Liam