ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I don't do clean, but I want to. Help please!

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Ok so I've had my black gold 182 a month now and washed it a couple of times. Unfortunatley washing it doesn't give the results I want to see because the car is covered in swirls and a few light scratches. I've never been into polishing etc but i know the BG looks amazing when properly shiny and as I really like the car I want to up my game and give it the shine it deserves!
My box of car cleaning stuff currently contains a very dirty wash mit, an old dried up clay bar and some autosol that must be 20 years old! So I obviousley need some guidance:blush:

So first up, assuming my 11 year old clio has never had a decent clean I need to look at gettig all the dirt and grime off the paint. Any suggestions for shampoo and tar/ contaminate removers? i've also recently just bought a new pressure washer so snow foam is also something I'm intrested in finding out about.

All help is appreciated in educating a complete beginner on his way to a home detailer!

P.S. What i'm starting with:
IMG_3773.jpg

IMG_3775.jpg

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
2 buckets with grit guards.

Decent shampoo (I like valetpro stuff)

Decent wash mitt (carpro merino or similar)

Drying towels (Asda ones are £3 and very good for the money)

IronX

TarX

And to address those swirls you'll need a DA (DAS6 or similar) pads and some varying grades of polish.

Then a sealant or wax (carpro Hydro2 or similar)

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Or if you don't have, or can't get hold of a DA, Prima Amigo and few layers of wax and a s**t load of elbow grease will have it looking loads better.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't go for Prima Amigo by hand, it doesn't really fill that well. Go for Auto Finesse Tripple.

You should probably put up a budget and what you actually want to achieve (if you want to jump to machine polishing etc).

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Or if you don't have, or can't get hold of a DA, Prima Amigo and few layers of wax and a s**t load of elbow grease will have it looking loads better.
i don't have a s**t load of elbow grease, or the time to use one at the time being. I'm hoping to work my way from front to back getting her nice and clean over the next few weeks, weather permitting.

Or give me £100 and ill do it for you.
It does'nt need a miracle, but you might want to revise that offer once you see it! :smile:

I don't wasn to jump straight in with a machine polisher. I want to get a grip of what does what before I go burning holes in my paint:laughing:. Budget wise I can probably get away with spending what needs to be spent. Part of the reason I asked for advice is that I don't see many products offered in small or trial sizes, so jumping in a buying a £30 tub of whatever with no idea how it will turn out seems like a bad idea. I know there is someone out there who has reviewed every polish going, but I also know that paint varies on different cars and manufacturers so it seems best to find out what works for fellow clio owners.

Do we have a C.S. detailing supplier I should be looking at? Any suppliers get the nod from you guys?

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I wouldn't go for Prima Amigo by hand, it doesn't really fill that well. Go for Auto Finesse Tripple.

You should probably put up a budget and what you actually want to achieve (if you want to jump to machine polishing etc).

I beg to differ, a year or 2 ago I did my A3 with a couple of layers of Prima Amigo followed by a few layers of Vics Concours over the top and it looked absolutely brilliant and got rid of alot of the swirls etc. Obviously it won't sort them all out but it was 100 times better than it was before. It did take me all day and by the end I was absolutely knackered!

I'll try dig some photos out later if I can find any.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Cleanyourcar, Carpro, Auto Finesse, Polishedbliss, Detailedclean, Slims Detailing etc. Lot of places to get product!

Obviously you need to make sure your washing technique is correct as you'll obviously damage the paint more etc. Some stuff I'd go for -

• Start off with a pair of cheap buckets from somewhere like Wilkos (or even bigger plasterers buckets from Wickes)
•A pair of grit guards eBay
•Shampoo - Carpro Reset, Born to be Mild or Auto Finesse Lather
• Proper Snowfoam lance for your pressure washer - Lance with Magifoam deal
• Carpro Merino Wool washmitt or Dooka wash pad
•EZ Detail brush for alloys (plus some small generic detailing brushes for tighter areas)
• A couple of Asda £3 drying towels as mentioned. Or Purple monster, Carpro Fat Boa
•Iron-x
•Tar-x or Tardis
•Bilt Hamber medium clay (use shampoo & water as lube)
•Auto Finesse Tripple Polish
•German polish applicator
•Sealant - C2V3 or Car Pro Reload
•Auto Finesse Revive for trims
•Autosol metal polish for exhaust
•Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gel

I use both Tripple and Amigo via DA, Tripple fills better.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
i don't have a s**t load of elbow grease, or the time to use one at the time being. I'm hoping to work my way from front to back getting her nice and clean over the next few weeks, weather permitting.

It does'nt need a miracle, but you might want to revise that offer once you see it! :smile:

I don't wasn to jump straight in with a machine polisher. I want to get a grip of what does what before I go burning holes in my paint:laughing:. Budget wise I can probably get away with spending what needs to be spent. Part of the reason I asked for advice is that I don't see many products offered in small or trial sizes, so jumping in a buying a £30 tub of whatever with no idea how it will turn out seems like a bad idea. I know there is someone out there who has reviewed every polish going, but I also know that paint varies on different cars and manufacturers so it seems best to find out what works for fellow clio owners.

Do we have a C.S. detailing supplier I should be looking at? Any suppliers get the nod from you guys?

You won't go burning hols in your paint using a DA mate.

From those pics you posted you won't get your paint looking good without it being attacked with a machine polisher.

Pick up a DA for around £130, watch a few YouTube vids and away you go. Trust me they're a piece of piss to use. I honestly don't see the point in trying to hide those type of scratches when you can easily get rid of them.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for all the advice guys:up:. i know it needs a machine to get it tip top, I need to get it a bit better than it is now and show willing before hitting the wife with the big bills!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I have

Prima amigo near full
Tripple polish half of a 250ml bottle
Art de shine nano sealent 1/3 full (you need very little)
Art de shine obsidian wax 1/3 full

Can box them up for £30 delivered to help you out?

7B59F95F-0819-43CF-8255-AA96F8914E25_zpswsdgbscd.gif

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
I have

Prima amigo near full

Bargain that art de shine combo blows a lot of more expensive stuff away.Wonder who recommended them

Sj1782

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi s3 8p
My black gold after 4 hours of cleaning! Mine could do with a machine polish but daren't attempt it my self

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    436.7 KB · Views: 132
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    514.1 KB · Views: 136

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
My black gold after 4 hours of cleaning! Mine could do with a machine polish but daren't attempt it my self

Mate seriously, it's almost impossible to do any damage with a DA. I had zero experience when I got my first one and the results I got were amazing.

Sj1782

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi s3 8p
I may get a old panel from a scrapers and practice, I'd just be gutted if I damaged my paint, how do people use da's ones at work are run on a air compressor, can you get electric?

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I have

Prima amigo near full

Thanks mate, nice offer. What's the general opinion of these products? Are they easy for a noob to manage by hand? I also should have mentioned that I don't really have any shade to work in so I don't want stuff that will bake on rock hard if I'm too slow with it.

RB Clio 182
I may get a old panel from a scrapers and practice, I'd just be gutted if I damaged my paint, how do people use da's ones at work are run on a air compressor, can you get electric?

Its almost impossible to do any damage with a da as long as you keep away from any edges, then you would have to be a bit backwards to do so.

You could keep it in one spot for a few mins and it still probably wouldn't do any damage.

Its the way a da spins, its not harsh like a rotary polisher.

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
Thanks mate, nice offer. What's the general opinion of these products? Are they easy for a noob to manage by hand? I also should have mentioned that I don't really have any shade to work in so I don't want stuff that will bake on rock hard if I'm too slow with it.
They will transform the car.The wax is on off gives high shine,tripple will mildly clean the paint and hide swirls etc.Well worth the price

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I'd find a local hobbyist to give it a going over with a da then invest in what Ron said to maintain it.

After most (or all if you're lucky) of the swirls have been removed, try to keep contact with the car to a minimum.

That is, pre wash before you touch it with a mitt, Spray based contaminant removers and clay only if necessary (and it's going to be polished afterwards).

It's a shame youre a while away. I'd have liked a go of bg

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Oh the swirls! I'd love it! If your keen on doing it yourself, get a DA and a scrap panel & practise. (You could do it on yours, you have to be a complete numpty to do damage with a DA!) Or get someone local to help you & show you how. :)

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I'll just say hello with my mega budget method.
I've always been one for decent mechanics before a clean car so have done the following in the past with amazing results.
Went to Halfords and bought a few bits they had there.
Washed the car with some zymol shampoo then clayed it with a bilthammer clay bar (got this from the net), used g3 scratch remover with their applicator pads then waxed the car with zymol. Cost me about £30 I think

Was some years ago but the car did come up fantastically and still looks great to this day. There was a lot of swirl removal I remember it well.

WP_001353_zpsea9bcb4c.jpg

WP_001350_zps0f927469.jpg

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Grab the Clas Ohlson sold Cotech DA for under £60 and you can't go wrong. 5 year warranty and it's pretty much identical to a lot of more expensive machines. I only grabbed one as a standby next to my rotary but it's a bloody good little machine :)

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Grab the Clas Ohlson sold Cotech DA for under £60 and you can't go wrong. 5 year warranty and it's pretty much identical to a lot of more expensive machines. I only grabbed one as a standby next to my rotary but it's a bloody good little machine :smile:
Cheers Andy I'll check that out. Been looking at DA's but the detailing suppliers seem to be taking the piss. DA+pads+polisg+sealant=f0000k meee!

Polo GTi
2 buckets with grit guards.

Decent shampoo (I like valetpro stuff)

Decent wash mitt (carpro merino or similar)

Drying towels (Asda ones are £3 and very good for the money)

IronX

TarX

And to address those swirls you'll need a DA (DAS6 or similar) pads and some varying grades of polish.

Then a sealant or wax (carpro Hydro2 or similar)

I've just bought a new (6months old) car. It has been GuardX exterior protected already (don't know if this is any good)

The car is black and paint work is (I think) looking really good.

I haven't washed it myself yet, I've fired the pressure washer over it a few times that's all, it beads up nicely but when it dries I have water spots all over it, I presume because I haven't shampood it and dried it, plus all the salt on the roads.

Would I need to bother with things like IronX/TarX and a sealant/wax with it being a relatively new car, some people at work have recommended a snow foam/lance?

Basically as its a fresh car I want to start as I mean to go on and hopefully keep it clean for as long as I can without too much work.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I've just bought a new (6months old) car. It has been GuardX exterior protected already (don't know if this is any good)

The car is black and paint work is (I think) looking really good.

I haven't washed it myself yet, I've fired the pressure washer over it a few times that's all, it beads up nicely but when it dries I have water spots all over it, I presume because I haven't shampood it and dried it, plus all the salt on the roads.

Would I need to bother with things like IronX/TarX and a sealant/wax with it being a relatively new car, some people at work have recommended a snow foam/lance?

Basically as its a fresh car I want to start as I mean to go on and hopefully keep it clean for as long as I can without too much work.

There's a thread on here somewhere where @gally detailed a brand new white Skoda VRS. The fallout on it was unbelievable.

So yes it's still worth giving it a going over with IronX and TarX.

I only really use those products every 4-6 months.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I have

Prima amigo near full

Quick update, I took Dan up on his offer and bought the above items, which Hermes promptly lost. As the CITP meeting was approaching and I wanted a little bit of shine on the car I went to halfords and bought some G3 paint restorer and megs wax. The G3 did a decent job on the swirls but the heavens opened just as I waxed the first side of the car. Typical.
The following week just after Dan refunded my money Hermes found the box and delivered it! I decided to try the Amigo first and was very impressed, the black looked so much deeper and the gold was more noticable. I covered it with the ADS wax and OMG that stuff is like butter, I love it already! I plan to try the tripple next as I can only find good reviews of it.

I have only had chance fro a quick wash since that quick test, but I have made a major change to my cleaning process:
20160517_095333.jpg

Try explaining why you need 2 buckets to the wife though, not an easy task!
Before and after on my bonnet.
IMG_3773.jpg

20160517_135740.jpg

I'm itching to carry on, but it's either pissing it down or red hot sunny when I have chance to get to the car. I think I need a pop up gazebo!