ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Megane 250/265, overlooked?

Z4
I'm currently shopping for a new steed, the Z4 has served me very well but I've always said I'll sell it this summer (although, I did say that last year too!).

Criteria is - must be a capable drivers car as I'd like it to see the track and I just want something 'fun'.
I test drove a 2015 audi RS3 the other week (not to buy..I'm not spending £50k on a hatch..) expecting to be besotted, but it only cemented my belief that Audi make dull sports cars and that I need something exciting.

I've considered mk2 FRS, 987 cayman S, e92 M3, s2000, dc5 teg, 135i etc!
So back on topic, I've never even looked into the Renaultsport megane, I never seem to see it mentioned on here much either?!

I had a youtube session earlier, and they look brilliant? The engine noise is a little weak, but apart from that it seems to be a cracking performance bargain?
There's one up for sale near me, 250 in oyster grey, cup packs, LSD, leather recaros etc. Tempted...

I believe a test drive is in order.

From a bit of research I can't seem to see any real differences between the 250/265/trophy?
I hear that the 250 is often over 250bhp which seems very backwards compared to the Renault I remember! But what do these see with basic breathing mods and a map?

Cheers

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Definitely get the 250 over the 265. Cheaper and after a remap they're both the same. 3" Exhaust (preferably with decat or sports cat), filter, remap and your looking at 315-320bhp and 350-360lbft.

Cup pack is worthwhile.

Very, very capable car for the money compared to other cars out there.

RB197
@-Jamie- is the man to talk to. His is epic!

@182jwilliams has a lovely white one too.
Cheers mate.

Yeah get a 250, I'm not overly bothered about power so mine won't be seeing any gains till late next year. I know Jamie's is running 333bhp with standard exhaust (decat) and a CAI which is pretty impressive.

There's a guy on youtube, can't remember his name but I know he done a lap in 7:46 with standard engine, KW clubsport, dunlop direzza and some uprated front pads.

A must have is the cup packed and recaros. Anything else is a bonus IMO. I was torn between the MK2 FRS, VXR and the 250, chose the 250 in the end as it put the biggest smile on my face, they're great cars!

Good luck with whatever one you pick [emoji4]

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Good choice.

VXR's under-steer through whole counties when you push on.

And have a dash that looks to be made out of melted down Amstrads.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
oh

SPAD_VauxAstraVXR.jpg

59720038.jpg

article-2036219-0DD401EE00000578-401_634x323.jpg

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It's the lack of noise I could never understand with the Megane, sounded like a sewing machine as standard. Inside is very dull, the Recaros help.

Remap and fruity exhaust and I really really like them, Liquid Yellow, White, Red, Oyster Grey, they all look great, oh and they need the correct wheels not the shat spec ones.

Listerine & Poledo
Just don't ever open the windows, unless you like having permanently open windows.

I was about to ask, what's the reliability like? Still look upon Renaults as bad build quality, hence being cheaper than the FRS, Leon, M3 etc etc.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I absolutely love the look of the 250/265/275.

Is the 275 Trophy too much? That thing is a weapon, although how much better than the 265 it is I don't know. Can you get the Akrapovic/Ohlins etc on the 265? If you plan to modify it then I suppose that's not an issue anyway.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
That was the MK2!

The problem with the second hand meganes is that hardly any come up with decent spec and colour :(
The Mk3 seems to be similar. We've had a few customers mention it. World series one was in and passenger one was knackered.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I never really thought about the newer Meggys much. But Ph1 Tom's link looks to be a bloody good buy.

My only reservation is if they 'felt' big. I love the nibbleness of the 182 - it's short and fat stature just look right and I wouldn't want that compromised - even in the face of much higher power and speed.

Z4
I absolutely love the look of the 250/265/275.

Is the 275 Trophy too much? That thing is a weapon, although how much better than the 265 it is I don't know. Can you get the Akrapovic/Ohlins etc on the 265? If you plan to modify it then I suppose that's not an issue anyway.

I'm not looking to spend 275 trophy money tbh, I'd have an e92 m3!

I don't think there's really anything mechanical between a 250 cup spec vs a 265/275/trophy? Renault have done their classic limited production models but offering little upgrades like they have with previous models (182 trophy having sach dampers, r26 has LSD, r26r being stripped out etc). Mostly looks like marketing, a different map & different rubber/wheels?

It's the lack of noise I could never understand with the Megane, sounded like a sewing machine as standard. Inside is very dull, the Recaros help.

Remap and fruity exhaust and I really really like them, Liquid Yellow, White, Red, Oyster Grey, they all look great, oh and they need the correct wheels not the shat spec ones.

Totally agree. The noise factor is important to me, but otherwise it does seem to be extremely attractive in terms of being a good all rounder that can be a also double up as track weapon when required.
I'm sure some of the sound deadening can be removed to the cabin to get some more turbo acoustics, filter, exhaust mods etc could make it a little better.

Has anyone put any turinis on there? Would reduce the unsprung weight from those 19s, and no doubt improved the acceleration & ride.

I've found one locally to me (hence the thread!) that's near enough the exact spec as that, and it looks a bargain.

Literally have no idea how these slipped my radar, a lot of people are calling them the best hot hatch on the market! I've been so blinkered by the FRS I don't think I'd even considered the Renault alternative as I thought they'd lost their way! What with the 200t etc.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I'm not looking to spend 275 trophy money tbh, I'd have an e92 m3!

I don't think there's really anything mechanical between a 250 cup spec vs a 265/275/trophy? Renault have done their classic limited production models but offering little upgrades like they have with previous models (182 trophy having sach dampers, r26 has LSD, r26r being stripped out etc). Mostly looks like marketing, a different map & different rubber/wheels?

Not sure mate!

I think the engine is the same, I'm lead to believe most of the stuff on the normal 275 Trophy is optional though (Akrapovic exhaust, Ohlins suspension, not sure about the big brakes).

RB197
There's a fella on the megane forum that has put turinis on his LY 250, wasn't to my taste mind I preferred the BBS CH-R's he has.

Imo I think the 18's look leads better than the 19's. They're good out the box to, I wasn't a fan of the ride height so I've stock some H&R springs on it for now till next year.

If I could afford to track an E92 M3 it would be that 100% but for now, the megane fits my budget nicely. I don't think you could ever get bored of the noise from that V8

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure I like them that much, the option 19" in Black look decent as you can't see the design that much!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I love them some times and other times i'm just not sure!

The fact that most 250's seem to have either xenons or recaros and not both really pissed me off! In the end i plumped for a GTI Edition 30. Not as exciting but i knew that anyway!

I did have a minor heart palpitation when i noticed my local Renault selling a 275 Trophy-R for 34k. :neutral:

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
All round its a great car, don't think you'll be disappointed id love to have another but after my experience i don't want the hassle of worrying about it.

couple of options you really want

Recaros (leather if poss)
Cup pack
RS monitor (adjustable throttle maps are the main use for this)
Visability pack (xenons etc)

I drove a few and found the ride much better on the 18" axel wheels , mine had a 2.75" kTec exhaust and sounded pretty fruity at full chat so they can be made to sound decent.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
I'm in the middle of fitting shiny parts to mine so I'll get a decent write up later. In short though. Mega car out the box. Ice had mine for 3 years and genuinely dint know what I would replace it with. Was going to go for an M3 but in terms of outright performance it would be a step back.

Cup plus Recaros are all you need imo. Anything else is a bonus

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I did have a minor heart palpitation when i noticed my local Renault selling a 275 Trophy-R for 34k. :neutral:

It's a lot of dough no doubt, but the Trophy-R is a serious machine and in all fairness will probably be bought by people as toys rather than by people who normally buy Meganes.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Amazing amazing amazing cars out the box. I'd love to drive a modified one and compare them.

All of the Trophy-R's are gone. Most people bought as second cars. I spoke to three owners who have GT3/ GT3RS as their other car, and even they are seriously impressed.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not surprised Like especially with the standard card being so good.

225 Cup & Williams
I'd love one but unfortunately finances dictate. I've been out in a 320 bhp 250 though and holy Santa clause s**t it could go some.

Personally I've never found the interior to be dull in them especially compared to the mk2.

I'll make do with this for now.
dc013e4fc52e11f24496f3b3750d24f1.jpg

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Aye they cost 20k for a cracker but you won't lose a penny, not only that is amazing to drive. If you buy a 250 be prepared to lose £££

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
It's a lot of dough no doubt, but the Trophy-R is a serious machine and in all fairness will probably be bought by people as toys rather than by people who normally buy Meganes.

Aye i know what you mean mate.

The akropovich exhaust and ohlins dampers apparently make it an absolute weapon to drive.

Really unsure whether i'd be in that over the R26.:R right enough?

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Aye they cost 20k for a cracker but you won't lose a penny, not only that is amazing to drive. If you buy a 250 be prepared to lose £££

RS250 prices have been stable for quite a while now, I personally don't see them getting much cheaper for a while. Certainly won't loose that much more than its competitors. The massive depreciation on them has already happened. FWIW mine has only "lost" ~3k or so since i bought it 3 years ago. A grand a year in depreciation is pretty good all things considered.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Aye i know what you mean mate.

The akropovich exhaust and ohlins dampers apparently make it an absolute weapon to drive.

Really unsure whether i'd be in that over the R26.:R right enough?
I harp on about it whenever the topic arises, but I had a go in a Trophy-R at a Renaultsport day. They probably brought it along for the folk who have previously bought brand new Meganes rather than scabby old Ph1 Clios lol.

Anyway, it was an absolute weapon. It felt so mechanical, not that fast in a straight line I didn't think, it was more than capable of course, but it was the cornering ability, brakes were phenominal and it almost felt like I was cheating somehow with how much speed it can carry. And I probably wasn't even using more than 7/10ths of it's performance.