ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MBP 13" vs MBA 13"

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
I know this has been discussed already but i can't find anything specific on my needs. I was wondering if you can advise please?

I don't really understand why the base model of the Air is more expensive than the Pro?

Also are they any due upgraded models soon?

And finally, what can anyone recommend based on experience. I currently have a 15" MBP but this 13" one is for my girlfriend. Its for general p**n usage only. She's not a designer in any way shape or form. I just won't allow her to get a 'normal' pc/laptop.

Cheers

ScreenShot2012-04-09at174305.gif

ScreenShot2012-04-09at174233.gif

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I used to have a 15" Pro and now have a 13" Air (all options ticked) and its so much faster at everything than the Pro was.

Only downside of the Air is that parts aren't upgradable. You pretty much stuck with what you buy. Also, the 256Gb SSD is as big as you can go for your hard drive. Ok for us as our iMac is our main computer but some people have laptops as their only computers.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I bought a second to top spec MBA just before Christmas brand new.
Literally just sold it and bought the 2.4ghz MBP.

The air is awesome, and a lot faster than the Pro. Only reason I sold it was due to 128gb not being anywhere near big enough for me personally. Ig they were upgradeable then I'd still have it now. The Pro is great but obviously a big more chunky and slower.

Go cry to your momma!
The pro is only slower due to the mechanical HDD, replace it with a decent SSD and it'll out perform the Air.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
So overall based on the money only she may as well get the Pro. She won't be travelling with the laptop too much. So it doesn't need to be light and all that.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
If it was me I'd get the 1099 Air (which I did) if you won't struggle with the 128gb limit.
Or, an iPad would be good enough for the p**n she likes?

Mot!, how easy is that to do? Any links?

I imagine the MBA is more expensive due it being a bit more advanced in terms of design and packaging. Plus it uses solid state storage, which is way more expensive than crappy 2.5" mechanical discs.

The Air feels faster due to the SSD and the screen resolution is much better. If she can hold out for a couple / few months then there's a fairly high chance of a few of the Pro's being replaced as Intel have just released their latest line of processors. The Air could also get a bump in spec to these processors but that would be end of summer I imagine.

Go cry to your momma!
It's so simple mate, I'd be robbing you of beer money.

Pop the new HDD into an enclosure or use a SATA to USB adapter.
Get a program called "super duper" and clone your current HDD to your new one.
Shut down, follow the guide for switching HDDs that I linked you to.
Power back up. You're done :)