ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mavericks is now available for download.

Seen a few people on about this.

What is it?

Edit: googled

Apples new operating system

Last edited:
  LY 182
The latest OS X, out today.

So simple, nice free upgrade. Safari and general use seems snappier.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I can't get on the mac app store to even download it.

Edit: It's working now, bloody internet

No, I REALLY need to upgrade. The screen is held on with masking tape ffs.

I only use it for Football Manager. That's my excuse.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
It looks like a nice refresh to me, just some subtle changes. Could anybody tell me how to add contacts to the AIM thing on the top right?

On the surface not much has changed bar a redesign of a few apps but the integration between them as well as the battery and other system resources that are being saved is very impressive. I've also replaced the icons with iOS7 icons and it looks absolutely stunning.

http://iynque.deviantart.com/art/iOS-7-Icons-Updated-378969049

Click download on top right, unzip is needed, folder is ICNS (OS X), open applications, right click the app you wanna change, get info, drag the icon from the ICNS folder to the icon at the top right of the Get Info window (you'll see the little plus). Logout and login for the dock to update. If you do a google on how to update the finder, calendar and trash can icon you can do those as well. Haven't got round to doing them since updating last night.

10icVAk.png

Apologies for the low res, Retina was ordered last night.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Each to their own*!

I have to say that Parallels 8 + Mavericks is swift, I'm spending a lot of time inside a Windows 7 VM at the moment and it's noticeably quicker since the updating both.

If only I could get the new Microsoft remote desktop client to work properly over a SSH tunnel without saying "End of File" every minute I'd be a happy chappie, the new client supports the OS fullscreen mode. Spaces + 3 finger swipe is probably my most used feature in OS X. It'd be nice to use the new client and then I get my OS X desktop back without having to minimise RDC.

(* that looks hideous to me!)

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Downloaded and installed this last night - I like the new Maps feature and integration of that with iPhoto, and the Calendar also looks a lot better. Apart from that I haven't noticed much change (I use Chrome over Safari), but I haven't used it much. The iBooks thing will never get used. Ever.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Well, it's certainly slowing me down. Go to open iphoto, update, 1.5gb later and an install, I can do what I wanted.

No idea if the battery is any better yet, we'll see.

danward did you notice that three finger swipe to go back and forth was disabled when you updated it? Mine was, I had to re-enable as it'd ruin my browsing without it.

FF Clio 182
Anyone else noticed the new MacBooks pros are lower spec than the 2012 releases ? I have one and was planning on upgrading but the spec is lower. Ok it has the new 2ghz intel chip and iris graphics but personally mine has the 2.3ghz i7 and Nvidia graphics what I prefer. Never been a fan of intel graphics chips. Sorry to go off topic ....

FF Clio 182
Each to their own*!

I have to say that Parallels 8 + Mavericks is swift, I'm spending a lot of time inside a Windows 7 VM at the moment and it's noticeably quicker since the updating both.

If only I could get the new Microsoft remote desktop client to work properly over a SSH tunnel without saying "End of File" every minute I'd be a happy chappie, the new client supports the OS fullscreen mode. Spaces + 3 finger swipe is probably my most used feature in OS X. It'd be nice to use the new client and then I get my OS X desktop back without having to minimise RDC.

(* that looks hideous to me!)

How would you rate parallel 8 to say Fusion or VMware ?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Really? I need a new MBP badly, and can get a 3 month old one off of a friend for 850, selling mine for 400, it's terribly tempting, especially if they're down on spec. But then again, the new model will hold their value better.

Megane 225 F1
Been running Mavericks for around a week now and battery life has increased dramatically. Also the memory management is really useful even if it's misleading at first when you look in the activity monitor.

Very tempted by one of the new 13 inch pro's because my 13 inch screen at the moment is shite.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
How would you rate parallel 8 to say Fusion or VMware ?

I prefer parallels for some reason. I've owned various releases of both and parallels is the only one that's up to date on my machine now (although I do have up to date versions of VMware on machines at work - but that's just historical as they used that).

FF Clio 182
I prefer parallels for some reason. I've owned various releases of both and parallels is the only one that's up to date on my machine now (although I do have up to date versions of VMware on machines at work - but that's just historical as they used that).

Fair enough I have Fusion 6 and VirtualBox but mainly use Fusion as it has my copy of 8.1 on it. Just wondered if I was missing out anything on parallel was all :)

Clio 1.2 16V
Decent upgrade some small changes making OSX nicer to use, liking the Safari notifications though thats pretty cool.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Noticed my MBA is slower to wake up from closed lid, and 4 finger pinch to bring up control centre has a slight glitch...anyone else noticed this?!

LY 182
Noticed my MBA is slower to wake up from closed lid, and 4 finger pinch to bring up control centre has a slight glitch...anyone else noticed this?!

Not having this problem. In fact the 4 finger pinch "seems" quicker.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Anyone else noticed the new MacBooks pros are lower spec than the 2012 releases ? I have one and was planning on upgrading but the spec is lower. Ok it has the new 2ghz intel chip and iris graphics but personally mine has the 2.3ghz i7 and Nvidia graphics what I prefer. Never been a fan of intel graphics chips. Sorry to go off topic ....

LOL, they aren't lower spec. Just because numbers are smaller it doesn't make them lower spec.
You are right in saying that the Nvdia setup has the edge, but the Iris pro's trade off's make for a better general use machine.

Last edited: