ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Matthew's VW Tiguan

I was genuinly interested to be honest. I've always been against buying a car brand new unless you genuinly can afford it and its *spare* cash.

Leasing does sound like a fairly good option considering I've had my 172 for 3 months and so far its cost me at least £2500 buying it and repairs. Thats not mentioning tax though.

Because Leasing is hugely cheaper. If you say list price of these is £19k, I guarantee they're under £12k in 2 years due to being so many, that's £7k loss. Now take into account lease is less than £7k. Quids in. Simple as that!

Oh, and no Tax to pay too if you lease it.

320d
Not really comparable to a 172. There is ten years and £17,000 between them.

I'd rather the ST as a daily, in fact I'm considering one, but I love my Clio for track and messing about with.

You can't compare a 182 to an St totally different my 172 has cost me a set of tyres and servicing and mots in three years it's been the most reliable car ive had
The St is a great car best hot hatch atm but I'm not in a position to part with £200 a month for the next two years
If you want to buy a good hot hatch for £2k get a 182 and hope it's doesn't break its all personally choice what you want
Comparing them is like comparing your ten year old tv with a brand new one

RB182cup&golf gti
I was always anti-lease as hated the thought of shelling out a heap of cash over the period and walking away with nothing.
I bought my fiesta ST in July 13 brand new for the long term on a PCP as the apr was 4%. Swapped it for a focus after 12 months as it's not a baby friendly car and it was the most sensible option. Specced nav on it and got it mountuned. So in twelve months I spent £1k deposit + 12 x 350 = £5200 + £670 for mountune = £5870 and I only covered 3k miles in. £700 equity against the focus, which I will not be swapping!!!
Compare that to the lease deals and there's a huge difference. I wouldn't "buy" another brand new car again!
I love my cars and look after them (my 182 is still like new on 21k miles) - however, if I was you Matthew I would use and abuse your fiesta and get the most out of it as April 2016 will be here before you know it - you're paying for it so use it and bring the £/mile down rather than worrying about a car park ding! Don't do what I did and keep it nice for someone else's benefit! Enjoy it!

Last edited:
LOL I wasnt comparing the two cars I was simply saying that for me its better buying second hand than buying new or lease. Simples!

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
I remember reading that the manual says 5w20, however everyone (Ford included) uses 5w30 as it still meets the same regs however is more readily available (read cheaper).

I believe Castrol is Ford's reccomendation.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I remember reading that the manual says 5w20, however everyone (Ford included) uses 5w30 as it still meets the same regs however is more readily available (read cheaper).

I believe Castrol is Ford's reccomendation.

This sounds about right to me. Can't say for certain as I've never bought any myself.

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
5w20 ecoboost specced castrol or 5w30 fully sythetic. The best oil is the ester sythetics such as Fusch Titan in either weight as above

Clio 172
Are the brakes loud on yours at slow speeds?
I have a new ST and mine are pretty loud at low speeds. Sounds like the pad compound is quite abrasive. Mine is only 2 weeks old though, so maybe they will smooth off.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
My original factory fit pads are still making that low speed noise after I've put 31k miles on them.

In my experience it's no different to the sort of noise I used to get running DS2500 or PF97 or Carbon Lorraine pads on my 172 Cup.

The standard pads are very capable and with that comes the price of a little low speed noise.

Clio RS
Ok, so I have had the car a good few weeks now so thought it was about time I do a write up, for all those who might be considering buying/leasing one (if you haven't already!)

Firstly the positives; the car is quick. It certainly feels faster than any 182 I have had, and also faster than both Mk5 Golf GTI's I have had in the past. The low down toque is brilliant, which means you can pootle around all day and have some performance 'on tap' when you need it. You don't have wring its neck, like a 182 that's for sure.

The car also, unlike a Mk5 Golf GTI, doesn't seem to run out of puff towards the top end. Although I must admit, as peak torque comes lower down in the rev band, the car has not been past 5K RPM that often!

The noise it makes on acceleration is fantastic. The car literally growls on acceleration. Not sure if this is induction and/or exhaust but it sounds bloody brilliant. I was 110% going to 'Mountune' the car, given it wouldn’t affect the warranty. It doesn't need it, so I'm not bothering. I think that says a lot about the car right there.

In terms of economy, the car returns in the high 40s/low 50s mpg on a motorway run and about 32 around Halifax's stop-start traffic and hills. In comparison, around town my 182s returned about 26 mpg and the GTI about 25mpg. Its certainly better on fuel.

Build quality is miles ahead of Renault, but still behind the VAG cars in my opinion. My passenger door seal is faulty resulting in having to slam the door to close it, and there is a rattle coming from the instrument cluster (although admittedly this seems to have fixed its self in the past day or two). There is a hole behind the handbrake, which will gladly swallow up change/keys if you're not carful! Strange thing to overlook by Ford.

I have had many cars over the years, and this has been the only car to actually get people come over to it and ask questions. This didn’t even happen with my Z4 in full-on top down hairdresser mode! People seem to love the thing. It also seems to turn heads when driving past people on the street. It's crazy to think it's 'only' a Fiesta in this respect.

The turning circle is rubbish. No point sugar-coating this, its rubbish. I'm not sure why it's so bad but it's comparable with my RB182 which was about an inch off the ground on coilovers. This can make parking in supermarkets very annoying on occasion if its busy.

Handling is spot on. It’s a very quick rack, meaning very little input has to be put into the wheel before the car reacts. It's very similar to a Mini Cooper S' steering, albeit a little lighter, which is nice day to day. Grip is massive. I haven't pushed the car, but when I have gone into a corner at speed, it's never felt like letting go.

Gear box is classic Ford - slick as anything, and very satisfying. It's what Renault could only dream of to be honest…The cabin is ain general a nice place to sit. Very little wind or road noise on the motorway. Feels like a bigger car than it actually is.

The stereo system is good, if not 'amazing'. It's about on par with the standard Golf GTI system, but miles better than a Renaults/BMW system. The interface with the iphone is good, meaning you can make hands free calls (although it sometimes struggles to understand my Yorkshire accent)

The floor mats are paper thin and wearing already (after 700 miles) and for some reason, whoever designed the headlights, designed them with no access room behind. This means a bulb change will result in a headlight removal. Not great considering they have projector lenses and I was looking to fit some 'whiter' bulbs….The LEDs don’t stay on as bright when the lights are on (a picky issue, but I would like them to stay on like the AUDI units).

The seats are great. Very similar to the GTI's Recaros, but the have more lower-back support. I have done some long journeys in the ST and not once have I had backache. Absolutely brilliant design, and they don’t look as 'in your face' in real life. The seats are heated also, and are very hot! Will be nice in the winter, along with the heated screen!

I'm sure I have missed things off this write-up but I have been fairly honest about all the positives and negatives. If I could go back a few months and decide again whether to get one, I still would. It’s a cracking car and I can see why all the motoring press raved about them.
fantastic write up this! I'm really tempted of buying on when I crash my clio or when the costs are to high to fix it.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
@MarkCup your pads must be getting pretty low now?

Do you get a brake fluid leve warning when your on a hill?

I checked them all yesterday and I've still got between 2 and 3 mm on all four corners! I've been planning since 22k or so for their replacements but they just refuse to wear out.

No fluid level warnings so far for me although apart from the slight incline on my drive it's only ever parked at work and is completely flat.

have a new ST and mine are pretty loud at low speeds. Sounds like the pad compound is quite abrasive. Mine is only 2 weeks old though, so maybe they will smooth off.

Mine's the same, although mine is on 13k now. Can't really say that it bothers me, although in terms of stopping power i've never experienced brake's that are as good as the ones on the ST!

Clio 172
Mine's the same, although mine is on 13k now. Can't really say that it bothers me, although in terms of stopping power i've never experienced brake's that are as good as the ones on the ST!
I agree. I find that they're a bit on/off. When they're on, though, they send you through the windscreen.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I checked them all yesterday and I've still got between 2 and 3 mm on all four corners! I've been planning since 22k or so for their replacements but they just refuse to wear out.

No fluid level warnings so far for me although apart from the slight incline on my drive it's only ever parked at work and is completely flat.
Hmm must be a focus thing then. Mines having its service Monday anyway so we will see if there's any underlying problem then

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Mine had a rattling rain sensor, sorted by jamming a peice of paper in it. The windscreen fan is noisy for first few minutes, apart from that it's fine.