ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lumpy idle & rich running.

Clio Sport 182
Good afternoon all,
First time poster.
I have recently bought a 2004 Clio 182, which has a lumpy idle, and it's obviously running very rich.

It pulls well and hard; and it doesn't cut out; on tick over it sounds like it just has some aggressive cams; there isn't black smoke (suggesting serious overfueling) but I can smell fuel on idle when warm.

The car has a decat and a full Miltek system.

When starting cold; the EML flashes and goes out the second you drive away.

I haven't got my diagnostic machine at the moment to bring up that fault; but with the other symptoms; I'm thinking an o2 or maf sensor fault?

The reason for the post is before I go buying sensors left, right and centre, I was wondering if anyone else had had something similar; and what order is the most likely?

Many thanks for any help in advance.

Last edited:

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Will be the lambda sensor.
Running a decat will make it smell of fuel and the lumpy idle is just a character of the 1*2. Some do, some dont.

renault clio 1.4 16v
as above, could be a lambda, could also be an air leak on the manifold causing lumpy idle or and exhaust leak confusing the lambdas, to rule out an air leak take some starting spray and spray around the intake manifold gaskets and any vacuum pipe connectors, map/maf/intake temp sensors... if there is a change in idle you have a leak... unfortunately you just have to listen for exhaust leaks...

Clio Sport 182
Thanks for your help.

I've bought a new CTS and lambda (probably won't hurt)

It started running on three cylinders earlier; EML flashed, so I shut the car off and turned it back on; and it was fine.

Renault Clio 182
Eml will come on for a number of faults this doesn't point to an injector..... As above said it could be coil pack, injector, or plugs. Needs to be diagnosed properly, these Renault petrol engines are always a little lumpy. It's recommended that the sport models were run in higher octane fuel also.

dan's cast offs.
Eml will come on for a number of faults this doesn't point to an injector..... As above said it could be coil pack, injector, or plugs. Needs to be diagnosed properly, these Renault petrol engines are always a little lumpy. It's recommended that the sport models were run in higher octane fuel also.

FLASHING eml.

Clio Sport 182
All; thanks for your help so far.
I've not had much of a chance to do anything with the car yet; however it is now running on 3 cylinders full stop.

I've got a fault code reader this evening to check it over; it might sound like a silly question; but is it likely to point me to the right thing? As on previous cars (not renaults) it's given me a bit of a duff steer as to what the actual problem is.

Clio Sport 182
So it appears to be cylinder 4; and random misfire.

I've changed to coil pack and no change; so plugs next, hopefully it isn't the injectors.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    469.7 KB · Views: 142

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
They're only 25 euro each, you might as well do all four.
It sounds like injectors tbh.

Clio 172 & 205 gti
My 172 had lumpy idle and it was 1 of the injectors, check the resistance of them with a multimeter, I just replaced the faulty 1 and the car has been fine