ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lukes 172 Cup Track Car Project (Cooksport Inside)

Mental 172 Cup
Some of you may know my first 1.2 Clio.

0001.jpg

Also my Liquid Yellow 182.

0002.jpg

I sold the 182 back in September 2010 and bought a MK4 Golf hoping to transfer to the world of turbocharged motors, however have now found that is probably the worst car to try out. So 8months later I am now seeing myself back in a 172 Cup.
I bought her for the sum of just over £2000 with PSH and it needed a cambelt, dephaser and a good service. She had 77k on the clock and bar about 4 car park dings the car is in immaculate condition for the year. The steering wheel and thumb grips are in perfect condition, the seats are immaculate and the rear seats look like they have never been sat in, the gearbox feels nice and the engine pulls like a train, definatly one of the fastest 172s ive ever been in/driven.

She will be going down the Track Car Route and will be a summer/ track toy next year sometime. So I will be prepping her for the track car route. i.e Strippage, Seats, Steering Wheel etc.

Here are the photos that were in the advert on autotrader,

0003.jpg

0004.jpg

0005.jpg

0006.jpg

So I picked her up from Bridgend and took her straight home and put her in the garage to do some work before I put her on the road, so I started removing the engine to do the cambelt and change the exhaust manifold.

00052.jpg

0007.jpg

0008.jpg

0009.jpg

0010.jpg

So with the engine out and on the deck the cambelt is a doddle, so new cambelt kit, dephaser and aux belt was fitted. She would soon be sweet as a nut. When doing the cambelt we found that the timing was out as some people do find so all that was sorted aswell. Whilst out I removed the acoustic valve, carbon canister, relocated the horn so I can fit brake ducts eventually.

I bought the exhaust manifold off of ebay, youll probably think cheap chinese crap and ill admit as first I did, I got it for a steal of a price so even if it didnt last it wouldnt really matter, plus labour is free to me so its not an issue. Trial and error. So I wrapped the manifold and fitted it to the existing exhaust.

0011.jpg

Then I set about fitting the engine back in, bit of a fiddle but got there in the end. Whilst the engine was out I sent my inlets off to Josh at Cooksport to be matched and I purchased PTFE gaskets from k-tec.

0012.jpg

0013.jpg

0014.jpg

0015.jpg

I got the inlets back the day the engine went in so we could get it on the road because unfortunatly the golf had broke down leaving me carless. So I started building everything up and fitted some 172 xenons, as I would of only fitted HIDs anyway and the projector headlight are much better/less dazzling.

I ran her around for over the weekend and had a few teething problems, then the following week my RS tuner had turned up so I remapped her and gave her a service.

Gave her a good clean and then took some photos.

0016.jpg

0017.jpg

0018.jpg

0019.jpg

0020.jpg

Soon after I realised how awful the car looked without a splitter so Skoda splitter was purchased and fitted.

0021.jpg

Fitted a whiteline RARB and Brembo HC Discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads.

0022.jpg

0023.jpg

0024.jpg

Me and The lads had planned a trip to the Nurburgring in September so I figured it would be a good excuse to strip the rear interior out of the car. I took all the foam out under the carpets aswell and rear door cards.

0025.jpg

Then a couple of days after we set off for the ring, car ran faultlessly and never missed a beat the whole way. Few pics from the trip.

0026.jpg

0027.jpg

0028.jpg

0029.jpg

0030.jpg

Also several from track action.

0031.jpg

0032.jpg

0033.jpg

0034.jpg

0035.jpg

0036.jpg

Lotus Elise
looks like a good little car, no idea why you would change the manifold though?

Not fancy a 182 4-2-1 item?

Mental 172 Cup
was cheap and cheerful and it near identical to a 182 manifold just a little shorter..

Mental 172 Cup
Got back for the ring after an awesome trip, it was time to give her a winter clean and get her ready for the k-tec rolling road day in December...

0037.jpg

K-Tec Rolling Road Day... Went down with a group of friends who also have Clios and sign on to get the car put on the rollers to see what she was putting out...

Results...

0038.jpg

Was fairly happy with the results, we managed to get the figure to 175bhp 156ft/lbs by fitting a standard air box on there, rather than the crappy air filter I had on there.

So after doing the December rolling road day, there was also news of a rolling road day in January, Josh from Cooksport told me about an induction setup that he installed on his Clio 182 previously and how it made a fair bit of difference, so we put it to the test.. Fitted a race battery under the passenger seat and the induction setup...

0039.jpg

0040.jpg

Then drove down to k-tec in January and again signed her on the rollers with the new setup to see how much difference it made.
0041.jpg

From 175bhp 156ft/lbs to 180bhp 168ft/lbs, we thought this was a huge improvement. The car felt and drove alot better and pulled like a train. Not to mention the sound.

As it’s going down the track car route I thought that I could use a scan gauge, so for Christmas I got bought one. I was trying to find a good place to fit it and took me a while but I decided that having the aftermarket stereo the clock display doesn’t work so I decided to chop the surround to fit it in there and it fitted perfect...

0042.jpg

Then after Christmas my tires were getting low on tread and the beads were starting to leak air due to corrosion, so I took them off and fitted 172 alloys from a friend and sent my turinis off to City Powdercoating in Birmingham...

0043.jpg

0044.jpg

They were ready a couple of days later so I went back to pick them up, in that time I ordered 4 x Federal 595 RSRs to see what they were like as they are highly rated. Got them fitted and then fitted the wheels onto the car along with a Pure Motorsport Stud Conversion kit...

0045.jpg

0046.jpg

0047.jpg

Then a set of Sparco Rev bucket seats came up cheap so I bought them and as soon as they arrived I fitted them.

Before
0048.jpg

After
0049.jpg

0050.jpg

Then I ordered a Sabelt Steering wheel from Renault and a set of Sabelt 3” Harnesses and fitted them

0052.jpg

0053.jpg

172 cup + gsxr 600
This is awesome mate! Exactly what I'm planning to do, don't know if I'll be able to to change the manifold though! Have you thought about strut bracing and coilovers?

Awesome progress so far. Car looks lovely. Interesting to see the difference between the three different intake set ups too.

How much did you seats set you back by the way if you dont mind me asking? Really like them and not sure whether to swap mine for some..

Mental 172 Cup
Thanks for the feedback.. I still have a few more updates to do so far that's only up till April 2012.. Ha. Manifold is engine out or subframe down job, so maybe something to think about if your having a clutch or something.. Coilovers are planned and there is an update soon along the lines of a strut brace.. So keep a look out..

The sparco revs I paid £270 for them, they were 2nd hand. Very nice seats but a little too narrow for my hips so I got rid not long after.. Definatly would recommend getting the XL ones, with you being in two mind I think upgrading to race seats is probably one of the best characteristic changing modification I've done, without a doubt.. Go for it..

Mental 172 Cup
Update..

The rear harness points were beginning to annoy me so I was talking to Josh and he said about welding a harness bar in, so I went to Merlin Motorsport and got a length of CDS and two turrets made by my mate and then Me, Josh and my mate welded it in one Sunday.. Sprayed it black to stop it from rusting..

0054.jpg

Just before FCS I had no bullets on the car and it was looking a bit untidy, so I sprayed the centre caps on the wheels and the Renault diamonds, the mirror caps and bullets and front diamond the same colour as the wheels..

0056.jpg

0055.jpg

Pic of it at FCS

0057.jpg

So then I decided that the car wasent light enough, I sat there one weekend and decided to strip the complete dash out and chop out the complete airbag loom, then relocate an amp I had connected, had the dash out for a couple of days and gave her a wash and took a few photos.. Also changed the crap springs to Apex to get rid of reverse rake but no pics of the change..

0063.jpg

0062.jpg

0061.jpg

0060.jpg

0059.jpg

0058.jpg

Put my dash back in and did a test patch of colour I wanted to paint the interior, also removed the passenger seat for some unknown reason..

0064.jpg

The day I got the dash back in I was sat in Krispy Kreme having a doughnut and a Full weld in Rollcage came up for sale on here at an awesome price, so I had to have it. So the weekend after I picked it up.. It was green at first and I didn’t like the design of some of the cage so I decided to grind all the bits off I didn’t need and customise it, also strip all the paint off of it.

The following weekend after a week of prep work and the purchase of more CDS from merlin I went to Cooksport and we welded the main hoop and front section of the rollcage into the car.. Then started to use the new CDS to create a new rear section.. I have only one pic of one side of this.. But more of the finished product will follow.

0065.jpg

0066.jpg

It took us two days to get it all aligned and welded in and scalloping etc.. So Sunday evening we rolled it out of the workshop. You can kinda see the rear section here..

0067.jpg

There was still plenty more planned but as this was currently my daily I had to drive it so we got the main bits welded in and then I drove it until it was possible to do more..

Mental 172 Cup
Still have a couple updates to go. But require more pics that I deleted so will take more over the weekend and update again.. Thanks for all the comments..

No car
That looks amazing Luke, I love the wheel refurb, the steering wheel, the seats, the harnesses.... you get the picture right lol

Mental 172 Cup
Cooksport springs have all the benefits of Eibachs and Apex springs, without any of the drawbacks.. Cooksports definatly..

Clio 182
Cooksport springs have all the benefits of Eibachs and Apex springs, without any of the drawbacks.. Cooksports definatly..

:) . I'm trying to get a set of cooksports but i think they are busy as not replying to any pms etc.

Anyhow i love your progress, any updates?

Mental 172 Cup
Ring Josh direct mate, he's fairly busy at the moment. 07980222001..

Yep have got a bit of progress done, will update soon..