ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lowering springs help please!

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
I've had my clio for about 5 months now and decided its time to lower it, I want to get coilovers but there out of my price range as I've had to buy a new starter motor, coils, spark plugs, and a new throttle pedal and sensor so it's set me back quite a bit! I know coilovers are much better than springs but I just want it nice and low. I'm think of getting 50mm springs but not sure if it will be practical for daily use and to see if it has a nice stance. If u have any pictures of it a Clio dynamique or any non sport ones lowered by 50mm so I can get a rough idea on what it will look like. Also if anyone has any 2nd hand coilovers for sale for less than 150£ I would much appriciate it. Thank you for your time!

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
I wouldent bother with springs save up and get coilies cos in the long run if u did get springs u would need a new suspension in a few months cos the springs will smash ur dampers to bits

53 Clio's & counting
Springs will smash your dampers to bits? :S having cheap springs on can wear out dampers quicker, but can't 'smash them to bits'

i do agree if you want it quite low and still retain a decent ride quality, you need a decent set of coilovers, if you fitted just a set of cheap lowering springs you will be putting more stress on the standard damper, as it's travel will now be shorter and bear in mind it is damped to be a long travel shocker to give a soft ride, having it's travel reduced will mean it is still as soft damped as it was, but with more chance of 'bottoming out' where the shock compresses as much as it can.

Unfortunately,there is no way of going low, decent ride and cheap matey, a set of cheap coilovers will be a little better, only because at least they are damped to go low, but due to the low quality, they still will not be great

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Don't bother. It upsets the ride quality and puts extra load on the rear brakes because the car is sitting lower so it thinks it's carrying extra weight. I've had a car that was lowered a few years ago and it was painful to drive over anything even slightly rough.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Springs will smash your dampers to bits? :S having cheap springs on can wear out dampers quicker, but can't 'smash them to bits'

i do agree if you want it quite low and still retain a decent ride quality, you need a decent set of coilovers, if you fitted just a set of cheap lowering springs you will be putting more stress on the standard damper, as it's travel will now be shorter and bear in mind it is damped to be a long travel shocker to give a soft ride, having it's travel reduced will mean it is still as soft damped as it was, but with more chance of 'bottoming out' where the shock compresses as much as it can.

Unfortunately,there is no way of going low, decent ride and cheap matey, a set of cheap coilovers will be a little better, only because at least they are damped to go low, but due to the low quality, they still will not be great

smashed to bits was a bit extreme lol they certainly wear them out quickly

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Don't bother. It upsets the ride quality and puts extra load on the rear brakes because the car is sitting lower so it thinks it's carrying extra weight. I've had a car that was lowered a few years ago and it was painful to drive over anything even slightly rough.

this only applies to cars with rear brake bias valves. If it has ABS, then this is nonsense