ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lowering a Clio ?????

Renault Clio RSi Mk1
How much is one notch/spline on the rear torsion bar of a mk1 RSi?
And is it worth lowering to improve the handling?

I have just fitted the Ultimate Suspension Kit from K-TEC Racing, lowering the front end about 35mm and had the guys lower the back end one notch...... This however seems to have lowered the rear end nearer to 70mm??? Do you think the mechanics lowered it two notches by mistake or is this about right for one notch as it seems too low???

Williams Clio
I did mine last week and there isnt really away of measuring how much its been lowered in turns of notches. You simply rasie the torsion bar upwards until its set to the height you want and try getting the torsion bars back in again. I found that i could lower the car around 35mm and 55mm anything in between and i couldnt get the splines to line up to put the torsion bars back in again. They should be able to raise it up a bit more for you 70mm sounds like quite a drop. Hope this helps.

Renault Clio RSi Mk1
Is it easy enough to do ???

It looks like they have dropped it too much, its going back tomorrow to hopefully get it sorted.
If not i will have a go myself, and experiment with the heights...

Thanks for the advice...:cool:

Williams Clio
Yeah its easy enough to do only took me about an hour the first time but it was to low. Second time took me alot longer to get the splines lined up. There is a guide around somewhere on the net im sure someone who knows it will post up the link.

Renault Clio RSi Mk1
AJR93RT said:
Yeah its easy enough to do only took me about an hour the first time but it was to low. Second time took me alot longer to get the splines lined up. There is a guide around somewhere on the net im sure someone who knows it will post up the link.

A link would be handy ;):cool:

S2000
First of all when people say that you can only lower/raise the torsion bar by 35mm at a time don't listen, it's absolute rubbish!!! You can raise or lower the torsion bar by 3mm incriments. Just set the hub to the height you want then keep rotating the torsion bar by one spline at a time till it goes in part of the way. Then when it's partly in either raise/lower the hub by about 1mm till you can push it in properly.

So many people go on about how there are 35mm notches etc but that just b****cks.

S2000
Just read the rest of your post, if you asked them to lower it 35mm take it back and ask them to redo it. TBH if they can't do it then they can't be great mechanics as I managed to do it myself and I just teach myself as I go when it comes to working on cars.

Williams Clio
Strange when i tried lowering mine i couldnt get the torsion bars to go in at the height i wanted. Surely rotating the bars a spline at a time wont do anything if the splines on the arms dont line up with the splines in the centre? Correct me if im wrong.

Im sure the splines are equally spaced around the radius of the bars although if not rotating them a spline at a time may work.

Would be usefull to find out as i really want to raise mine back up about 5-10mm if possible.

Last edited:
  S2000
AJR93RT said:
Strange when i tried lowering mine i couldnt get the torsion bars to go in at the height i wanted. Surely rotating the bars a spline at a time wont do anything if the splines on the arms dont line up with the splines in the centre? Correct me if im wrong.

Im sure the splines are equally spaced around the radius of the bars although if not rotating them a spline at a time may work.

Would be usefull to find out as i really want to raise mine back up about 5-10mm if possible.

I thought that at first as well, but it did work. You will definately be able to raise it 5-10mm.