ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio MK3 1.2 TCE
So i just turned 17 in July and passed my test last month. I currently am driving a Clio 1.2 16v Campus and the insurance is already a killer. I was looking at getting a 1*2 and potentially getting it towed but that was so much money and insuring and driving it there was even worse. Just looking for any advise on how to get something on the track and have fun.
Any help would be great!

Sorry if this is in the wrong bit but did want to make it a project so? :/

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Walk before you can run

The 1.2 you have will be fun enough on the right roads, if you're already paying X amount for insurance and its a bit crippling then there's no point in spending another £500+ on a 1*2 and then another £100~ on each trackday plus fuel, tyres, tools, general upkeep of the car. Then on top of that if you're wanting to trailer it, a trailer is £400+, then you have your B+E or you'd need someone to tow it there or buy another car capable of towing it. It gets expensive really quick unfortunately, unless you have friends in the right places.

The only logical thing would be to take the 1.2 on a trackday (insurance dependant) or to get put on as an additional driver of someone you know doing a trackday. Hate to burst your bubble but just enjoy the 1.2 for what it is, mod it, make it better, get a year under your belt and then potentially look for a 1*2. Until you hit 21 your insurance company are gonna bend you over and laugh while they shaft you all the way to the bank mate. I'm 22 and my insurance has just started to hit £400 a year for a 172/Megane 175

Hope this helps dude :)

As above just track the 1.2. Start of with taster sessions to give the car a shakedown to see what it needs (tyres, brakes, dampers springs, bushes etc) and 100% pay for a session of tuition as at 17 this will be invaluable for you to get the best from the car and yourself. Once you're happy with the car on track then start looking at novice track days and build up your driver skill level. Then you can move up to a 1*2 being confident in your own ability and start doing open pit days.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Was gonna say forget car racing if cost is the smallest of factors. Season of club100 (which is great racing) is less than your average amateur road car meeting.

Clio MK3 1.2 TCE
As above just track the 1.2. Start of with taster sessions to give the car a shakedown to see what it needs (tyres, brakes, dampers springs, bushes etc) and 100% pay for a session of tuition as at 17 this will be invaluable for you to get the best from the car and yourself. Once you're happy with the car on track then start looking at novice track days and build up your driver skill level. Then you can move up to a 1*2 being confident in your own ability and start doing open pit days.

Walk before you can run

The 1.2 you have will be fun enough on the right roads, if you're already paying X amount for insurance and its a bit crippling then there's no point in spending another £500+ on a 1*2 and then another £100~ on each trackday plus fuel, tyres, tools, general upkeep of the car. Then on top of that if you're wanting to trailer it, a trailer is £400+, then you have your B+E or you'd need someone to tow it there or buy another car capable of towing it. It gets expensive really quick unfortunately, unless you have friends in the right places.

The only logical thing would be to take the 1.2 on a trackday (insurance dependant) or to get put on as an additional driver of someone you know doing a trackday. Hate to burst your bubble but just enjoy the 1.2 for what it is, mod it, make it better, get a year under your belt and then potentially look for a 1*2. Until you hit 21 your insurance company are gonna bend you over and laugh while they shaft you all the way to the bank mate. I'm 22 and my insurance has just started to hit £400 a year for a 172/Megane 175

Hope this helps dude :)

Yeah it looks like this is gonna be the only logical thing to do right now. Looking at some novice track meets soon hopefully and going to check out what my insurance is going to say about it first. Is their anything that anyone would recommend that i do before a novice track day in particular? thinking of just doing a good service and changing brake pads because mine are almost dead anyways :(
Thanks for the help!

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Yeah it looks like this is gonna be the only logical thing to do right now. Looking at some novice track meets soon hopefully and going to check out what my insurance is going to say about it first. Is their anything that anyone would recommend that i do before a novice track day in particular? thinking of just doing a good service and changing brake pads because mine are almost dead anyways :(
Thanks for the help!

Make sure all your running gear is solid, you’ve got decent brakes and decent tyres. A decent helmet is advisable too.

As mentioned above, pay for a tuition session. There’s a lot of etiquette on a track so it’s vital to know what it is and it’ll also be helpful to know how to take corners and apexes, what speed to be taking each corner and so on.

Good luck mate.

Clio MK3 1.2 TCE
Was gonna say forget car racing if cost is the smallest of factors. Season of club100 (which is great racing) is less than your average amateur road car meeting.
Look up Club 100 go-karting and do that first :D

I'm going to look into it a bit more as well as it does look good and i'm quite close to a few of the circuits (i live in Bedford) and seems like a good way to build experience while im still young. Thanks!

Clio MK3 1.2 TCE
Make sure all your running gear is solid, you’ve got decent brakes and decent tyres. A decent helmet is advisable too.

As mentioned above, pay for a tuition session. There’s a lot of etiquette on a track so it’s vital to know what it is and it’ll also be helpful to know how to take corners and apexes, what speed to be taking each corner and so on.

Good luck mate.

Thanks for the help ! Definitely need to get some tires too! Anyone got recommendation on tires and brakes for a 1.2 16v? and yeah i've looked into it a bit and it seems really worth it, going to do it for definite!
Thanks!

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Tyres start off cheap but good, something like NS2R 195/50/16 or Michelin PS3. Can pick them up for less than £100 for a full set on eBay (part worn, few laps usage)

As for brakes, DS2500/DS3000 and some Standard High Carbon discs. You’re probably best off sticking some decent lowering springs on there too, Eibach or Cooksport can be picked up for less than £100.

Just don’t go crazy modding your car for track and don’t tell your insurance ;)

Yeah I wouldn't bother telling your insurance as it will probably cost you over £100 a day and the car just isn't worth that much if you bin it. Just strip for parts and buy another.

Oh and get yourself AA cover as in my experience they will collect you from track if it goes t*ts up.

Last edited:

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
What about looking at a different motorsport? Something like auto tests, auto solo's or taga rallying. All can be done in a standard road car that can be driven to and from the event.

Clio MK3 1.2 TCE
Thanks for all the replies! been driving about just seeing if anything is noticeably bad or needs upgrading, so far its just brakes pads, tires and suspension. Looked into some novice track days and hopefully going to be doing some early next year and also hopefully going to get to actually buy some stuff soon and will keep it all updated.