ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking to buy my first Clio Williams

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Hi all,

names Chris, 23 from Hastings. Am currently driving a 205 mi16 which i a great car, but as always, looking to change. Always loved Clio Williams. Could be getting a Williams 2 next weekend in p/x for my 205. Unfortunately the car is over 200 miles away so cant really pop round to look at it. Im a mechanic by trade so know what to look out for, but is there any real nasties i should be on the hunt for? I think i remember Clios having an appetite for gearbox bearings when i worked in an independant garage, also the occasional headgasket, and the battery light wire and starter wire used to mess about? Apart from that not a great deal else.

If someone could help, and stop me from buying an old nail, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris.

wiring in clios is generally P*sh as most people will tell you, much you buying the clio for man. Could get a ph1 172 for around btw unless your heart is set on the williams ;)

RenaultSport 172.
Sunroofs leaking

RUST GALOURE!(if not looked after)...rear arches...sills...bottoms of the doors

Steering rack bushes tend to have play when aged...

then obviously check the obvious....:)

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Eurospark, its up for £2400. I wouldn mind an early 172, but the seller wants my 205 in p/x. And ive always loved Clio Williams. It does have slight play in the steering, but i remember doing loads of uj's at the bottom of the steering column. It only has a slight bubble on the n/s/r arch, apart from that its really tidy.

Willy 2's don't have sunroofs, only the 3's (well, some 2's had factory options, but hardly anyone went for this).

Main concern should be rust, arches, bottom of doors, tailgate, subframe and engine bay near the strut turrets are all ones to look out for.

Gearbox is another - if it's notchy then it wont last long, gear change should feel nice and solid, if there's any vibrations then the top mount under the batter tray should be replaced, otherwise they fall off and destroy your drive shafts.

Suspension - should feel tight and well connected, it's hard to tell if the springs or shocks are fucked, as when mine were it still handled exceptionally well... after replacing them it was simply amazing.

Head gaskets aren't an issue, the heads are strong, but you can get a thicker steel uprated one anyway, I had one on mine and never had any issues with that.

The engine should also pull strong like an 8v car from low revs, 90% of available torque is at 2500rpm and it should be felt easily.

As for 172 Ph1 money... I currently own one and day to day it's easier to live with in reliability terms, but the Williams is a much better drivers car and handles much better.

Peddled device
I think the MI16 will be the quicker car...but if you get a good Williams it'll be as much fun.