ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

looking to buy a charged cliosport... what to look out for?? any help please.

Clio 182 trophy
Hi guys, i am looking to buy a charged clio whether it be turbo or supercharged is there any key points to look out for when buying one. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
give people chance - it's the middle of the day on a Thursday, hardly peak traffic time is it?!

Clio200cup
Hi guys, i am looking to buy a charged clio whether it be turbo or supercharged is there any key points to look out for when buying one. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

What Clio are you thinking of buying?

Only tips i can give you is find out who built it, saves you loads of time if something goes wrong and may even put you off buying a particular car in the first place.
Theres a white Clio200 on ebay now with a meg230 engine in i think, its cazan racings car he sold a few months back.

FF Clio 182
Only option that I know of for supercharger is a Rotex unit. Yet they expensive and apparently not that reliable

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Only option that I know of for supercharger is a Rotex unit. Yet they expensive and apparently not that reliable

Not entirely true. The rotrex is the only easy fit option, and in many cases can be cheaper than a turbo. The only reason they can become expensive is if the Rotrex fails. You can't rebuild a rotrex, whereas you can a turbo unit. Reliability is fine if looked after like most things. @WillyWonka has done over 40k in his.

OP - I am about to supercharge mine. In terms of looking for what to buy we need an idea of budget / what you want the car for. Are you looking for high numbers? Or usable power on track. Either way, I'd budget in a Limited Slip Diff aswell, and some braking upgrades. So if you are buying a car, check for these. Also, the mapping. A well mapped car can make the difference between nice, usable power and lag etc. It is also the difference between the engine going pop or not.

Need some more info, but in truth, turbocharging or supercharging a clio is probably the last modification I would do. Plenty of other things to do to it to make it 'fast' before boost.

172 Turbo
As Cub said, I was thinking of sending mine off for boost, however, I've decided to refresh the suspension and brakes and get that extra speed that way.

SQ5
I would never buy one already done. I think I've owned the most supercharged Clio's too!

Had first one done, bought my second (RSTuning ex-Demo) and built my third.

I'd never want to own one that I hadn't learnt the quirks with and new exactly how it went together if I needed to fix something.

Clio 182 trophy
Thanks for the reply guys. The Clio I am looking at has had everything done. The last thing to do is a set of 4 pots. The chap has built it himself. He owns a transmission company up in Kettering. The car is pushing 248hp so say so IMO is not too much. He has just put a new rotrex charger on it. Seems a very well based car with everything already bolted in. Eg cage, decent suspension, poly bushed, rear arb. I have had the thought of taking the charger of for a set of itb but would see how everything goes first.

Clio 172 phase 1 sc
It depends on your budget if you have loads if money that you can throw into it without the missis moaning build your own if your on a budget get a second hand one for half the price of a build

Clio 182 trophy
My missus will help me build it that's the trouble. Lol. I've found this one and I now it can and needs more work. Not power as that is ample at 248bhp. But other mods as stated above.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
If you have a spacific car in mind then post the link up and people can give better/more accurate advice.

Clio 172 phase 1 sc
Just to add myn is 249 and that is plenty can't really see much more being needed for road/occasional track use.

Clio 182 trophy
Supercharged Clio 172 cup BiG SPEC

Clio 172 cup 52 plate
Shell has done just about 100k but it's mint
Ktec rotrex supercharger kit
Runs 248bhp at the wheels with dyno proof

Interior:
Stripped
Omp suade steering wheel
Cobra Monaco pro bucket seats
Ktec roll cage
Light weight door cards
Phase 1 gearknob/shifter
4 point harnesses
Gauges including oil pressure oil temp and boost
Spare wheel in the back oz f1 15 inch

Exterior
Standard 172 cup
White roof
Polycarb windows on side with shutters
Speedline 2118 wheels in 15 with toyo t1r's
Brembos disks with padgid blue pads
Dot 5.1 racing blue brake fluid
Hid conversion

Suspension
Ktec coilovers
Omp front and rear strut brace
2degree camber on front and 1.5 degree on the rear
White line rear arb installed
Being a cup it has a wider suspension track anyway
Polybushed wishbones arb etc

Engine wise
Clio fr4 engine
Rotrex charger
Solid ktec engine mounts
Polybush rear mount
Full ktec kit with recipts of £5000 pounds
Recently had a new supercharger at a cost of £2100 and a new engine

Ktec stealth exhaust system passes track noise restrictions of 93db

This is the spec I have been given

Clio 182 trophy
Yeah will do. Like I said still could do with few more mods. He did recommend better coilovers when asking him a few questions

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Depending on year of golf could be a decent deal either way but I'd want it checked properly and give it a real good test drive...

Clio 182 trophy
Mine is an 06plate that has just touched 100k with few mods like r32 rear bumper full custom exhaust with de cat. Coilovers. Merc sl55 amg wheels. Front gti grill and bumpers. Gti side skirts. Gti steering wheel and knob. Pipercross panel filter and been mapped. There is a few other things too

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I would never buy one already done. I think I've owned the most supercharged Clio's too!

Had first one done, bought my second (RSTuning ex-Demo) and built my third.

I'd never want to own one that I hadn't learnt the quirks with and new exactly how it went together if I needed to fix something.

I think the biggest thing about buying someone elses charged Clio would be 1: Who's selling it? 2: Who mapped it?

Would anyone stay clear of my charged Clio if it ever came up for sale??

Clio 172 phase 1 sc
I think the biggest thing about buying someone elses charged Clio would be 1: Who's selling it? 2: Who mapped it?

You can't be considering selling already? I don't think il sell my one anytime soon!

997.1, Caddy, e208
I'm in the next town over from kettering if you want anything checked out - without travelling.

SQ5

In addition to my comments, mapping would also be the killer.

I'd only trust Paul's mapping, nobody else at all.

PH1 loads of boost!

Definitely. I don't understand people who buy these kind of cars already built. I guess probably because they haven't got it the knowledge to build it or fix it, but with a car like that you're always gonna have niggles and it can get very expensive and a pain in the ass to fix.

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Also I bet that 9 times out of 10 a boosted clio is up for sale because something is wrong, there have been several turbo clios that have been bought and needed a rebuild due to poor compression, there was one that Andy rebuilt not long ago, I bought one and there was a black one last year, most of which I'd imagine was down to a poor map.