ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

looking to buy a charged cliosport... what to look out for?? any help please.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Cor I'd hate to think if I ever thought about selling mine people thought I'm only selling due to something being wrong with it. I did mine back in the year, it's been faultless and has survived a 5day Nürburgring trip. I'm actually bored of not being able to throw more money at it. So to say 9/10 charged clios have something wrong with them is a bit harsh.

Things I'd be looking for is mileage, nice and low, quality of work done is a big give away. If it looks lashed in it's probably lashed together, ALOT of care needs to be given to achieve a reliable conversion. Most of my time was making grommets, making brackets to hold down pipes, using the best quality nuts and bolts, best pipes and clamps, fixings etc. Anybody can slap a turbo/supercharger on but to do it well is time consuming and that shows.

Clio 182 trophy
This thread has helped loads. Keep the info coming people... I'd hate to know that someone is selling their car because it's broken, I'd be straight back there.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Echoing what @incey-spider has said, I'd be slightly offended if that's what people were thinking.

Mines done 2500 trouble free miles so far, it has an extensive project thread to back up all the work done, parts bought including invoices and went the expensive alternative route to mapping the OE ECU by having the widely respected mapper Chris at EFI to install a new Adaptronic ECU and map it to as part of his drive in drive out offer.

No expense was spared and like to think it shows with the finished product and the end figure of 256bhp.

SQ5
I've seen a turbo conversion done by one of the current "in-tuners" on here at the moment and was shocked at the general untidiness of it. Random wires and oil lines not tidied etc...

I built a supercharged Clio on my drive in less time they had it and the end product was a lot neater!

0574ae5a6e01e6e8fa02ccbebd43e3b2.jpg

In my opinion just because some nice photos have been taken and words written, your still fucked if something goes and you don't know how to fix and the tuner that did it is an 800 mile round trip!

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
I've seen a turbo conversion done by one of the current "in-tuners" on here at the moment and was shocked at the general untidiness of it. Random wires and oil lines not tidied etc...

I built a supercharged Clio on my drive in less time they had it and the end product was a lot neater!

0574ae5a6e01e6e8fa02ccbebd43e3b2.jpg

In my opinion just because some nice photos have been taken and words written, your still fucked if something goes and you don't know how to fix and the tuner that did it is an 800 mile round trip!
Exactly this.. don't believe the hype as anyone can take photos and tell you they've done this and done that. Your doing exactly right by asking questions.. this way you'll know what to look out for.. Good luck

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Agreed, no harm in asking questions. The owner can hopefully answer questions with confidence along with photographic evidence and/or invoices to back it all up. Like anything go with your instincts, if you don't feel positive vibes from the answers or info politely walk away afterwards.

Regards supercharger conversions, as mentioned the biggest outlay for a failure will be the supercharger itself. No rebuild and an outlay of around £1100 for a new unit, other than that there isn't much in the way of parts from the supercharger kit compared to the turbocharger kits.

Intercooler
Boost pipe runs
Supercharger unit
Oil cooler and associated lines, Header tank for traction fluid
Induction run layout and air filter

Bare in mind it should also have (In my opinion on some)

Megane 225 injectors
Megane 225 Crank pulley
Complete Phase 1 Clio 172 fuel setup: Fuel rail, fuel lines, fuel sender
Walbro 255 fuel pump

The Phase 1 fuel system is a much more stable fuel system on turbo/supercharged Clios

13726733924_9d3ea80f44_b.jpg
. by Ricard o1, on Flickr

13726351405_819e237f49_b.jpg

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Agreed, no harm in asking questions. The owner can hopefully answer questions with confidence along with photographic evidence and/or invoices to back it all up. Like anything go with your instincts, if you don't feel positive vibes from the answers or info politely walk away afterwards.

Regards supercharger conversions, as mentioned the biggest outlay for a failure will be the supercharger itself. No rebuild and an outlay of around £1100 for a new unit, other than that there isn't much in the way of parts from the supercharger kit compared to the turbocharger kits.

Intercooler
Boost pipe runs
Supercharger unit
Oil cooler and associated lines, Header tank for traction fluid
Induction run layout and air filter

Bare in mind it should also have (In my opinion on some)

Megane 225 injectors
Megane 225 Crank pulley
Complete Phase 1 Clio 172 fuel setup: Fuel rail, fuel lines, fuel sender
Walbro 255 fuel pump

The Phase 1 fuel system is a much more stable fuel system on turbo/supercharged Clios

13726733924_9d3ea80f44_b.jpg

13726351405_819e237f49_b.jpg

Agreed 100%