ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

long Journeys in an RS clio

ph1 track weapon
Hi all,

Decided i'm gonna be a little spontaneous seeing as i'm currently unemployed, and tempted to to drive to the alps to spend a week with the other half.

Its a 1400 mile round trip :eek:

Has anyone else ever done anything of this sort of distance before? anything i need to look out for, provision for?

Its gonna be about a 10 hour trip so will do it in 4 stints with a half hour break after 2 and a half hours each time or something. Leaving early AM

May even do a mini photo diary too!

i did 1800 miles over the space of a few days in mine, drove up to scotland from bristol and a bit of a tour round, up to glen coe / fort william etc.

it was fine. tiring on the motorways though.

i'd just make sure your cars in top form before you do it, make sure everythings replaced / refilled etc take the things you need for driving in europe and enjoy. it'll be awesome little roadtrip.

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
Fair play being unemployed owning an RS clio and being able to afford the petrol to drive to the Alps !!

Either way, definately do it ! Would be an epic trip, make sure youve got some breakdown cover just in case !

Awaits photos :)

172 Cup
I went snowboarding from Notts to italian alps with 4 people in the car and a loud exhaust system last year!! Was interesting to say the least, but when it got to the mountain roads it was sweet!! Do it, it will be fine!

ph1 track weapon
Well I kinda thought why the hell not.

A checklist of stuff would be awesome if someone has one.

Gonna take a few pillows as padding, as not sure the bimarcos will be comfy enough by themselves

Thinking I'm gonna leave next weekend, so have time to prepare :)

ph1 track weapon
Jimmy, what did it set you back in fuel out of interest?

Yeah gb sticker on the list. Car is freshly serviced, new tyres, no rear seats (room for board bag) so in good health. Best stock up on tyre foam!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Fuel just work it out? Aint hard lol.

i reckon it would be £230 of fuelish.

Civic Type S GT
Christ I can drive from Preston to Manchester and end up with chronic back pain in mine!
Be a cracking drive though bud! Pic will deffo be needed for that bud!

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Furthest I've driven in the 172 is 300 miles without stopping.

You need hi-viz jacket, spare bulbs, water, spare wheel (tyre foam is rubbish), european breakdown recovery, insurance that covers driving in Europe, and maybe snow chains with going to the Alps.

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
I have done it to the Alps, I actually live pretty close to them and drive from my house in Ipswich UK (nearly 700 miles), 10h total journey time in a brand new Clio 200 Cup. One way to run it in :cool:

No problems at all, great fun.... Just wouldn't want to do it every day :)

Don't forget the Peage, 60 Euro each way on top of your fuel.

Clio 200 Cup
I did this trip last week in a Porsche Cayman S. We got the ferry from Hull to Zebrugger in Belgium, drove down through France to Annecy, then into Geneva for the motor show, then up the Les Deux Alp for three days of snowboarding. All good stuff but we were caught out by the price of petrol (24mpg) and tolls...

Two things to watch for:

1) Petrol is bloody expensive, especially in France. I saw petrol at Euro 1.80/L near Geneva.

2) Tolls. We spent roughly £150 on tolls in total. try to route your journey through Germany if you can (may not be practical) but petrol and tolls are cheaper.

The roads in the Alps are epic tho!

alien green rs133
i drove 400 miles in england to t5's house, drove to dover got ferry drove 900miles to austria, skied then drove 900 back to england then drove home. over 2k miles most of them in a trophy and the rest in a sport wanna be on itb's awesome time :D

after driving 900miles in a trophy got out and felt refreshed :S

Dodgy one
I get nackered after an 80 mile trip in mine!!! Fair play to doing 1400 :eek:

Stiff neck, Saw back and arse FTL :lol:

Peugeot 306 D Turbo
I drove from southhampton airport to Dundee yesterday, took 8 hours and wasn't bad.
Exhaust got a bit annoying in a 182 with a stainless system but very comfy and cruise is so handy!

197 Albi Blue
We always tend to do it over two days. Stopping at Riems on the way down in the Novotel, and then getting to the alps the next day around 3pm.

I always carry snow chains when driving to the alps this time of year. When you go up the higher roads you will see blue signs saying 'Equipement Obligatoire' and a picture of a wheel with chains on it. When you see these signs its upto you to decide if you need to have chains on or not (just do what everyone else is doing) but if you have an accident or get stuck due to ice or snow, you can get in trouble with the police if you dont have chains.

Always fit headlight converters as you get on ferry or tunnel.
Think you need Warning triangle for France now as well as Germany.
Hi-vis jacket for everyone traveling in the car
Spare bulbs (they make you change them at roadside if they are blown)

I always carry few hundred euros in cash incase get an on the spot speeding fine as well.

320d
I'd do it no problem. My only worry would be if it broke down. However i've done 4000 miles without any major problems in mine so I can't see why it would decide to play up just because your doing a fair few miles in a few days.

fad

Clio 182 FF
Do it, I quite happily drove to Paris in mine and then to the Nurburg Ring the following weel.

As above keep a spare tyre with you, high Vis, warning Triangle and headlight converters job done. Its a common journey not an expedition!

RB 182 cup
I would say deffo do it. I did 1500ish when i went to Le mans.

Likewise...No problems at all apart from a plastic bag becoming melted to my exhaust. Hasnt put me off going again this year!

As someone has already said, make sure car is in top nick and check tyre pressures before you set off

Fiesta STripes
I covered 2300 miles in a week when we went from down here to the north of Scotland for a week.

Took a spare wheel in the boot, and had no problems. Was an amazing trip!

Pics here: http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2406

Taster Pic:

1.jpg

Do it! You'll LOVE it!

Mike, was just about to post up your recent exploits.

Ed, with the Bimarcos make sure you've got some padding for your hips. Will you be using yourt Ebay track Video to record part of the journey.

ph1 track weapon
Pete - I sold my ebay track cam in the end. Decided I wouldnt really use it enough to justify having it! Impulse buying FTL :(

A ANIMAL
i drove 400 miles in england to t5's house, drove to dover got ferry drove 900miles to austria, skied then drove 900 back to england then drove home. over 2k miles most of them in a trophy and the rest in a sport wanna be on itb's awesome time :D

after driving 900miles in a trophy got out and felt refreshed :S

It was a good trip!

driving in your car must have been a nightmare. it sounds like zeus is having a strop!

Ph1 172.
Me and my girlfriend are driving to the south of France in August. We're going to try and take the 'scenic' route on the way down and spread it out over 3 days, camping on the way, then spend a week with my parents at some place they are rent and then drive back.

How easy is it to get about in France if you avoid the toll roads? Our plan was to take quieter, smaller roads where possible.