ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

lol... non RS clios heaps of s**t!

Liquid yellow 182
Re: lol... non RS clios heaps of sh*t!

I went from a pug 106 to a 182 and have never looked back! Couldn't bare to be in anything less anymore.

Why have Macdonalds when you can have Burger King.....more expense but way more satisfying!!!!

i went from my ibiza to the 182, and i actually think it was a step down, the clio isnt as fast i dont think, but still manages to put a smile on my face! :D

Mazda MX5 1.8

justinRT said:
still manages to put a smile on my face! :D

this is just the point! it doesnt matter what car uve got or what others think of it but if it puts a smile on ur face then its worth it

MKIII 138

clio__chris said:
this is just the point! it doesnt matter what car uve got or what others think of it but if it puts a smile on ur face then its worth it

its too true ^^ a 1.2 can do the same, all you need is coilovers and some sort of induction/exhaust for fun noises and your away. i dont race others, private driving is the thrill to me, i even sold my 172 to get an older 172cup as i wanted even more fun, it was little to do with the power.

Tweaked Leon Cupra R

clio__chris said:
does 0-60 in under 10secs but can get over 50mpg without too much effort and looks pretty good too imo

50mpg.... i struggle at 40...!!

mines does it in about 8 secs tho..

I owned a 1.2 16V Dynamique for a few years, then owned a 172 Cup as well, then eventually sold the 1.2 and still have the Cup to this day.

I would never call the 1.2 a crap car by any stretch of the imagination. It handled beautifully, was reasonably nippy compared to most standard 1.2 supermini's, and even looked pretty spot on imo.

Stepping between the two was always interesting, when I was in the 1.2 I missed the mad acceleration and better feel from the handling of the Cup, but when I was in the Cup I strangely missed something about the 1.2. The Cup will hit illegal speeds by the time you've got to third gear, so if you are driving with any sort of regards for license, yourself and other road users you are always easing off a matter of seconds after you've just got going on a straight road. The 1.2 however, I would build up to 60 and try to hang on to every MPH I could around the corners, it was so entertaining and challenging to try and keep the speed through corners.

Eventually my finances will dry up when the mortgage comes along, I wouldn't hesitate in going back to a 1.2 or 1.4 16V. I've had a couple since I started driving (always owned Clio's), put one beyond 120k with no problems and managed 80k overall in them over 5 years without a single breakdown or issue.

I love my Cup and would miss it massively when it eventually goes one day, but I certainly don't think any less of my days in the smaller engined Clio's, don't mistake fast for fun.

As an aside I was a passenger in clio_chris' 1.6 at the Airfield last year, it moves plenty quick enough for British roads and looks/sounds spot on too.

Last edited:
  MKIII 138
ukaskew im with you on that, ive bought a home and an musing about a DCI 100 and selling my cup. i know when ive got 125hp and 180lbft + some lowering and 65mpg + grp 5 insurance and no points on my licence i wont regret it every day (just every other lol)
your right though, lets say you roll out of a junction in the cup a 10mph you have 50more before the limit is up and they pass in under 5 secs. its really hard to keep at 60mph in a car so light it just floats up there all the time :D

RS-1, Bebop, CTR

I've owned an mk1 1.2RN and an mk2 1.6 dynamique before my RS and i loved them both.

But after test driving an RS, i just had to have it and an ordinary clio never felt the same.

Clio 172 mk2

I went from a 280bhp car to the 172 so it was a 'step down' in speed but it's still plenty of fun and after returning over 40mpg it's practical too.

Octavia VRS
ukaskew and meggerman - I'm in the same boat too. Bought a flat with the girlfriend last July so that was the reason I had to keep my 1.4. Tbh at the end of the day, I'd rather have my own place and a 1.4 than still staying with the folks and an RS!

Clio 172 mk2

Or you could have your own place and an RS....it's hardly an expensive car to run is it

Clio Dynamique 1.6 16v

Yea Im loving my 1.6 clio atm, moving from a 1.0 polo to that feels quality! By the time I can afford a 182 theyl prob be other cars about aswell....like the new honda civic type r - as seen on firth gear the other night:cool:

Octavia VRS

Neil G said:
Or you could have your own place and an RS....it's hardly an expensive car to run is it

ok then :S

Just another 10k to get a 182, I think I will keep my paid off 1.4 until all the work in the house is done then get a new car.

i've got a 1.2 and been in a 2 litre model. theirs no argument if performance is what your after the non rs models are never going to be the best choice.
if you want a car to get you from A to B with cheap running costs and without drawing much attention you would hate a 172/82.
it's about what you want from your car. and remember 9/10 clios out their are non rs models as most people want them for their cheap running costs.
I think the topic made a pretty obvious point in terms of performance their miles apart but compare your 1.2 clios to your 1.2 corsa' s and punto's etc thats what their designed to compete against.
the smaller engined clio's don't feel slow(the roads are not a racetrack to most people) they have good brakes and they handle pretty well for a comfy car.
Renault make two litres to give people the choice if they want a fast car they can have one just like they make diesels for people who want extra fuel economy. Their designed for two different markets so i don't see the point in comparing them. The choice is their so if you don't like your 1.4 save up and get an RS model!

A 172 or a 182 or a V6 or a turbo doesn't make you a fast driver.
I prefere my dci to other Clios for what I want and its not just about economy.

Nissan 350Z
I noticed when I was driving around in the mk3 courtesy car (a DCI) that unless you were really going for it in the RS, the mk3 was actually faster! Obviously when you rev them both out, the RS was so much quicker it was funny, but day to day on the road, the DCI felt nice and punchy and could cover ground very quickly. I'd imagine a Mk2 with decent suspension, the DCI 100 engine chipped to 130 would absolutely muller an RS unless you were driving the RS like Michael Shumacher!

TBH, I could put up with a car like this. My Fabia vRS was the same, very effortlessly fast, even if not as outright fast as the RS. Its just a pity that car didnt really handle.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Well mines not a 172 beater (Ive tried!) but Im yt to be outcornered by one! When it comes down to it its the same chassis. Im quite happy with mine, could do with more power though!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
id like more power from mine for overtaking and long straights but the bit i love about it is down a backroad on a nice sunny day i dont have to drive it on the limit and fly round corners to have fun, ist just a really enjoyable car to drive and the induction kit makes it a lot more fun to drop a gear or take it to the redline :D

Nissan 350Z
The smaller engined clios have one advantage in their favour actually, that nobody seems to have mentioned: The engine is lighter, so the car isnt as nose heavy.

A lot of people used to say the 1.6 GTI Pug 205 was a better handler than the 1.9 for this reason, and some also used to say the same about the 8v Golf versus the 16 valver (in that particular case I believe the engine was around 30 kg heavier than the 8v lump).