ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Liquid Yellow Mk1 and RB 182 on track

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Some pictures from last week when me and lesley did Snet on Wednesday, Cadwell on Thursday and Croft on Friday.

DSC_6028_zpsa23e31ac.jpg

DSC_5716_zps515adfc5.jpg

DSC_5758_zps5791cdd2.jpg

DSC_5944_zpsec96eed9.jpg

DSC_5998_zps06afe6d8.jpg

DSC_5717_zpse0c1fef1.jpg

DSC_6219_zps3efe36ff.jpg

DSC_6326_zps8a0bf7c0.jpg

DSC_6267_zps0df67740.jpg

DSC_6176_zps4a848017.jpg

DSC_6268_zps5a1c4974.jpg

DSC_6361_zps2129b084.jpg

DSC_8155_zps610317c0.jpg

DSC_7729_zpsd2316863.jpg

DSC_8099_zps7db03c13.jpg

DSC_7780_zps005282c6.jpg

DSC_7685_zpsbda877ed.jpg

DSC_7782_zps149025a1.jpg

DSC_7728_zpse70fa216.jpg

DSC_8155_zps610317c0.jpg

DSC_8130_zps525a252a.jpg

DSC_8603_zpsd152af9c.jpg

DSC_8657_zps4968c238.jpg

DSC_8629_zps598d8efa.jpg

DSC_8760_zps17b004b6.jpg

DSC_8863_zps035b6bdd.jpg

DSC_9398_zpsbb06cd59.jpg

DSC_8897_zpsa41ff3cf.jpg

DSC_9443_zpsa8702536.jpg

DSC_8898_zpsb790e1a2.jpg

DSC_9442_zpse729a19b.jpg

DSC_9397_zps489db427.jpg

DSC_8899_zpsc06edff2.jpg

DSC_9665_zps6ef5daac.jpg

DSC_9514_zps94006262.jpg

DSC_8702_zps33f01849.jpg

DSC_9479_zpsa5a35bd4.jpg

DSC_9513_zps45d3a003.jpg

DSC_9569_zpsf616c10a.jpg

DSC_9664_zps9cf9d50e.jpg

DSC_9667_zps53b94687.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
RIP Yellow.

Im hoping that its just kind of stunned a bit not actually dead.

Nick Gwinnett is a good friend of mine, which is handy as he is epic at bodywork, and he seems to think that putting in a new quarter and pulling it etc is not the end of the world, so Ive mothballed it for now but I think it will be back ;)

Loving the RB!!!

Such a dependable little car, although I must admit it did feel a bit like a boat after the Mk1 with its Nitron shocks and Rollcentre correction kit etc.

Look at how much the Mk1 doesnt lean in pictures of it cornering hard:

DSC_6326_zps8a0bf7c0.jpg

Compared to the RB which is just a set of road spec KW V2 coilovers:

DSC_8899_zpsc06edff2.jpg

Didn't realise the MK1 was on Nitrons. mmmmmm

Also I thought the RB was on cooksport springs. Shows how good my memory it.

But yeah I see what you're saying.

The RB colour though is beautiful.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Didn't realise the MK1 was on Nitrons. mmmmmm

They are epic mate!

20C710CD-BA56-4E4A-8E5E-D551976D41BC-154-0000000BC56268CB_zps6c9a444c.jpg

59AD9813-19F2-4D20-9438-92DA5171ACA6-597-000001ECF8797064_zpsea3acdcf.jpg

Also I thought the RB was on cooksport springs. Shows how good my memory it.

But yeah I see what you're saying.

RB was on cooksports until recently.

TBH there is little if any difference on the KW, just gives us a bit more control over height thats all.

Handling wise though, its much of a muchness to what it was, its such a good setup the cooksport/cup setup, it was just that I had these spare from the turbo (which is going to sportline 1 next) so figured I would give them a go.

The RB colour though is beautiful.

Yeah thats the only reason we bought this specific car TBH!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thanks George.

Although going to turn my attention back to the turbo for a while, its sat there in pieces still waiting for its rebuild I was goign to do last winter but got distracted by work and by the mk1!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Nice shots. Not sure the mk1 needs 4 pots, it surely only weighs about 750-800kg? Mk1's on track are awesome!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Nice shots. Not sure the mk1 needs 4 pots, it surely only weighs about 750-800kg? Mk1's on track are awesome!

Not had it on a weighbridge mate, but I doubt its anything like that light, especially with the cage.

And it depends what you mean by "need" either, I want the brakes as good as possible so I can brake as late as possible so a bigger disk and a 4 pot caliper gives me that option.

Also dont forget my project plan with this car:
Get handling working well
Get brakes working well
Fit 300bhp honda turbo engine

Even if it was only 800kg (which im sure its not, in fact with two people in I bet its well over 1000!) it would still want big brakes as being a lighter car just means that you get to a bigger speed on the straight with the same amount of power and hence need to brake from a bigger speed which means you need big brakes still.
I bet there is no more difference than the weight of a person (big one like me, lol) between this and my turbo ph1 which is similar power to what this will be, and that just utterly couldnt cope at all on standard brakes no matter what pads I tried.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
in case you wanted a point of reference @Chip-mk1 mines 865kg with 1/3 tank of fuel in and no driver

Cool.

Ive always assumed mine is about 900, still got glass and sunroof etc.

Although I guess if its having a new side put in it now, I may as well lose those for perspex and an ally sheet (despite the weight I do quite like sunroofs on trackday cars for getting a bit of airflow but not when they leak, which mine did, lol)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Not had it on a weighbridge mate, but I doubt its anything like that light, especially with the cage.

And it depends what you mean by "need" either, I want the brakes as good as possible so I can brake as late as possible so a bigger disk and a 4 pot caliper gives me that option.

Also dont forget my project plan with this car:
Get handling working well
Get brakes working well
Fit 300bhp honda turbo engine

Even if it was only 800kg (which im sure its not, in fact with two people in I bet its well over 1000!) it would still want big brakes as being a lighter car just means that you get to a bigger speed on the straight with the same amount of power and hence need to brake from a bigger speed which means you need big brakes still.
I bet there is no more difference than the weight of a person (big one like me, lol) between this and my turbo ph1 which is similar power to what this will be, and that just utterly couldnt cope at all on standard brakes no matter what pads I tried.

Fair point. Look forward to seeing the project develop.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Cool.

Ive always assumed mine is about 900, still got glass and sunroof etc.

Although I guess if its having a new side put in it now, I may as well lose those for perspex and an ally sheet (despite the weight I do quite like sunroofs on trackday cars for getting a bit of airflow but not when they leak, which mine did, lol)

yeah I've kept the sunroof in mine, rest is poly

got a spare set of mk1 poly's with sliders and pov spec rear seals, straight fitment if your interested ;)

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
used, around 7 years old I think now and a bit scratched here and there and a bit faded. they came from P4P originally and I think I still have the original receipt for something silly like 300 with the slider kit

pm me an offer chap as tbh mk1 parts are hard to price these days, lol!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
used, around 7 years old I think now and a bit scratched here and there and a bit faded. they came from P4P originally and I think I still have the original receipt for something silly like 300 with the slider kit

pm me an offer chap as tbh mk1 parts are hard to price these days, lol!

TBH unless they are sub 100 quid, I will probably just buy new as I see little point in saving only a little bit and having old faded ones, so would only want them if very cheap and hence you can probably find someone better than me to sell them to.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Loving the magic 197 turning into a caterham!

Looks like an epic 3 days :)

Look like the fat bloke driving turned into a thin bird and got slightly better lines as well (Lesley is touching the white line but I'm a few inches out)

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Im hoping that its just kind of stunned a bit not actually dead.

Nick Gwinnett is a good friend of mine, which is handy as he is epic at bodywork, and he seems to think that putting in a new quarter and pulling it etc is not the end of the world, so Ive mothballed it for now but I think it will be back ;)

Good news :)

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
as above too, glad your keeping her chap, need all the help we can get keeping mk1's going and be a shame to see another interesting one killed off

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Its not certain it can be saved till I get it down to Nick's next year some time, but seems hopeful so far :)

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
if all you've done is crease the sill a little should be fine. is the floorpan okay and the roof hasn't rippled (or rippled more, most seem to be like the north sea anyway these days)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Roof has rippled a little, and the sunroof glass is now sat in the frame at an angle.

Exhaust tunnel is also rippled badly, but thats from the seats moving and taking the floor with them not from the impact itself so isnt as bad as it sounds I dont think.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
mmm, provided your man can jig it straight should be fine, but sounds like could be some work to put right :(

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I certainly wouldnt be able to fix it, so its one of those rare times when I have to trust someone else to work on my car, but Nick who will be doing it is very good and Im useless at bodywork, engines and suspension and mapping etc no drama and even some fab stuff like linkages and mounts etc, but panels and paint im rubbish.

He's on here but doesnt post much, got a ITB 172 that looks like a Dci.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah he is pretty good, he took one of my favourite pics of our cars too, this one:

XSP_0062.jpg

xtreme sports photography

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Will you still be attending the Rs day at oulton then @Chip-mk1 ?

Not sure if I will go or not mate, wont be driving though, richjwilliams took advantage of my reduced emotional state after the crash and mugged me of my ticket, but I might come along for a few passenger rides.
But now we only have the one trackday car on the road at the moment, it wouldnt make sense to use it the day before our ring holiday, as much as I would like to do oulton I would be gutted if a problem there meant missing the ring the next day!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Not sure if I will go or not mate, wont be driving though, @richjwilliams took advantage of my reduced emotional state after the crash and mugged me of my ticket, but I might come along for a few passenger rides.
But now we only have the one trackday car on the road at the moment, it wouldnt make sense to use it the day before our ring holiday, as much as I would like to do oulton I would be gutted if a problem there meant missing the ring the next day!
Ah right I see! Lol @ emotional state and being mugged for your ticket!! I'd have done the same though!:lolup:

PS

you going to have a passenger seat in your car? If so that might swing it!
Yes mate passenger seat will be in the car. Your welcome to passenger laps. Got a mate riding shotgun for the journey to and from oulton though.