ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lightweight 182 track/road car (Page 6+)

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Hi all
After a trip to nurburgring last may in a e39 m5 and doing a reasnable time off 9:30 laps 5 up and being over taken in a clio track car like as if i was standing still it made me think about turnin my 182 into a track weapon.
here is a image off me in the m5
6dee34be.jpg

This is the story so far when i came back i was still using it for 2 months untill i bought a 306 dturbo as a work horse so the project began from a standard 182.
here is the car when i had it
095927aa.jpg

74360035.jpg

After stripping the complete interior bar dash and selling it along with the wheels i then began searching for bits. In the process off getting the bits i prepped the interior ready so hammerite'd the front foot wells welded motorsport harness brakets and seat runners then sprayed the interior black
so here we go the bits i bought
1) Inovit wheels 17" fitted them with yokohama prada spec2
2) 4pot 330mm hi spec grooved brakes and braded hoses front and rear and grooved rear disks
3) Clio cup racer suspension customised to fit cup packed hubs including top mounts and omp harness bar
4) Whiteline rear anti roll bar
5) Full janspeed exhaust
6) 2x cobra evolution seats 1 normal and 1 gt stripped and resprayed white
7) Flocked top dash,a pillars,steering cowl
8) Trs 4 point harnesses
9) Omp super quadro steering wheel and hub kit
10) Carbon fibre door cards front and rear
11) Ktr Bolt in roll cage stripped and painted white
12) Short shifter kit
13) Clio cup racer door handle spacers

Here is some pics its not finished yet but almost there
828c8f28.jpg

49a7bdaf.jpg

92a6e8fa.jpg

fee17473.jpg

2e7342bd.jpg

1b968b34.jpg

0ac71ee9.jpg

Im waiting for the car to be fully resprayed in black then ill be doing this along with other stickers
a02e624f.gif

If i forgot to mention things ill add and keep you updated

any comments or feedback welcome

EP3 Civic Type R
Re: 182 track weapon attempt

Overall I definently like where you are going with it. The only thing I can't get on with is the size of the wheels for a track car, but as you have previously stated its due to the brakes

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Unless you have 400bhp, you wont need the brakes anyway lol. Just bosh some normal Wilwood/Hi-Specs on there (although you dont really need them either), & fit 15's.

The handling will be considerably worse on the 17's.

Z4 Coupe

Looks sweet! Love the door cards but hate all the stickers!

mk2 ph1 1.4 S

Those wheels are awesome just too big :(

Set of lightweight 15/16 ti keep the unsprung weight as low as possible!

M3, Cup racer'd 182

I know I was going to cause a big debate on the brakes and wheel size I've gone for,
The brakes only cost me £500 second hand with new disks so couldn't turn them down. As for the wheel size there lightweight wheels anyway inovit st-vi weighing only 9.1kg each ok there 17" but does anybody know what size they was using on cup racer cars?.
The car originally had 16" running 50 profile tyres so effectively in me reducing the profile to 40's will allow me to go up in size but still having the overall diameter off 16" with the tyres.

Cheers for all the comments sofar

340i

put some 15" wheels on there, 17" look silly on a clio and will make the handling worse!

mk2 ph1 1.4 S

Did you just say light weight at 9.1kg?

I'm sure the light 15s come in at about 5kg!

M3, Cup racer'd 182

Seriously guys calm down calm down in a scoucers accent lol

17" ain't as bad as you all think, If they are that bad why do they use them on the cup racers now infact why do any race cars use 17" and not go the smallest size they can.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member

clio cup racers are a bigger car now, bigger footprint, maybe thats why they do? old clio cups ran 15s. car looks good though i wouldnt go down the sticker route

M3, Cup racer'd 182

Ok guys, maybe it's something I'll look into changing l8r on down the line

130i Road, 172 Track

Looks good but not a fan of all the stickers you've got planned... couldn't imagine driving it on the road with all them, would have to trailer it to events! Definitely don't put the Clip Cup stickers on, but I don't mind the stripe and sunstrip.

Also, if you're doing a full respray, why not go for a different colour? And is that grip tape in you wheel wells or just paint? Seats look hot :cool:

172 cup, Impreza P1

I know I was going to cause a big debate on the brakes and wheel size I've gone for,
The brakes only cost me £500 second hand with new disks so couldn't turn them down. As for the wheel size there lightweight wheels anyway inovit st-vi weighing only 9.1kg each ok there 17" but does anybody know what size they was using on cup racer cars?.
The car originally had 16" running 50 profile tyres so effectively in me reducing the profile to 40's will allow me to go up in size but still having the overall diameter off 16" with the tyres.

Cheers for all the comments sofar

172's came originally with 195 45 R16's but then 182's came 205 45 R16's. None came with 50's.

Car looks good with the racing livery! :approve:

Same seats as I've got. How do you find them around the hip area? Maybe its just my fat ar*e! lol

Also, see the debate about where to mount your rear straps on my project thread. Accoring to the info from Tony, where you have yours just now is a big no no in the event of a crash!

M3, Cup racer'd 182

Looks good but not a fan of all the stickers you've got planned... couldn't imagine driving it on the road with all them, would have to trailer it to events! Definitely don't put the Clip Cup stickers on, but I don't mind the stripe and sunstrip.

Also, if you're doing a full respray, why not go for a different colour? And is that grip tape in you wheel wells or just paint? Seats look hot :cool:

The stickers was a idea I had last year but these are the cup racer version have you seen the r3 version it's like a shredded effect so will end up having the r3 but I'll also be putting other stickers as well as this,

I was thinking off changing the colour to a racing blue or baby blue but id still have the engine bay black so decided to keep it black for that reason.

Cheers mate the sears are very comfy which surprised me would defo recommend them to any1 :)

M3, Cup racer'd 182

172's came originally with 195 45 R16's but then 182's came 205 45 R16's. None came with 50's.

Car looks good with the racing livery! :approve:

Same seats as I've got. How do you find them around the hip area? Maybe its just my fat ar*e! lol

Also, see the debate about where to mount your rear straps on my project thread. Accoring to the info from Tony, where you have yours just now is a big no no in the event of a crash!

When I had the car the previous owner put 50" on there but when I renewed the tread I put 45" on anyway as I hate tractor tyres lol, so assumed they came with 50" standard.

Cheers mate check the r3 version looks twice as nice,

The seats are awesome im 34 waist but I like tightish fitting seats anyway so I've got the normal and passenger has the Gt.

I was going to use the standard rear mount point area but drill another next to it but after removing the fuel tank I noticed it was in a strethening bar :(, Why is it a big no no where I have mine now then I've padded the top off the tank so it can't rub and I've also checked the clearance and it's all fine.

Black Clio GT

looking good mate, might want to think about welding a harness bar to the cage though??!!
understand why youve gone for big wheels to fit the big discs but the standard 280mm are more than big enough with 4 pot calipers.
15" wheels are tryes are a much cheaper as well as better ;-)

M3, Cup racer'd 182

Walkie86 sorry mate the stuff on the foot wells is the stuff you get on a skateboard I bought a load off eBay

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

Really good. Awful wheels though.

I used to have 17's... they lasted a month before I swapped back to 16's.

M3, Cup racer'd 182

looking good mate, might want to think about welding a harness bar to the cage though??!!
understand why youve gone for big wheels to fit the big discs but the standard 280mm are more than big enough with 4 pot calipers.
15" wheels are tryes are a much cheaper as well as better ;-)

I was going to look into welding extra bars on even getting a front half made up but at the mo I wanna get it road legal and sort out the teething problems first.

TrackCar & F30 330d

You have all missed the biggest thing the guy has done to this car!!

He's running cup racer suspension, therefor the guy is a hero full stop!

Yes the wheels are lightweight but a set of 15" OZ Ultraleggers weigh just over 4kg each. So if you can then swap over to a smaller size.

Look forward to seeing the updates :)

car is looking good max , how much did you pay for the suspension if you dont mind me asking ?? i would love a clio cup suspension setup but cant justify spending all that cash on it , wheels look good as well , maybe a tad bit big , but if your not worried about the price of tyres then they will be fine , as said in previous threads 17" wheels are better for turn in and some say handling , people only go for 15" for weight and tyre cost !! hence why i went 15" 2118's on my 182 as im a tight ass and cant be ass'd to fork all that money out on tyres , is your m5 in gloucester now ?? one round behind the walls factory like your one in the picture , has a huge set of brakes on the front of it , and the guy has sprayed the centre of the wheels the same colour as the car ,

also the stickers on the side and the bonnet will ruin the car IMO , they look like the sort of stcikers a chav would have over his 1.2 , stcikers on the rear will look good though , follow the lines along burpspeed's car with there stickers , not some ebay tat

172 cup, Impreza P1

When I had the car the previous owner put 50" on there but when I renewed the tread I put 45" on anyway as I hate tractor tyres lol, so assumed they came with 50" standard.

Cheers mate check the r3 version looks twice as nice,

The seats are awesome im 34 waist but I like tightish fitting seats anyway so I've got the normal and passenger has the Gt.

I was going to use the standard rear mount point area but drill another next to it but after removing the fuel tank I noticed it was in a strethening bar :(, Why is it a big no no where I have mine now then I've padded the top off the tank so it can't rub and I've also checked the clearance and it's all fine.

the angle of the rear strap has to be a maximum of 20 degrees from from horizontal down the way.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Seriously guys calm down calm down in a scoucers accent lol

17" ain't as bad as you all think, If they are that bad why do they use them on the cup racers now infact why do any race cars use 17" and not go the smallest size they can.

They are m8! ;)

I know on track it will be a different scenario, but I put 17s on my previous car from the 14s that came with it as OEM. Totally destroyed the acceleration as not only were they hefty in weight, but don't forget there is more force required to rotate the larger wheel circumference. I've borrowed a set of 15s for a few days when my OEM 182 16's were getting painted. I noticed a subtle but definite improvement with them on. Oh, and it did look the tits as well...... ;)

Speedlines.jpg

If I was to permanently track my 182, I would consider 15s as my primary choice of alloys.

D.

^ lolare ure kids too..

poor choice of steering wheel/stickers/17s :(

:(

the steering wheel isnt that bad , it used to be mine , maybe a bit to small for the hands as there wasnt enough grip for me , but everyone to there own it all depends what someone else prefers ,

M3, Cup racer'd 182

You have all missed the biggest thing the guy has done to this car!!

He's running cup racer suspension, therefor the guy is a hero full stop!

Yes the wheels are lightweight but a set of 15" OZ Ultraleggers weigh just over 4kg each. So if you can then swap over to a smaller size.

Look forward to seeing the updates :)

cheers mate
Hero very happy with that comment lol

buy yourself the 2118's out of the for sale section max , complete bargain , 4 toyo 888's on them , 2 brand new and 2 done a few track days , nice chap who's selling them as well ,

M3, Cup racer'd 182

car is looking good max , how much did you pay for the suspension if you dont mind me asking ?? i would love a clio cup suspension setup but cant justify spending all that cash on it , wheels look good as well , maybe a tad bit big , but if your not worried about the price of tyres then they will be fine , as said in previous threads 17" wheels are better for turn in and some say handling , people only go for 15" for weight and tyre cost !! hence why i went 15" 2118's on my 182 as im a tight ass and cant be ass'd to fork all that money out on tyres , is your m5 in gloucester now ?? one round behind the walls factory like your one in the picture , has a huge set of brakes on the front of it , and the guy has sprayed the centre of the wheels the same colour as the car ,

Hi nick the suspension cost me a bomb just say i only needed to put a little bit more money and i could have bought a new set off ast sp1 lol, price off tyres dont bother me as ill mince through them anyway we only live once so fk it lol, the m5 was sold to a guy down kent so unless he sold it bk on then no not the same car

M3, Cup racer'd 182

also the stickers on the side and the bonnet will ruin the car IMO , they look like the sort of stcikers a chav would have over his 1.2 , stcikers on the rear will look good though , follow the lines along burpspeed's car with there stickers , not some ebay tat

this is just a few pics cropped just to show roughly what it will be like but then on the other hand ive also got other stickers so the car will be plastered lol

im toying with saving up for a clio cup car suspension but not sure if it would be worth the extra money over say set of cheaper bilstein's , have you actually tracked the car yet ? how does the suspension feel , really need to go out in a clio with the cup suspension really to make my mind up for sure!!

M3, Cup racer'd 182

They are m8! ;)

I know on track it will be a different scenario, but I put 17s on my previous car from the 14s that came with it as OEM. Totally destroyed the acceleration as not only were they hefty in weight, but don't forget there is more force required to rotate the larger wheel circumference. I've borrowed a set of 15s for a few days when my OEM 182 16's were getting painted. I noticed a subtle but definite improvement with them on. Oh, and it did look the tits as well...... ;)

Speedlines.jpg

If I was to permanently track my 182, I would consider 15s as my primary choice of alloys.

D.

Looks good that fella :)
my car aint going as a permanent track car as i still want to use it on the roads so the 17" and big brakes is also for looks appeal