ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lightened flywheel

Does anyone have a cad drawing of what can be removed from a standard flywheel? k tec offer one at 3.9kg's from 5.3kg's so im just wondering what would be the best for a road car.

It will be took to a machine shop to do properly but a cad drawing of the maximum allowable material that can be removed would be ideal so that they do not ruin it.

Thanks.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
if you are going to be maching the flywheel, you do ideally need to have it balanced with the crank again afterwards.

the KTR flywheel is 2.9kg

if you are going to be maching the flywheel, you do ideally need to have it balanced with the crank again afterwards.

the KTR flywheel is 2.9kg

Sorry, I did mean to put 2.9

I see where your coming from, but the Ktr lightened flywheel isn't balanced to your crank and clutch setup and there's plenty of people who have lightened flywheels without having to rip the crank out and balance everything. That's the ideal scenario and we're not talking about that here.

I'm just asking for a drawing for the maximum allowable material to be removed from a standard one. If there isn't one available then just the mass that people have had removed from there's?

If there is no drawing, I'll cad up the standard flywheel and once it's been machined ill lay the new dimensions over the top of it for anyone looking for this in the future.

182cup & 172 racecar
A good machine shop should know how far to go, when we got ours done, the guy wanted to know what it was being used for, how many revs and what power the car was putting out.

He just didn't take a load of metal out the back and say, here you go sonny, be careful it might explode if you over rev it.

And before you ask, no I can't remember what it weighs.

I've done loads in the past and when i have done them i dynamically balance them after to make sure there spot on and thats something most machine shop won't do

Cheers for that.

It's going to recommended machine shop that only deal in building engines etc so they've done a load before. I'm just trying to get an idea of the amount of material that can be removed myself.

Cheers ALD I will specify that it's dynamically balanced too!

One i did earlier in a Blue Peter fashion lol

ZVH1.jpg

The engine will rev freely i'e faster revving

It will feel like you've gained more BHP but you won't have

There are some negatives of having a lightened flywheel

As fast as it will rev up it will also drop down the revs as fast when letting off the throttle.

Lets say you have a engine with a small power band and a lightened flywheel, you don't want the revs to drop out of its power band

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
What would you do a lightened/balanced flywheel for, obviously supplying the flywheel myself.

have you weighed that flywheel you have done, assuming it is a clio item!?

phase 1 flamer 172
Surely not a good idea on a road car, must make it more prone to stalling unless you rev it more when pulling away

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Sorry picture is not a clio flywheel that I posted

but, weights and cost?

if the difference of balancing or not to a crank is negligible, I can have my flywheel on the way to you first thing Monday if you fancy the task?

ph1 172
I had a billet steel one made earlier this year. Weighed around 2.4kgs I think and cost me £250. Transformed the car but I would not recommend a billet one for everyday use. With the other modifications that the engine has it revs almost "bike like" but means pulling away isn't as dignified and the throttle is so sensitive to the slightest position change. Took me a couple of hours to get used to heal and toeing because it revved so quick.

master,meg, 205 maxi
i have just got mine i weigh'd the standard 172 it was 6.3 kgs tried to remove as much on a lath and milled some out but best before it got balanced was 4.1kgs bought a billet one from prima racing it is 2.9kgs can't wait to get it built now and mapped see how buzzy it is with revised cwp will be awesome