ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Leak is back

Not a Clio at the moment!
Its not listed as a write off - but the guys reckon it probably was not far from it. When we first lifted the carpets, we found tiny bits of shattered window glass under there...its all piecing together now.....

That makes no difference, you're not entitled to your money back.

Think you'll find under the Sales of goods act this classifies as unsatisfactory quality. - I think I am entitled. Apologies if you are in the legal trade, but have paid for advice on this.

You should have looked better when you bought it.

Cars are crashed. Cars are repaired. That's no reason for a refund.

Thought people on this site were supposed to be helpful, not offering negative. I have gone to solicitors. Why do you know better?

I'm being realistic. It's just common sense.

If it was written off and he denied it, you have a point. As it's illegal to lie about it. But the fact the car has been repaired previously is no reason for a refund. He might not have known. He's under no obligation to give you a refund.

The fact he's a registered trader goes in your favour but he could still just tell you it's done.

Look, the leak has been there as soon as the snow melted. Hers still a trade -I say leak - its a swimming pool when it rains. Renault have checked the main drainage. Its not right and my solicitors have advised accordingly. I have no beef, I just want the car as it should be for £4000. Not some turkey.

The trader is syill obligated to sell a car that is fit for purpose. This car, in rain, is not.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I feel sorry for you, I found mine had had a knock in the back when it was a body shop, but lucky nothing like yours (from what you have said) but finding out made me feel pretty s**t.

Unfortunately i think you may have a fight on your hands as he will say it never leaked when he had it, which u can't prove.

Also unless it is dangerous because of the poor previous repairs then I think you may be stuck with it because its not illegal to use/sell a car that has been in a previous accident. Hopefully the independent assessment says it dangerous and then you will have a strong case, but I would be careful that you don't spend to much on the solicitor.

How does it feel to drive, have you driven other cups and how did it compare to them?

And what has that got to do with it being crashed?

Nothing.
On advice from the bodyshop, it could be from some of the dodgy panels which have been replaced / welded. Since water is not coming in from the usual places. All seals / drainage tubes have been checked by Renault

I feel sorry for you, I found mine had had a knock in the back when it was a body shop, but lucky nothing like yours (from what you have said) but finding out made me feel pretty s**t.

Unfortunately i think you may have a fight on your hands as he will say it never leaked when he had it, which u can't prove.

Also unless it is dangerous because of the poor previous repairs then I think you may be stuck with it because its not illegal to use/sell a car that has been in a previous accident. Hopefully the independent assessment says it dangerous and then you will have a strong case, but I would be careful that you don't spend to much on the solicitor.

How does it feel to drive, have you driven other cups and how did it compare to them?

Hi, had no other Cups before. Im OK with the fact it may have been in a bash, but when its gonna cost half a grand just to find the cause of the massive leak then its an issue. Woulsnt been too fussed otherwise. Dont want to give the car up. Im taking it back tomorrow however, on advice. Im not now paying for an independant inspection. Its up to the trader to show the car was fit for purpose. If I pay, i have been told, I wont get that money refunded. I have paid enough already. OMG I've just started paying for the car. Thats why I didnt buy private.

And what has that got to do with it being crashed?

Nothing.

You havent read the full thread have you? Its the massive leak thats the main issue - leading to me finding out this other stuff.

Would you except a car full of water that 3 days after purchase when the snow melted (and ever since) had to keep mopping up in rain with bath towels - thats how bad it is. And Ive noticed wires and stuff underneath. Surely not right..for a person who has purchased a £4000 car. Its not fit for purpose when I cant even take a passenger as the carpets are sodden

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
As much as you may deserve to get your money back, you may find it harder than you think, be prepared for a very long and drawn out process.

This is one of the reasons I would NEVER again buy from a trader operating from their house. If you're buying from an independant, you want someone who has been etablished for a long time. And is another reason I am more inclined to buy from big stealers - for the sake of a few extra hundred quid, they are much more concerned about their reputation than a guy who is operating from his house.

I hope you get it sorted, but as I said, be prepared for this to take a hell of a long time. As Revels has said, what is right and what is likely to happen are two very different things.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Hi, had no other Cups before. Im OK with the fact it may have been in a bash, but when its gonna cost half a grand just to find the cause of the massive leak then its an issue. Woulsnt been too fussed otherwise. Dont want to give the car up. Im taking it back tomorrow however, on advice. Im not now paying for an independant inspection. Its up to the trader to show the car was fit for purpose. If I pay, i have been told, I wont get that money refunded. I have paid enough already. OMG I've just started paying for the car. Thats why I didnt buy private.

I think that it would be a lot easier for you to prove it wasn't fit for use if it didn't drive like it should, because if it does drive like it should then i would say its fit for use IMO.

As much as you may deserve to get your money back, you may find it harder than you think, be prepared for a very long and drawn out process.

^^ this is true, unless he happens to be a very nice guy. Even if you get your money back its going to take a long time and probably some/a lot of legal action unfortunately. I really hope you prove me wrong and get it sorted quickly, I am rubbish at buying cars and usually miss something. Don't let it put off Clio cups though cos they are great fun!!

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Cash unfortunately. I do have the traders receipt though.

That makes it even harder.

In future, always pay on a CC. Even if it only 10% of the value, can give you an extra level of protection.

As I say, I wish you all the best in getting your money back or a replacement car, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Then, if you do get stuck with the car, you have the moral dilema of what to do when you come to sell.

It's A Reno
I wish you the best with sorting this out, but, as said, it could be a rocky journey.
Did you HPI the car?

Also, you mentioned that the repairs are obvious to the trained eye. Why is this? Have the correct panels been used? Have they been replaced at pre existing joins and seams and to a good standard?
If not, you could have a case for not fit for purpose, because the integral strength of the monocoque is dependant on like for like replacement, and correct execution of this.

Good luck.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
its not overly difficult to find a leak if its that big, had one on my 172, if you were local id say bring it over

Nissan 350z
Ross172,

Im glad you've taken it to a bodyshop at last but have they actually found the leak yet or are they making excuses? Being crashed or not shouldnt make any difference as they should still be able to find and fix the leak. It sounds to me like they are fobbing you off because at the end of the day you have a car with a leak that needs fixing. End of.

As has been said constantly the ultrasonic device will tell them where the leak is so they can fix rather than this "oh its had a smash, tough luck".

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I wish you the best with sorting this out, but, as said, it could be a rocky journey.
Did you HPI the car?

Also, you mentioned that the repairs are obvious to the trained eye. Why is this? Have the correct panels been used? Have they been replaced at pre existing joins and seams and to a good standard?
If not, you could have a case for not fit for purpose, because the integral strength of the monocoque is dependant on like for like replacement, and correct execution of this.

Good luck.

I believe she said it was HPI clear.

So obviously been repaired privately, as apposed to through an insurance company.

CAT C/D is only if it was written off and paid out. Then repaired by someone and put back on the road.

If you just bash it. Insurance pay to fix it and you keep it. Then there is no record of it on a HPI.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, I'm with you now.

But effectively, if it has been repaired properley through insurance (like it or not everyone) it is worth the same as if it were perfect - particularly if you don't know.

Thanks for the support (some of you not :().

I have returned my car - due to it not being fit for purpose. I have my money back. The leak was massive and as I said, was obviously a problem that was more than blocked drainage. I took legal advice and am glad to say it never come to it (not for me having to fight my case) but thats the end of that - for me anyhow.

I understand what most of you are all saying, but at the end of the day a trader has to sell you goods - no matter what - that is fit for purpose and of a "satisfactory quality".

Please dont ever think, if you are hard done by that you cant fight it and have to accept that.

I will be looking for another Clio 172 very quickly as I can only freeze my insurance for 14 days but will be going through a main dealer this time...

Guess I have to remove my avatar now?!!!!! ;)

whats the dealers number, ill offer them cheap money n fix the leak :D

He was just a trader, not a main dealer. I think he must have known the leak was bad as he accepted it back (nice guy)

I am hoping it is "something and nothing" or else I'd hate to be the next person who brought the car.
Unfortunately I dont have the money myself to take that gamble.