ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lancer Evolution Appreciation Thread

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Nah, as much as I'd love them to there isn't a hope in hell.
I mean, if you're going to licence the engine out of the fastest FWD car currently in production, why not just licence the entire platform???

Do people expect Mitsubishi to take that engine and then built an amazing 4WD Lancer with cutting edge tech and amazing active diffs??
No chance in hell, they don't even have the staff in house to do that kind of work anymore.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
a4101089aa7fee78539d0cc1989c14c4.jpg

8a2fb9dcac54555d08642b971a5bac25.jpg

2007b068e083d7fc85362926a429c246.jpg

So I put some different wheels on and hit Brands on Monday.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Whatever it's up for, put that same amount aside again for year 1 maintenance; if you plan on actually using it.

Haha I'm led to believe their pretty reliable? The main costs to consider were very frequent oil changes, tyres and of course fuel.

Other than a 14 mile each way commute to work which is 90% motorway it'd just be a toy.

Haha I'm led to believe their pretty reliable? The main costs to consider were very frequent oil changes, tyres and of course fuel.

Other than a 14 mile each way commute to work which is 90% motorway it'd just be a toy.
Nice one!! Hope it's good!
On that one, the boot lid spoiler looks real weird with the big spoiler. Way nicer without that one.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member

Consumables are astronomical by anything you've ever even thought about before. :LOL:

I use mine on track, and it'll happily do 5MPG and empty the tank 4-5 times in a day.

Brakes, terrible, big brake kit a must if you go anywhere near smooth tarmac.

Drivetrain, I've never ever launched mine, and still blew a rear diff last year.

Engines, actually very good, if mapped well.

They put up with abuse, but they expect to be treated like royalty in return. Like the highest maintenance spouse you could get.

Oh, and they're pretty much entirely water-soluble.

With all that in mind, I wouldn't change mine for much short of a GT3RS or a 570S. :LOL:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

As Adam says above, they 'expect' to be treated properly. The engine maybe bombproof (certainly in standard/mild tune) and assuming regular oil changes - but you'll still be paranoid with rust on these things. Don't forget, even that Evo 8 above is now 16 years old and made with crap metal to begin with. As Adam mentions as well - the standard Brembos are toss. On Anglesey, I started to get brake fade on the third lap of pushing hard. That was with uprated discs too.

You can't escape the fuel use either. At 26 miles each way on the home to work commute - I would be putting 25 litres in every third day. The journey was 90% motorway and aside from the occasional overtake, I generally stuck to around 70mph.

They like tyres too. Decent rubber gets eaten quickly, so cheap Llyangtang knock-offs will last an even shorter period - and compromise its handling/possibly dangerous.

All of the above however, wouldn't stop me having another tomorrow. Amazing cars.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I can stomach the fuel/running costs although it will be a shock to the Merc. It's rust I worry about.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Well doesn't look like I will be viewing this weekend now. Apparently there is a clunky noise from the front. He has two new wheel bearings to change as one was rough on the last MOT which he says should fix it. Or I can have it and do it myself and he'll knock some money off.

I've not heard a wheel bearing clunking?! Rough or singing away, yeah but not clunking. I'll wait him to sort it before I view. Going on the above it could be anything, diffs, drive shafts...gearbox. o_O

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Well doesn't look like I will be viewing this weekend now. Apparently there is a clunky noise from the front. He has two new wheel bearings to change as one was rough on the last MOT which he says should fix it. Or I can have it and do it myself and he'll knock some money off.

I've not heard a wheel bearing clunking?! Rough or singing away, yeah but not clunking. I'll wait him to sort it before I view. Going on the above it could be anything, diffs, drive shafts...gearbox. o_O

You’re getting a taste of ownership already!

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
It's broken already? Sounds like it's saved you a job.

Now you can just skip to the part where you empty your wallet.

Probs just needs some over night parts from Japan :unsure::LOL:

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
boggo 7/8 lights on that one, don’t look like the mr xenons

Correct although they’re apparently factory. It’s hpi clear and def an MR. You can tell by the roof and I’ve checked the vin. Still, until it’s sorted I’m not gonna view.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
You've had the fuel tank out and checked the body areas around it?? Some of the corners where it intersects the chassis rails can rot out pretty bad.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
aafa149f6dc3ecebc3d0b6cd06d97bce.jpg

This is what mine looks like on top of the tank, or this is what it looked like 2 years when the tank was off.

Sadly mine’s bit the dust on the rear legs. Which is salvageable, But it’s the biggest job and if I’m doing that then I might as well do the whole underneath, and if I’m doing the underneath, I may as well do the bay, and if I’m doing the bay I may as well do the paint on top.

And then I remember it’s a track day, so really only needs enough to get through an MOT. It’s done alright to be a UK car and last this long tbh.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yea thats in decent shape for a UK car, definitely worth spending a few quid on.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I can stomach the fuel/running costs although it will be a shock to the Merc. It's rust I worry about.

And you're right to. All rust can be cut out and repaired..... for a price. The biggest issue you'll have is that the protection measures used to guard them from rust, are often the very same methods used to hide the spreading evil underneath. After all, a freshly Waxoyl'd car beneath looks great in pictures and a sign of maintenance and care to the unwary buyer. The £100 of effort that the current owner has spent however, is conveniently masking the ££££ of work that's required to make it right beneath.

Don't get railroaded into the 'UK registered car' nonsense - it means sod all. Money in-hand and wanting Evo ownership again, I'd go for a Jap-auction car all day long. Unless I knew of a genuine, straight car over here already. Get a clean car devoid of any protection underneath - and assign some money in getting it properly protected. Not your Uncle Dave with the car jacked up on his drive, liberally slapping underseal on with a yard-brush, while his missus it out shopping.

I'd be inclined to think that the clunking noise from upfront would be the bolts on the front diff, which were known to slacken over time. Mine had similar noises from upfront, but not always. It was enough for me to get a bit twitchy with however and a couple of garages that I took it too, could not fully locate what the problem was.

Last edited:

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
And you're right to. All rust can be cut out and repaired..... for a price. The biggest issue you'll have is that the protection measures used to guard them from rust, are often the very same methods used to hide the spreading evil underneath. After all, a freshly Waxoyl'd car beneath looks great in pictures and a sign of maintenance and care to the unwary buyer. The £100 of effort that the current owner has spent however, is conveniently masking the ££££ of work that's required to make it right beneath.

Don't get railroaded into the 'UK registered car' nonsense - it means sod all. Money in-hand and wanting Evo ownership again, I'd go for a Jap-auction car all day long. Unless I knew of a genuine, straight car over here already. Get a clean car devoid of any protection underneath - and assign some money in getting it properly protected. Not your Uncle Dave with the car jacked up on his drive, liberally slapping underseal on with a yard-brush, while his missus it out shopping.

I'd be inclined to think that the clunking noise from upfront would be the bolts on the front diff, which were known to slacken over time. Mine had similar noises from upfront, but not always. It was enough for me to get a bit twitchy with however and a couple of garages that I took it too, could not fully locate what the problem was.

He's done the wheel bearings and....... no change. He says it's just slight knock over rough ground. That's normally top mounts in my experience but i'll suggest the diff bolts. Until he sorts it I've written off viewing the car.

I'm not buying a car a chasing issues from the start although that is sounding like Evo life..lol

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
All sorted now. This is the best pics I can get of the underside...

It’s starting to look a bit brown?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Chassis legs look solid, surface rust on suspension bits is to be expected.