ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Kumho KU31 Ecsta Sport

Following on from THIS THREAD, I phoned several local tyre places for an unbiased opinion and thats exactly what I got. Mixed reviews on my shortlist, mostly around the short life of the tyres I mentioned.

To cut a long story short, the place I use all the time raved about the Kumho KU31 Ecsta Sport for their wet grip, long life and low noise. They did me a great deal and said if I genuinely wasn't impressed after they were scrubbed in they would exchange them. They were that confident in them! Result.

Anyway, fitted them to the Audi and I'm very impressed. Firstly they're very quiet, but more importantly they stick like glue in the dry and hold very well in the wet. Apparently I should see 15-20k miles out of the set which I'm more than happy with. Reading a few reviews on the net suggests lots of people raving about them.

Better still, they can be had for just over £50 in the sizes you guys run (205/45/16)

ku31.gif

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Hmm fair enough I remember buying a set of Ecsta Sports when I had my Uno Turbo and they were just shocking could spin up when it came on boost in most gears and shocking in the wet..

Never gone back to Kuhmo's since, even a van at work had them and just felt so vague in the wet (yes I know it's not the same as the sports versions)

But glad to hear they do make some decent ones then..

330i. E30 Touring.
I ended up backwards into a wall on these.

Nothing to do with the tyre though, i'm just an idiot.

They get a thumbs up from me, and as said, cheap as chips!

Clio 182 BG
the KU31 are good tyres, i´m using them on my 15" (195 /45 ) for trackdays, they are a bit slippery the first miles but if the tires are warm they are sticky.

if i compare them with the hankook v12 evo on my 16" (205 /45 ) they are much better, the hankooks are bad at wet weather and not so sticky at dry.

the only better tire at this price range ist the Hankook RS2

Picked up a screw right through the middle today...un-repairable. It's currently back at the garage getting a new one fitted after just 42 miles lol

Scattle

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan R35 GTR
I had KU31's on my old Fiesta ZS, got them for around £35 a tyre in 195/45/15 and lasted about 20k miles and as you say Dry and wet grip very good, would definitely reccomend them.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Interesting, glad you got something sorted Dan....Tyres are a funny one, i went for vredesteins on a number of the BM boys recommendation...Personally i don't like them, i find them loud, the balance is not great. But they do grip well...

BG PH1 Megane 225
I'm currently using Continental Sport Contact 3's on my 172 and need some rear tyres soonish. I'm thinking about trying some of these tyres as being a poor student I'd like to save as much money as possible :eek: how would these Kumho compare to the Continentals?

Astra coupe t, nova
I'm currently using Continental Sport Contact 3's on my 172 and need some rear tyres soonish. I'm thinking about trying some of these tyres as being a poor student I'd like to save as much money as possible :eek: how would these Kumho compare to the Continentals?
Look on pistonheads. Alot of the m3 lads seem to be going for these.

We sell a lot of these at work, the majority of people ask for them again when they come back, many of them see 20K from a set. Have to say the KH11s I had on my 1.2 were very very good in the dry, just a shame they were pants in the wet, although I think those were a cheaper variant of Kumho than the ones posted.

M2 Competition
Ive just priced these up, and only 8 quid a tyre cheaper than the Goodyear Eagle F1 assymetrics. Will stick with the Goodyears as i know theyre fantastic, and have won multiple tyre tests.

Really Dan? Cheapest I could find the Assymetrics for was £96 fitted... these were £75. The Goodyears were my first choice, but glad I gambled with the Kumho's now.

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
I have these on the Lotus after having the P6000's and the difference is day and night. Better all round espically driving in wet conditions.

An update after their first weekend of torrential rain and a roadtrip to cornwall...

They are superb in the wet... I would say they felt better than PE2s in standing water. Dry grip does the job well, havent been able to break traction yet. They've got a little louder now they've got 500 miles under them but I'm very impressed!

Scattle

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan R35 GTR
I found that aswell when I had the Kumhos, they were really great in the Wet, great tyre for the price of them!

BG PH1 Megane 225
They disappeared off Camskill and other websites for a while in the size I wanted, they've put them back on Camskill now so I've got 4 on the way to me (195/45/16) :D good to see people are impressed with them too, making me feel better about buying them now :cool: