ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

knocking on hard acceleration

Right i need you guys to clarify some things for me.

I get a knocking noise when going round corners fast, and when it looses traction (like going over a bump) intermitently. Is this due to the engine mounts?

I also get a rubbing noise when i accelerate hard in 1st and 2nd, im guessing this is down to the dog bone mount being broken/perished?

Dickie 172 Cup - Did you get your steering rack replaced? Because i had my car on the ramps the other day, and theres some play on the wheels on both sides. When we followed the vibrations of the wheels, it goes up the track rod arms, and into a rubber gaiter thats connected to the steering rack. A mechanic was saying that theres maybe a mount inside that rubber gaiter thats perishing giving the movement on the wheels...

It just want to know whats makes these noises because its horrible to drive when you want to drive it a little bit harder.

Any help would be much appreciated as otherwise im probably end up spending another £500 on parts, mounts and bushes to try and rectify the problem when theres just one simple fix!

Cheers
Nick

there's a universal joint under the steering rack boot described. if you can't find someone who can give you a firm diagnosis (not over the internet!), you're going to be best off starting with the cheap possibilities - ARB bushes, track rod ends, etc, before moving on to the more expensive stuff

Astra SRI/ Hornet
nickcup172 im with you only have slight knock from hard acceleration but loads round tight bumpy corners, was thinking strut top mounts, found them on eurocarparts for £10 each so its a cheap way to start, then its onto mounts, i have the twisted 1 on my 52 cup.

Right so far i have put on the full front end powerflex set, new lower arms and balljoints and top mounts. It has stopped the loud knocking noise/bouncing of the top mounts from hard accelerating. Fitting all the Arb bushes has stopped the knocking around corners also. (probably sorting the topmounts also helped that!)

But i still get a rubbing noise on hard accerationin 1st and sometimes 2nd. I checked my subframe for the wear marks from the lowerarms (think there was a thread about it somewhere) and theres no wear what so ever. I have inserted a largish bit of hard rubber into the left engine mount, that has stopped the engine banging on the scuttle panel area.

All ive got to do now is the track rod set and i might buy all new engine mounts and hopefully its sorted! Hope thats some help to you guys.

Nick