ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Kenny's Kup

Clio 200 CUP
The post keeped me reading its was a very good post and love what you are doing to the car wish i had the botel to rip eveything out of myn lol Nice work mate !

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
I spent ages thinking about dozens of different ideas and places to put the tank. I was nearly going to put something under the car on the opposite side from the exhaust but it was going to be a really tricky thing to make and was struggling to get 10-12ltrs, also if I needed to get to something at a race meeting it wasn't ideal.

In the end I opted for putting it in the car, on the left hand side just back from where the rear seat would have been. Bit of extra work involved putting it in the car as it needs to be firewalled but I felt this was an acceptable compromise. It holds about 22 ltrs, the swirl pot is 1.5ltrs. In theory, for short sprints and hills I'll be able to run it virtually empty, just enough to fill the swirl pot then turn the lift pump off.

I've made or at least fold up a few alloy tanks before so I had intended to do it myself and then get my mate to weld it but it meant rental on yet another gas bottle, and running a new cable from the main board to get 3phase into the workshop. By the time I weighed it all up the time could be better spent elsewhere so I decided to get someone to make it for me.

I drew it up as best I could and emailed it to them, got a call yesterday to say it was ready so that should be here on Monday or Tuesday, will make sense when you see it.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Few more wee jobs progressed today,

Offered up the harness just to double check the angle on the shoulder belts and also to sort out the anchor points for the lap belts.
The shoulder belts are at 12deg which is well within the 20deg limit. However as a result of having the seat as low and as central in the car as I could get it, I discovered a bit of an issue with the inner lap belt. If I used the existing hole in the top of the tunnel the adjuster was half way through the hole in the side of the seat - No use! Had to put another tactical "dent" in the side of the tunnel and drill a new hole for the eye bolt, ordered up some reinforcing plates which should be here tomorrow and I can get that finished.

IMGP4496.jpg

IMGP4495.jpg

IMGP4494.jpg

Since the decision had been made on the fuel tank, I figured it was as good a time as any to fill the access hole in, bit of wafer thin sheet cut into a disc and tacked on, cant believe how thin the floor is round this bit, vernier said 0.68mm!

Turned the tig down to 32A but even then it was still trying to vaporise it, did manage a few nice bits though

IMGP4498.jpg

Bit of primer

IMGP4500.jpg

I then got a phone call to say the tank had arrived :D

Very pleased with how it turned out, weighs feck all too, 3.4kgs, swirl pot is 0.6kg. The standard tank is about 8kgs plus a bit for the filler neck so 9kgs+/-
By the time I've made brackets to hold this, firewalled it etc it'll probably end up much the same but then I wasn't doing this to save weight.

IMGP4502.jpg

IMGP4504.jpg

IMGP4505.jpg

ph1 172
I have watched your project all the way through and haven't yet commented!

Your attention to detail is impressive and exactly how I would want something done. I have exactly the same cage as you being TIG welded in as we speak so am looking forward to seeing it something like yours internally:)

ph1 172
A friend of mine but really his work is amazing. He makes fuel tanks like yours and rads all the time. His business is A.S Heritage.

I have a long way to go yet so yes you're right, it takes a very long time and everything that you expect to take 5mins, just doesn't!

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
It's good if it's a mate thats doing it, I would hate to think how much it would cost if you where paying a company to Tig one of these in.
I got a mate to do mine but I still gave him some beer money for doing it, took way longer than either of us first imagined, that and the fact Custom Cages made a bit of a boob and some of the tubes where profiled wrong.
Not sure if I mentioned earlier in the thread but there where some bits he was welding left handed whilst looking in a mirror! and getting me to remote trigger the torch for him.

I'm just learning Tig, I know my limits so if it's anything that's important or needs to be neat i'll get him to do it, but there's only one way to get better and thats practice.

ph1 172
Oh there are many hours needed to complete the cage to a high standard I agree.

I used to do abit of ally TIG welding at college years ago and ever since have done none but just recently I now have a TIG welder so like yourself, I can practise and get better once again. I will hopefully be welding my exhaust which is a genuine cup racer Orbisoud that requires some fab work and also I fancy modifying it to be a repackable silencer.

Your exhaust looks very nice indeed. I did contemplate about a side exit but I, for now will be leaving the standard fuel tank in and secondly I didn't want to risk catching it badly on any high curbs at circuits.

What you are doing looks great though :)

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Oh there are many hours needed to complete the cage to a high standard I agree.

I used to do abit of ally TIG welding at college years ago and ever since have done none but just recently I now have a TIG welder so like yourself, I can practise and get better once again. I will hopefully be welding my exhaust which is a genuine cup racer Orbisoud that requires some fab work and also I fancy modifying it to be a repackable silencer.

Your exhaust looks very nice indeed. I did contemplate about a side exit but I, for now will be leaving the standard fuel tank in and secondly I didn't want to risk catching it badly on any high curbs at circuits.

What you are doing looks great though :)

Never tried welding ally, just got a DC Tig anyway so i'll be happy enough just learning that for now.

I've seen some side exit exhausts get caught on kurbs etc so that was in my mind, the edge has been trimmed off the sill and welded back up so it's tucked up as high as i can get it without really chopping into the sill but that brings issues with MSA regs for sprints/hills etc hopefully it wont get smacked! time will tell lol

M135i and the shed
I don't know how i'd missed this but just read the thread from start to finish. What a build!

The attention to detail and amount of fabrication is brilliant. When I eventually take my R26 to the next level of track modification I can only hope I can do something half as good. Thanks for sharing the build.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Made some more progress on the switch panel

I drew up the layout and emailed it to a company that does laser engraving, discussed a few options and they then sent samples of the various techniques and materials. Settled on black anodized ally with the text laser etched into the surface, looks pretty decent imho.

Built up with the various switches etc, just to see what it looked like ;)

IMGP4532.jpg

IMGP4536.jpg

Offered up to the rest of the panel

IMGP4539.jpg

Took a fair few hours to finish making the rest of the bits that make up the surround for the panel, was being mega careful not to drop or scratch the panel! although the anodized surface does seem pretty tough so should last well

IMGP4543.jpg

I'm going to strip it all down again, round off the edges etc and then paint all the alloy bits satin matt black, tested it on a bit of scrap and it's a fairly close match to the anodized finish

IMGP4544.jpg

IMGP4545.jpg

Time for a cold beer!

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Kenny whats the estimated completion date for the project?

I've honestly got no idea, so much of it just depends on work commitments and when I get time to work on it. Sometimes I can get a few weeks where I make good progress then a month where virtually nothing happens.
I would "like" to have it ready for next season, so ideally finished and doing shake downs by March, i'll know better towards the end of the year if thats going to be feasible

super attention to detail as always...

Cheers!

The steel plates for the strut towers arrived this morning, cut out on a waterjet. All i had to do was drill out the 4 holes in the lower plates from 6 to 6.8mm, and tap them out to M8, ignore the mishmash of bolts, just what I had kicking about.

Sat in position, marked out the radius on the corners etc

IMGP4553.jpg

Trimmed to fit

IMGP4554.jpg

The range of adjustment is way more than I'm likely to need but figured that was preferable to not enough. The reason for having the 2 axis adjustment was to avoid the need for camber bolts so should be less susceptible to moving.

Something around stock castor, probably positive camber
IMGP4560.jpg

Stock castor, lots of negative camber
IMGP4561.jpg

Full castor positon, positive camber
IMGP4563.jpg

Full castor and lots of negative camber
IMGP4562.jpg

I'm going to borrow a camber/castor gauge to get some proper figures on what the adjustment range is but pretty sure it'll cover all eventualities

Once i'm happy everything is ok, the next step is to put a rear axle back on it and lower it down to the approximate ride height, then measure up for the front struts, order the cases and then get on with fabricating the mounting lugs etc.

I'm going to borrow a camber/castor gauge to get some proper figures on what the adjustment range is but pretty sure it'll cover all eventualities
Looks awesome mate love it all :) Have you got someone you can borrow one from? If not then I have one so can always post up if required just let me know :)

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Cheers guys,

Yeah, a friend of my old man has one so I'll go borrow that next week, but very kind of you to offer. It's one of the things I'll need to buy eventually mind you.

Clio 172
Holy cow those strut top mounts look amazing. Its not even something I'd be able to sketch let alone do a scematic for someone to waterjet out so it was of practical use.

05 Clio 182 cup
Hi kenny found this and new instant that it was the man from rue I fitted the solar panels on barn your workshop is in ! Only got to see this car for two days now it looks like I'll get to see it finished ! Will be following this never thought I would get to see this wee car again ........ I ended up buying an rb 182 cup hence why I'm on here ..Really impressed with what you have done since I saw the car Cheers Bryan

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
I see. I just finished a 10 month draft to heavy L. Just reading your text, a lot of jackspeak in it lol

The project is mighty impressive! Some lovely fabrication!

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
I worked in there for about 5 years so I guess some of it has probably stuck, never really noticed, what have you spotted lol

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
hey mate,
coming along very very nicely, genuinely so jealous of your fabrication, especially after trying to give it a go myself, Some truly unique ideas and parts going on/ being fabricated. The switch panel is beautiful and the strut tops a work of art. Can i ask what your thoughts are with the diffuser? You may know i was looking at a diffuser set-up but unsure what / how yet, send it over pm if you like.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Hi kenny found this and new instant that it was the man from rue I fitted the solar panels on barn your workshop is in ! Only got to see this car for two days now it looks like I'll get to see it finished ! Will be following this never thought I would get to see this wee car again ........ I ended up buying an rb 182 cup hence why I'm on here ..Really impressed with what you have done since I saw the car Cheers Bryan

Hey Bryan, appologies but I'm struggling to remember who was who lol, where you running about in your girlfriends car when your where at the farm?
Panels are doing pretty well, especially the past week or so.

05 Clio 182 cup
Hep used to have an rb5 subaru but some idiot killed it for me ...so had the pleasure of driving a bug cabriolet for a while!!!!! Am actually really looking forward to see this come together ....glad to see you got a bit faster mind you the two days I was at the farm I think all you done was the mounts for the coolant tank lol