ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Keep Losing the back end

Clio 172 sport
My car slid out twice last night but i managed to control it both times,

damn these cars are lethal in the wet, i think that i need new tyres.

clio 182 & Fiesta RSTurbo
or lift of oversteer, - and not knowing what it is
+1 lol

+2

Gotta know when to stop hammering your clio and in the pouring rain is one of them, just last week i was on my way to liverpool drivin up the A500 in stoke-on-trent.
Some t**t in a white van no lights, no indicator just pulls out on me, there was that much spray i couldn't judge if he was goin round the bend or overtakin as i hit the brakes to slow down i aquaplaned like a b*****d.

Fortunately for me i gained control, the same can't be said for the driver behind who proceeded to spin 360 in the dual carriageway and crash into the barrier writing his cooper s off.

M2 Competition
Lol at this thread.

Learning how to drive and control your car, taking into account the conditions, is a better bet than all of the above.

320d
Tyre pressures .. ?

If one is low/flat, that can lead to some comedy handling !

Tyres to hard would be worse i'd of thought.

Tbh driving quick in the rain is a no go for me, obviously a 172 handles better than mine but in the wet no car will handle as it does in the dry.

Just best to take it easy, you don't lose the back end for nothing, its either crap tyres, a problem with suspension but usually driver error. also got to watch out for greasy roads with oil etc but providing you drive within speed limits and slow down approprately for bends there shoudlnt be a problem.

Clio 182 Cup
Wet conditions arnt so much of a problem as long as you know how to handle it! although a mistake in the wet is punished so much more than in the dry!!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
its deffo the rear dampers, they handle brilliant in the wet with decent tyres and decent rear dampers.

its a common fault, mine stepped out on a roundabout at 20mph when it was dry but greazy thats when i knew they were gone, look under the back of the car and you will see oil on them.

only £40 per side though or there abouts from renault

alien green rs133
my 1.2 has a gas tank for my lpg conversion in the boot, and in the wet it still grips like mad, road tested a few sports, after services and such like at work, and they twitchy as heck on rear. bigger engine must disturb wieght distribution
even our standard 1.2 courtesy cars handle better!!!

skuze spellin lyk :D

hutchie

tiTTy & SV650
MIchelins and knowing when not to lift off ftw, I loved my leaking rear shocks was awesome fun

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
my 1.2 has a gas tank for my lpg conversion in the boot, and in the wet it still grips like mad, road tested a few sports, after services and such like at work, and they twitchy as heck on rear. bigger engine must disturb wieght distribution
even our standard 1.2 courtesy cars handle better!!!

skuze spellin lyk :D

hutchie

Surely it isn't financially viable to convert a 1.2 Clio to run on LPG?

I don't know how you can say that a standard Clio with standard suspension handles better than a Clio Sport.

Clio 172 sport
I checked my tyre pressures last night and one was low oin air, 21psi....

so that must have been the problem. I have lost the back end 3 times in total but have managed to control it everytime.

The other time i was showing off to some friends and there was a slight hump around a corner and the rear of the car lifted slightly which caused it to slide.

I have a 172 ph1 and sliding seems quite controllable, im impressed. I took it to an airfield on sat, was playing about and had a great time drifting.

I was thinking about taking the tyre out of the boot to lose some weight but im quite scared due to the past experiences that i have had..

will it make much difference? I suppose its dependent on how you drive the car lol

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Tyre pressures .. ?

If one is low/flat, that can lead to some comedy handling !
10 points for the best user name :approve:

So .. 10 points for the best user name ..

so that must have been the problem. I have lost the back end 3 times in total but have managed to control it everytime.

how many bonus points for potentially sourcing the problem too ? heh !

:cool:

Suzuki Swift Sport

The other time i was showing off to some friends and there was a slight hump around a corner and the rear of the car lifted slightly which caused it to slide.

I have a 172 ph1 and sliding seems quite controllable, im impressed. I took it to an airfield on sat, was playing about and had a great time drifting.

I was thinking about taking the tyre out of the boot to lose some weight but im quite scared due to the past experiences that i have had..

will it make much difference? I suppose its dependent on how you drive the car lol

Which tyre had low pressure? lower pressures usually give you more grip to a point! if the front were lower than the back this could cause the back end to be more lively.

PH2 172
Iv lost the back end twice on round abouts in the wet only going about 15mph the tyre pressures are fine and the shocks are fine as iv just had the MOT done last week so i am not sure what it is but when im going into a corner in the dry aswell you feel the back end trying to slide out The only thing i can think it is. Is iv got nankangs on the back but have loads of tread on there as again just had the MOT done anyone know what it could be?