ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

KAM Racing - go silly or dont bother project build

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
If room allows, maybe a small diameter ducting could be directed toward the bearing? Or depending on placement of everything else in the ‘bay fabricate a slimline duct/tunnel that could mount underneath the radiator facing forward taking air straight from under the bumper to the bearing. Won’t take a lot of airflow to keep it under the maximum working temp, even if it’s a few degrees under its max. as long as it doesn’t reach said max. temp “should” be ok..
I think reducing contact area and having an “air gap” at the mounting point will probably achieve what you want. Suppose you won’t truly know until you try.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
We are well into unchartered waters and theres nothing to really compare to. I'll have a duct of some sort coming into this area as its also worth keeping wategates cool for longevity. The aluminium will work well as a heat sink and I'll make a removable heatshield round the bearings out of something fancy like whats used on turbo jackets. There will be a way!

I think ducting out the enginebay will also be quite key. Good thing is the Turbo will be way out of the way so its only the manifold that will be the issue.

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
I remember from my younger years racing electric rc cars. We had heat sinks on the motors, alloy with an array of fins -the fins created plenty of surface area for cooling. Possible you could make something similar to sit around the bearing casing using its mounting points

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
I like your thinking, mainly because it matches mine though I was thinking computer processors!
I thought about making the whole mount surface like that but went solid in the end due to the machining costs. We'll test the temperatures everything gets to and see if its enough. We have a backing plate for this to attach to and theres a few options with thermal barriers we can probably use as well.

406 V6, Race Buggy
RAM heatsinks are usually small enough to fit in odd places - I always use them on ignition coils to give them a bit more cooling in race conditions.

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
I like your thinking, mainly because it matches mine though I was thinking computer processors!
I thought about making the whole mount surface like that but went solid in the end due to the machining costs. We'll test the temperatures everything gets to and see if its enough. We have a backing plate for this to attach to and theres a few options with thermal barriers we can probably use as well.
Could sandwich the plates with a ptfe gasket like we do on the clios inlet manifold

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Could sandwich the plates with a ptfe gasket like we do on the clios inlet manifold
If we need to we can use titanium plates as they can be machined super thin and possibly will be needed anyway to get the driveshaft angle perfect and align this mount with the gearbox accurately.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Probably not. I've designed a few bits like where to put a turbo, chargecooler and other bits to fit in the tight space but it now needs me to do some welding and fitting of all the suspension.
What I lack is time as I'm always working to make sure the business runs as it should.

So I have bought myself a Clio 182 Trophy so I remember what a fun car is.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Probably not. I've designed a few bits like where to put a turbo, chargecooler and other bits to fit in the tight space but it now needs me to do some welding and fitting of all the suspension.
What I lack is time as I'm always working to make sure the business runs as it should.

So I have bought myself a Clio 182 Trophy so I remember what a fun car is.

Time is hard to come by, especially running your own business lol. Least you have a fun car now 👍🏻

Has Cameron packed up completely?

I Need some front strut towers cutting, welding and modifying

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Covid got in the way so the project stalled massively.
We are thinking about this again. I'm contemplating making it a bit easier with a move to normally aspirated but this lends another issue as the rotary then lacks power. We'd potentially be better with a K24 race engine pumping 350bhp. It would be simpler to fit and require less custom parts to be made. I like the idea of buying a crate engine that works out the box.
I need to find a local company that can take a build and evaluate where its currently at, then work out the best route forward; but I'm going to finish a couple of easier projects over this summer.