ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

KAM Racing - go silly or dont bother project build

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Spoilsports.

Indeed! It would put me in the second from top tier which may be a little too much for me - as well as the cost of one!. I've not raced Karts in nearly 7 years now and never raced a proper car so starting as low as possible seems the best option. The Spoox K20 Turbo 205 is in the club classic and been winning that class for 3 years now. He needs a proper challenge. Its a well developed car with easily 350bhp and always gets a good few updates each winter.

406 V6, Race Buggy
If it's just a gearkit you'll be okay, it's their sequentials and diffs that are a bit clunky.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Some people tackle their brake solution by fitting the biggest set of discs and calipers they can under the wheels. I'm trying to fit the biggest I need. This will allow the suspension to work more efficiently due to the low unsprung weight.
I decided a 280mm disc would be about right. You can just about squeeze a 305mm disc under 15's with the right wheel but thats far too big for a lightweight car...
I've gambled on an AP Racing disc with reduced cooling vanes and reduced thickness. Hopefully this will prove adequate when we get to a testing stage as we are aiming for a car massively lighter than standard.

So to put the weights in perspective. Your Clio average Clio 172 runs a 280 x 24mm disc. Originally came in just over a tonne in weight. Hard core racers may get to 850kg. I should (fingers crossed) be 100kg lighter still and running much larger pads than the original calipers too.
The fat shaming scales say...14.95kg for a set
WhatsApp Image 2018-06-27 at 17.42.22.jpeg

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
As I write this I've realised I actually changed my mind on the discs lol. The 25mm discs were only a little heavier and would cope with more sustained abuse.
We've had the bells made and the resulting weight is 3.1 kg per side! I think a few more holes could be drilled to get it to 3kg per side lol Standard 247mm disc from a 1.9 gti is 4.3kg and these are 4.4kg per side lighter than those Clio discs. This is a performance upgrade with no penalty (other than the wallet).
36232394_10160427152305231_9199642729091432448_n (1).jpg

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Some people tackle their brake solution by fitting the biggest set of discs and calipers they can under the wheels. I'm trying to fit the biggest I need. This will allow the suspension to work more efficiently due to the low unsprung weight.
I decided a 280mm disc would be about right. You can just about squeeze a 305mm disc under 15's with the right wheel but thats far too big for a lightweight car...
I've gambled on an AP Racing disc with reduced cooling vanes and reduced thickness. Hopefully this will prove adequate when we get to a testing stage as we are aiming for a car massively lighter than standard.

So to put the weights in perspective. Your Clio average Clio 172 runs a 280 x 24mm disc. Originally came in just over a tonne in weight. Hard core racers may get to 850kg. I should (fingers crossed) be 100kg lighter still and running much larger pads than the original calipers too.
The fat shaming scales say...14.95kg for a set
View attachment 1372321

GSF supplied discs I see ?

The unsprung weight is important and you'll gain with the calipers too, but the rotational inertia of the disks under both acceleration and braking is a substantional gain too!

Bigger pads should give better heat handing ability, but wont actually affect your braking power.

406 V6, Race Buggy
GSF do some epic deals sometimes if you get the right person when you phone*, but most of the time their prices for discs and pads are meh.

*I just got a valeo clutch for the V6 from them for £50 delivered 'cause it was old stock...

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
The unsprung weight is important and you'll gain with the calipers too, but the rotational inertia of the disks under both acceleration and braking is a substantional gain too!

Bigger pads should give better heat handing ability, but wont actually affect your braking power.

I'll be running Alcon 4 pots. They dont use a massive pad but its a fairly decent size and the calipers a nice weight. Brakes are pretty much only about heat really long as its up to the job of applying enough hydraulic pressure to maximise the tyre/ground friction co-efficient.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Its been a while. A busy summer has taken the pot off the boil a bit. We are on final assembly of the front subframe, suspension and a custom engine sump. I collect the shell end of the month so we can move onto the next phase!

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
nothing too serious. An EFR8374 EWG turbo and a bridgeported block because bwap bwap and flames are fun. (not to mention the rapid spool up)
External wastegates will give the flexibility to run different boost levels for wet and dry weather. I would have loved to build a normally aspirated engine for its simplicity but realistically if you've not got north of 300bhp you are not going to be on the podium.

Attachments

• 40072014_154009365528322_5104120894256423797_n.jpg
    40072014_154009365528322_5104120894256423797_n.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 243

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
At the moment progress is frustrating. The puzzle to solve is where to put an intermediate driveshaft bearing.
Theres a couple of options - this being the easiest to make as it will not involve welding onto the cast alloy engine front casing.

Attachments

• 46507281_1097480390412313_7100449945315966976_n.jpg
    46507281_1097480390412313_7100449945315966976_n.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 192

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
The dilema is this puts the shaft bearing about 100mm away from the inboard plunge joint. I don't know whether this is a bad thing or not.
I'm waiting for more clever people to tell me whats what before doing a test on manifold clearance as it'll be tight.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
I’ve seen this car in September at Cameron’s unit. I was truly amazed by Cams fabricating skills. I bought Cam’s Clio 172 cup off him.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
I’ve seen this car in September at Cameron’s unit. I was truly amazed by Cams fabricating skills. I bought Cam’s Clio 172 cup off him.

You got a great car there! I don't think I could have picked anyone better for the job. Its a pity he can't really work on the project anymore (other than the driveshaft issue) its going to be a case of bolting on parts and mostly basic welding / fab work.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
You got a great car there! I don't think I could have picked anyone better for the job. Its a pity he can't really work on the project anymore (other than the driveshaft issue) its going to be a case of bolting on parts and mostly basic welding / fab work.

Yea I think I have bought a good un. The cars had a few little niggles but easily resolved. I’ll be touch with you in the new year to buy a big list of things for her so don’t forget who I am. Lol.

It’s a shame Cam has gone PAYE. He was an absolute gent when I met him. Whoever’s employing him is a very lucky employer.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
He's still on board briefly to design some final critical parts. Once he's settled though Saloonlibre Shed Industries will come about for sure. Smaller scale and manageable costs :D

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Slow updates...
We are going with the bearing housing in between the exhaust manifolds. Its drastically better for driveshaft angles.

What do you do when a high temperature bearing is not high temperature enough! Apparently they are only rated to 130degrees centigrade so I'd call that a mildly warm bearing.
Cameron came up with an idea to run the bearing on a bridge between the inlet manifold and sump. Now we originally said no to this a while back due to the amount of strengthing needed for the sump and the high risk of a big mess if there was driveline issue which ripped the sump open.

I dont like it
A: Because i'm in the process of getting a sump made in the USA,
B: its complicated, needs a lot of extra custom components and
C: its not very elegant.

So while helping my daughter do her homework I brainstormed increasing surface area of the housing, decreasing contact area against the engine and then hopefully the route we will take....
WhatsApp Image 2018-12-03 at 11.30.45.jpeg

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Yes and no. The project had to take a backburner a little as I'm too busy with the day to day workload. This means we wont be doing a full season of Time Attack this year as I cant get it ready. I have some custom bits being made in America and some more in China so its a little bit of a waiting game until those are done.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Theres always a balance to be found from the initial design to something that can be affordably manufactured. I wanted the water cooling between the bearing and the engine but the inlet manifold above was so close we'd have fitment issues. The alloy hopefully will stay cool enough though that it wont matter. As long as a bearing lasts an event we will be ok!