ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just bought this am abit weary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Clio 172
Hi just bought this on ebay. :( Not sure if it was a mistake but if the car is not up to scratch i'll just contact ebay and lodge a complaint due tot he lack of info.:rasp:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=130317754708

Bargain if everythings ok but Like i said im weary as it was cheap and there is no history :dead: Is there a way to check the belts? What should i look for when test driving etc? What are comman faults on these?

Am thinking ill just get the belts done asap aswell as a full service and start my own history for it.

Pics seem pretty poor and description is brief but for a tax & tested 172 with 72k on a 53 plate i think its reasonable even without belts.

Have just done a quick hpi on it and its not CAT listed, no finance, no plate changes and mileage collates with the DVLA's records :approve::cool: So far so good.

All opinions and help welcomed. Cheers Guys. Ben.

looks like its been in a crash and repaired... why else would you get rid of the Xenon lights and replace with Halogens?

it's also possibly the worst advert for a car i've seen, I would have gone nowhere near it personally.

Front bumper has been resprayed at some point in its life.

The guy's also selling a suspect looking Skyline.

Renault Clio RS 182
Yea not the best advert iv ever seen, not many details, which makes me wary.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Where in Bristol is it? If your miles away I could pop round, if its local to me.

Bus w**ker
FLOL

You've bid on and won a car that you've not been to see nor HPI'd in advance and now you're worrying? Driving the car home isn't a test drive btw.

Hopefully you haven't bought a lemon.

PS 200
(p.s dont know the date of first registration so just put any day and any month in) - This in itself should warn you to steer clear.

Date on ad 01/Jan/2003

53 Plate

FAIL :)

looks like a few dents in the bonnet too...

Soooo, with all these positive things pointed out (only judging by the poor photos supplied) I'm sure you've bought a cracker of a car :D

clio 172 exclusive
it does look a little suspect ... but if its not to far go and have a look ,if you dont it will be on your mind for a while "should i have gone to see or not" if you dont like what you see walk away saying its not as described

Turbos.
I just guess its been damaged and repaired by a previous owner. This isn't neccessarily bad news, because it could mean the damage wasn't bad enough to warrant claiming on the insurance. Surely halogens are a ball ache to fit when there are the xenon ancillaries though?

If it were a cut and shut with a copied plate, surely eBay would frown upon something like that being sold?

I would get the VIN and check it with a Renault dealer. Also, you might get some service history back by checking a few dealer chains too.

To be honest though, if you run it into the ground, who cares? As long as it works...

Breaking mk2 DCI
i bought mine and its a shed but alteast i knew it and paid just 1700 quid for it, 2250 then to spend 300 quid at least doing belts plus the other faults you'll find (trust me theres always a few (ive had a stub axle i didnt expect) with ebay only bid without viewing if your certain the car is genuine, ive bought 4 vehicles on the bay and one was a complete shambles and when selling 2 buyers let me down

It's A Reno
Doesn't look like there's an aerial.
What's going on with the rear wiper?
Sport badge on the wrong side.
What's wrong with the drivers side of the car?
The headlights.
Theres lots of reasons to avoid this one, but I'd go for a look first for a laugh.

182 (Conversion)
Hmm I've just bought a Cat C from ebay without seeing it. Against all my own advice too.

Although I did have several long phone conversations with him and even had to get him to sell after he changed his mind.

Turns out I got a peach but it's really worrying, at least the guy I got mine from put my mind at ease, and his ebay history had a load of the parts on the car in etc.

I'd turn up and look at it, if it's a shitter just walk away.

Insignia for sale
Generally I go with my feelings when buying a car.
If you have a hunch that a car is a nail, (which you clearly do) just leave it well alone. Basics when buying a car, LOOK at it first, in person and not online, and at least HPI it.
Good luck though, I hope it is as honest as you hope and its just a poorly written advert.

500 Twinair
Its all well getting a 1*2 on the cheap, but its got to be better to spend a little more to get a mint example and a peace of mind?

Fabia VRS Special Ed
Go and have a look at it mate, even get out the RAC or AA to do a full check on it if you can't spot any problems, worth paying that than buying it and finding out theres a problem the hard way. You never know, it could be alright.

Clio 172
How can you tell its halogens? Take it these are poo? Are they off just a standard clio? Been trying to get intouch with the guy and heard nothing. So probs not even selling it? Ive asked for the vin number and if he has the V5 etc. Did a hpi and it came back ok.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
How can you tell its halogens? Take it these are poo? Are they off just a standard clio? Been trying to get intouch with the guy and heard nothing. So probs not even selling it? Ive asked for the vin number and if he has the V5 etc. Did a hpi and it came back ok.

Ben- I did keep in touch & Say you should have bought through me-

What I would say is the comments in this thread are correct-
the car may be an 'unrecorded' loss-

A lot of 'rogue' ( SOME GENUNINE) traders go to bodyshops & places to buy cars that have been in accidents but not declared through the salvage process, they then repair the cars at cost price, generally not paying for the correct materials & non OEM parts then selling them on-

Headlights on a 172 are a typical example whereby the Xenon lights have been replaced with a cheaper low spec part-
there is NO possible reason for these lights to be changed other than an accident on the front end....

Also I think you commented on no service History & no cambelt-
That alone is around £700 to start with- A big cost....

If you worried of have any concerns obviously stay on here, take the advice that Daniel gives or alternativly PM me with any concerns you have....

Steve

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
p.s dont know the date of first registration

So does he not have the V5?

I also dont know if people know this- maybe a heads up for someone-
If you have an Ebay account you can list a car for sale then tap the reg in on ebay & in the ebay catalogue it will tell you how many owners & the date of registration....
You would assume that someone has the V5, but perhaps they dont know that information is on there-

Its always my FREE starting point for information on a car....

S

Clio 172
Bonnet looks ok to me. Rear wiper could have just been on when he turned the engine off? Ive got plenty of aerials. How much is it for the RAC/AA to come out and check it? My best mate is going to do the cambelt for me.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Go and have a look at it mate, even get out the RAC or AA to do a full check on it if you can't spot any problems, worth paying that than buying it and finding out theres a problem the hard way. You never know, it could be alright.

If you did this to a car I sold you through ebay i'd thump you.

You bought the car. End of.

You haven't won a right to come and look at it. You should have thought of that before you hit the bid button.

Ben, if you want me to have a look i'm relatively free this afternoon. Need a post code though.

Clio 172
Cheers matey but he hasnt got back to me yet. Ill let you know as soon as i hear something. Ive sent him 3 messages now.

Im going to ask him about the lights aswell. On the HPI report it said he has owned it since June 2008.

And anyone can tell the difference between xenons once they are on. So he should have listed this in his advert. If he tries to fob me off with excuses ill just report him to ebay.

Daniel I'll pm you my number now in case you get busy or your not online so you can let me know. Thanks again guys!!

Mini Cooper S
Cheers matey but he hasnt got back to me yet. Ill let you know as soon as i hear something. Ive sent him 3 messages now.

Im going to ask him about the lights aswell. On the HPI report it said he has owned it since June 2008.

And anyone can tell the difference between xenons once they are on. So he should have listed this in his advert. If he tries to fob me off with excuses ill just report him to ebay.

Daniel I'll pm you my number now in case you get busy or your not online so you can let me know. Thanks again guys!!

He hasn't lied in the advert so how can you report him?

I'd just walk away, why buy a performance car with no history?

PS 200
Don't know that the ad is mis leading.

He's hardly written anything.

He's even said he's no idea when it was registered.

Status
Not open for further replies.