ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

James' 172 Cup Project

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
So the Cup failed the re-test:disappointed:
Apparently the n/s caliper is now showing almost no effort whatsoever, still causing an imbalance. One thing I didn't check was the rear compensator, will have a look tomorrow to see if that can solve the situation, maybe there is no fluid getting to the caliper.

What a few days I've had on it. To sum up - 'whatever can go wrong,will go wrong'.

1. As above - had a nightmare getting off and replacing the o/s rear disc
2. As above - had a nightmare removing studs from old rear discs, rounded 3/8
3. Had a nightmare undoing the n/s disc retainers- two T40 heads snapped in the process
4. Had a nightmare removing o/s track rod end, the thread completely seized into the strut

Loving life

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
Boom
Screenshot 2017-12-28 16.08.25.png

The little Clio has cost me a fair few hours of pain and misery over Christmas, but I believe I've saved at least £200 doing it myself, so happy days.

Scrap it or sell it to me haha keep it up mate. You're so close to getting it sorted :smile:

Now it's got a full MOT the price has trebled I'm afraid, yours now for £150

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Few things to update on this one!
So firstly, the Clio got annihilated on its MOT on Thursday :pensive:
Thankfully, a fair few of the failures can be fixed a new set of discs and pads all round. But due to funds it's going to take a while, and with MOT garages closing up for holidays, it likely means I'm going to be car-less over xmas :confused:

Cracked on with replacing rear brakes, brand new OEM Brembo pads and discs - would have preferred to go uprated but just can't afford it sadly.
View attachment 1350059

Of course, something always crops up on even the easier jobs, for some inexplicable reason the old O/S rear disc WOULD NOT budge, took a fair bit of hammering to get off, and even worse - the new disc was 10x more difficult to get back on - for some reason the bearing would just not fit around the axle stub. It was like it's expanded over time or something, wtf :expressionless:. Got there eventually with a LOT more hammering (chock of wood and a cloth over the hub to protect it). So weird as the old N/S disc came straight off, and the new one slid straight on. Cannot explain it.

Also managed to round off 3/8 of my studs trying to remove them from the old discs.. fml another expense I could do without!

View attachment 1350060
Hopefully the new rear brakes will sort my MOT issues. (Imbalanced brakes, binding one side and no effort from the other).

In other news, Thanks so much to @GrahamS for turning off my airbag light, even after me bombarding you with emails and texts this last week or so!
Super friendly and helpful guy, would recommend 110%. Cheers @dann2707 for the heads-up.

Fitted a temporary horn button above the steering wheel, looks daft but only done for MOT purposes - I'm used to living without one now. Also fitted a new metal cover to the clutch pedal as the other one had half snapped off somehow and looked really untidy, happy with how the interior looks now.
View attachment 1350061

Front discs and pads next :up: Will hopefully update soon!
Cheers for reading, James
Thanks James :) Glad we got to the bottom of it as I was totally boggled for a bit! Car looks like a lovely example.

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Congratulations on the MOT pass, always good to get it done every year, shame yours is so close to Christmas, never the best time of year :up:

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
That's great, got there in the end!!

Thanks James :smile: Glad we got to the bottom of it as I was totally boggled for a bit! Car looks like a lovely example.

Congratulations on the MOT pass, always good to get it done every year, shame yours is so close to Christmas, never the best time of year :up:

Thanks guys, now I can focus on some modifications, soon enough!

Definite requirements...

-Stealth Exhaust
-Rear ARB
-Powerflex front ARB bushes

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
Looks good, what model are the speakers? Anything else needed to fit them? Have been looking at speakers just couldn't decide which to go for
SXE-1325S
Straight fit, plug and play, literally took 2 minutes to do both sides. £30 brand new off Amazon, not a huge difference, but for that price you can't go wrong really! Thinking off sound deadening some of the car now, especially the rear just to lose some road noise.

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
SXE-1325S
Straight fit, plug and play, literally took 2 minutes to do both sides. £30 brand new off Amazon, not a huge difference, but for that price you can't go wrong really! Thinking off sound deadening some of the car now, especially the rear just to lose some road noise.

Much appreciated, will have a look at them, have you got full interior in the rear still?

That's a great upgrade doing the speakers and they sound a good buy for that money! Anything over standard is an improvement but in the standard positions and oem is the way :up:

I went with Audison 225w components (with separate tweeters) in the front of mine and then just Hertz Hi-Energy 140w co-axials in the back. Sounds good! Got a Skinz kit in both doors tho, sound proofing which I thought 'why not!' 😂

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
That's a great upgrade doing the speakers and they sound a good buy for that money! Anything over standard is an improvement but in the standard positions and oem is the way :up:

I went with Audison 225w components (with separate tweeters) in the front of mine and then just Hertz Hi-Energy 140w co-axials in the back. Sounds good! Got a Skinz kit in both doors tho, sound proofing which I thought 'why not!' 😂

Yep I was looking for some that would just plug in didn't require any modification, happy with the results!
Does the sound deadening make much of a difference, and is it heavy?
Wow Audison is pretty expensive stuff. But with car audio, I guess you get what you pay for!

I'm not sure if it does make that much difference to be honest! I mean the audio sounds great and it wasn't a massive ££ extra compared to the cost of the system to have done so i'm still glad I got it done

2004 Racing Blue 182
Love a good 172 Cup. I genuinely think the value of good ones is only gonna go one way in the future [emoji1312]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
Couple of updates to keep the thread going.

Took probably my favourite ever photo of the Cup not long ago. Forgot to add it to here.
IMG_0386.jpg

This one's from a while ago, @dann2707 & @Coops Mk1 bleeding the brakes whilst I...erm..
IMG_0375.jpg

@dann2707 also came around last week to help replace the the rear Stub Axle which had somehow bent, knackering the bearing and causing the disc to sit at a slight angle, causing the rear pads to bind every time it rained. Cheers dude!

Took the Cup out to Carsington Water near Matlock for a blast with my friend and his M135i. Damn that's a stupidly quick car, left me for dead down the straights (3.0L Twin Turbo, not surprising haha) but the Clio held it's own when it came to the twisties. Hopefully the link below works.

Took me a while, but finally realised the tinted yellow fogs looked properly tacky, so off that came. Cleans up the front.
IMG_0820.JPG

Finally, fitted some brand new genuine Cup shocks this morning, to replace the V-maxx ones. No photos as it was miserable weather!
The O/S V-Maxx shock was knocking terribly, despite no signs of leakage. They're only a year old so that's slightly disappointing. Thankfully the new shocks have sorted the issue. The car's actually riding better than ever before now!

A couple more photos...
IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0769.JPG

That's all for now, thanks for reading!!
James

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
Finally happy with how this thing rides and drives. At long last I've eliminated all knocking and rattling noises by installing the new rear dampers and lowering the exhaust down a few mm using a couple of washers. Went out for a drive on Wednesday with my mate and his new toy.
IMG_0852.JPG

They're quite evenly matched to be fair!

With the sun shining yesterday, and not too much else to do on the car, I got around to sorting out the 'sticky' door handles which are a common problem it seems these days. A bottle of oven cleaner spray, a couple of scouring pads, some plastic trim renovator and a bit of elbow grease later...
Photo 20-04-2018, 11 19 59.jpg

Now completely smooth and shiny, makes quite a difference! Happy days.

Fast forward to yesterday evening, I thought I'd take a steady cruise to the pub in the Clio and enjoy the sunny evening... but no.
I was greeted with a misfire about 10 seconds after pulling off. Basically no power and struggling to idle. Plugged in the diagnostic reader and as expected, injector 4 is apparently knackered. Confirmed this by removing said injector and restarting the engine, no change to the idle, so therefore proving injector 4 is the culprit.

Absolutely pissed off considering I'd spent all day cleaning and polishing some stupid door handles just for this too happen, What a joke!

Ordered a new one from ECP with same day delivery, so will update later tonight as long as it arrives on time!

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Glad you've sorted it mate but you've got to remember the car is what, 16 years old. For it to have just a very simple issue of am injector going is a hugely small inconvenience. Other cars this age have horrendous issues in comparison, rust being one of them so I don't think it's too bad at all.

Nice to see you at the pub the other day, I was so so tempted to grab your chair back from beneath you hahaha.