ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

James' 172 Cup Project

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Nice to meet you today chap, car looks good and nice to see it being used.
Give me a shout if you get stuck with anything, I've got loads of experience and more importantly loads of spares!

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
Just thought I'd keep this thread updated with a recent photo.
Photo 09-10-2017, 12 47 09.jpg

Got a few annoying issues appearing as expected with french motors...

Firstly an ever-increasing knocking noise/rattle from the rear, had a quick look underneath but no idea what's going wrong.
Secondly it started cutting out on me in heavy traffic a couple of days back, assuming loose connection somewhere. Hasn't done it since though thankfully.
Thirdly got a creaking noise coming from the handbrake cable - when it's OFF. Wtf is happening there only god knows.

So yeah, it's going to cost me some £££ over the next couple of weeks it seems! Happy days!

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
Rear wheels need swapping side to side matey as the tyres are directional and pointing the wrong way
Yes mate noticed that myself the day after uploading... still great spot, don't know how you noticed that from those photos!

Gave the Cup it's first detail yesterday, I'm no professional (not even an enthusiast if I'm honest) but I think it's come out pretty well.

Photo's don't really do it justice unfortunately.
Paintwork polished and sealed.
Photo 15-10-2017, 11 10 54.jpg

Hoovered out, interior wiped down and seats & carpets washed.
Photo 15-10-2017, 11 10 04.jpg

Wheels sealed and tyre shined applied, massive difference!

Photo 15-10-2017, 11 09 37.jpg

Thanks for reading!

James

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
Couple of updates to share with you all.
First of all, filled in the gap on my Sparco wheel with a horn. No idea how to wire it up but at least it looks far better.
Excuse the mess, missed out on it's weekly clean over the weekend unfortunately!
spparco.jpg

Also finally fitted a KTEC induction, what a huge transformation it makes in noise! It finishes off the engine bay nicely.
ktec.jpg

Also had some brand new Rainsport 3's fitted to the Turini's, didn't necessarily need new tyres but wanted to be safe rather than sorry this winter. I'm using it as a daily so I want to be able to enjoy it rain or shine.

That's all for now. James

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Used to be my go to combo when I first started getting into the detailing malarky.

Been through quite a few different ones since, but proof is in the pudding that the old stuff is still very good. :)

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
Busy Saturday morning
Fitted Battery Cover as recommended by @182_steve . Looks far better, just need an fusebox one now.
Also fitted Powerflex upper engine mount along with a Evol Engineering dogbone lower mount.
Photo 28-10-2017, 14 35 19.jpg

First impressions...wow. What a difference! Whole car feels a lot tighter now, particularly the gear changes are so much slicker. Vibrations have increased a lot, however I'm hoping these may die down over the next few days as the bushes bed in.

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
Few things to update on this one!
So firstly, the Clio got annihilated on its MOT on Thursday :pensive:
Thankfully, a fair few of the failures can be fixed a new set of discs and pads all round. But due to funds it's going to take a while, and with MOT garages closing up for holidays, it likely means I'm going to be car-less over xmas :confused:

Cracked on with replacing rear brakes, brand new OEM Brembo pads and discs - would have preferred to go uprated but just can't afford it sadly.
Photo 22-12-2017, 11 23 55.jpg

Of course, something always crops up on even the easier jobs, for some inexplicable reason the old O/S rear disc WOULD NOT budge, took a fair bit of hammering to get off, and even worse - the new disc was 10x more difficult to get back on - for some reason the bearing would just not fit around the axle stub. It was like it's expanded over time or something, wtf :expressionless:. Got there eventually with a LOT more hammering (chock of wood and a cloth over the hub to protect it). So weird as the old N/S disc came straight off, and the new one slid straight on. Cannot explain it.

Also managed to round off 3/8 of my studs trying to remove them from the old discs.. fml another expense I could do without!

Photo 22-12-2017, 14 40 49.jpg

Hopefully the new rear brakes will sort my MOT issues. (Imbalanced brakes, binding one side and no effort from the other).

In other news, Thanks so much to @GrahamS for turning off my airbag light, even after me bombarding you with emails and texts this last week or so!
Super friendly and helpful guy, would recommend 110%. Cheers @dann2707 for the heads-up.

Fitted a temporary horn button above the steering wheel, looks daft but only done for MOT purposes - I'm used to living without one now. Also fitted a new metal cover to the clutch pedal as the other one had half snapped off somehow and looked really untidy, happy with how the interior looks now.
Photo 21-12-2017, 10 58 40.jpg

Front discs and pads next :up: Will hopefully update soon!
Cheers for reading, James

Attachments

• Photo 21-12-2017, 10 59 22.jpg
    Photo 21-12-2017, 10 59 22.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 146
  Arctic 182
Love the look of the black on the front & rear bumper mate, how did you go about it? Is it a wrap or painted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Like @Louis' said probably a bent stub axel.

Must admit I find the rear brakes make a significant difference in braking on the Clio. I’ve gone from standard rear pads to CL 5’s and the car slows much faster on track.

Could up grade to 182 stub’s for extra rear track.

Good luck with your re-test!

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
Standard rear brakes are more than fine. The hazard light switch does more of a job braking.

Yeah rears do nothing.

Yes I've heard that, my point was I've also gone OEM upfront as well - would have upgraded but funds just won't allow it. They should do a pretty decent job anyway being brembo!

You may have a bent rear stub axle.

I did consider this, I really hope not. Anyway, the disc is on, it's done now. Hopefully won't cause me any trouble in future.
Love the look of the black on the front & rear bumper mate, how did you go about it? Is it a wrap or painted?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a wrap mate, was on when I bought the car.

Like @Louis' said probably a bent stub axel.

Must admit I find the rear brakes make a significant difference in braking on the Clio. I’ve gone from standard rear pads to CL 5’s and the car slows much faster on track.

Could up grade to 182 stub’s for extra rear track.

Good luck with your re-test!

Is it possible to swap the stubs around or is a whole new rear axle job? Thinking about it, a new rear axle sounds easier anyway.
Thanks bud :up:

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
Also, just cause I haven't got anything else on with the damn car... one of my front headlight bulbs has gone now. Wtf is going on!
Read they're a bit of a pain to swap without taking front bumper off (which I can't be arsed with) so really looking forward to that.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
The stub axel’s bolt to the main beam, they are a bolt on part. It’s a bit more involved than changing rear discs but it’s only 8 bolts to take off then torque them back up.
There might be a how to do it in the guide section :up:

Cup looks great btw :up::up:

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
The stub axel’s bolt to the main beam, they are a bolt on part. It’s a bit more involved than changing rear discs but it’s only 8 bolts to take off then torque them back up.
There might be a how to do it in the guide section :up:

Cup looks great btw :up::up:
Thanks man. That's good news, now there hub & bearing are on and torqued up there shouldn't be any issues, hopefully, but good to know for the future :)

That's a gutter about the mot but sounds like you're well on the case to get it sorted, had to be this time of year didn't it!!

Typical eh! Getting there slowly