ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

It never rains (my first proper Clio issue)

My current Ph1 is my 4th Clio, I've put well over 100k miles in to them over the years and never had a single issue or breakdown (remarkably). I bought it fairly cheap just over a year ago (£1300) and have had a year of trouble free motoring in what was/is a fantastically well maintained car. I've put it through two services in the 12 months I've had it (and an MOT which it sailed through), good times indeed, anyhooo....

In the past week it feels like it's decided it wants a nice rest in the scrapyard in the sky, as these have all appeared seemingly from nowhere literally in the past 5 days:

- Whining when decelerating in 5th, which quickly led (today, in fact) to it refusing to stay in 5th any more.
- The noise of 10,000 birds chirping when I press the clutch down, every darn time
- No longer feels the need to retain any engine oil in the correct place, most of it now lives on my driveway
- Suddenly decides it only wants to remotely lock on its own terms, occasionally refuses
- Doesn't corner to the right without 'a bit of drama', feels like I'm driving on ice if I feel the need to take a right hander on all but the smoothest surfaces.

The last one was evident not long after I bought it, but calmed down after replacing the shocks, it's returned with a vengeance.

I love it, but wonder if it's worth it (considering how much it's worth). Honeymoon in 8 weeks so absolutely zero funds to get anything sorted until after then. I don't critically need a car so wondering if I get what I can for it and move onto the next £1000 shed (always wanted an MX-5) in the Autumn. Good idea?! Would seem a great shame as the bodywork is bordering on immaculate considering the age of the car.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Hmmm, were they OE shocks? Checked them for leaking? Failing that, could possibly be ball joints or front arm bushes

but the facts its squealing and kicking out of gear.......... that box needs to come off

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
^ ball joints! I had the same feels like it bites into the corner, buy not every corner!!

Hmmm, this is all sounding rather expensive when you add it all up. I'm thinking I may as well see what I can get for the car now (with a completely honest write up) whilst somebody can still drive it away.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
I'd mirror the above with ball joints, Ball joint's are fairly cheap and if your handy with a spanner, easy to change.
From my experience with dead ball joints the feeling when corning was down right blizzare, you turn - not get the turn in you expect then the car snapped in the direction as if the rack had just moved a few clicks further.

I'd mirror the above with ball joints, Ball joint's are fairly cheap and if your handy with a spanner, easy to change.
From my experience with dead ball joints the feeling when corning was down right blizzare, you turn - not get the turn in you expect then the car snapped in the direction as if the rack had just moved a few clicks further.

Sounds spot on, very odd feeling, I wasn't so concerned with that as I assumed it would be relatively cheap. The gearbox issue is the killer.

If it's generally good then I'd try and get those things fixed. If it's not essential you need a car right now then leave it a little while.

Be better to get them fixed and know you've got a decent car than to buy something else that could have all sorts of hidden gremlins with it.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
If you can afford time without the car, you could remove the box and send it to be rebuild - Agency transitions seems to be a popular choice on here.

53 Clio's & counting
It does sound like the biggie is the box, the others are not too bad mate, id get the box checked first but it sounds like a new one is needed

106GTI / NovaC20LET
If it's generally good then I'd try and get those things fixed. If it's not essential you need a car right now then leave it a little while.

Be better to get them fixed and know you've got a decent car than to buy something else that could have all sorts of hidden gremlins with it.

This. The best part about owning a car for a decent period of time is you know its strengths and weaknesses. Nothing worse than buying a car and uncovering loads of unwanted hidden treats.

Sounds like a plan, plenty of space at home so can garage it, should have a decent amount of funds by September to sort things.

White clique
regarding the wobbles, i had this on my 182 and it was actually a slow puncture, sounds an obvious fault to check but the stiff sidewalls hid it really well and actually the tyre looked completely normal.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
New clutch and a rebuilt/secondhand box. Its unfortunate but these things happen.

The car diving around is down to bushes/bottom arms/suspension so its no real biggie.

Don't get rid dude, especially if you've lookaed after it in the 12 months you've owned it.