ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Issues with Powerflex wishbone bushes

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Holy crap what a video!

With that you can rule out the nut/ bolt because it isn't moving, the subframe and the wishbon, only remaining offender is the bush and sleeve. What's the front one like? Got any pictures?

Clio172cup rally car
That's vid is mad, I've been telling powerflex for the last couple of weeks that these bushes just aint good enough, and there is a lot of people having problems with them. All they keep saying is that my bushes were an isolated case!! Bulls**t!

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Did mine myself about two years ago, no rubbing what so ever. Just need to make sure the sleeves are in the right place and give it some good welding ;-)

Clio 172
Holy crap what a video!

With that you can rule out the nut/ bolt because it isn't moving, the subframe and the wishbon, only remaining offender is the bush and sleeve. What's the front one like? Got any pictures?

Got two photos here that show the front bush. As you can see, it is no where NEAR as bad. The odd thing though is that the rear bush on the right side isn't as bad as the left side either.

IMG_6618.jpg

IMG_6619.jpg

That's vid is mad, I've been telling powerflex for the last couple of weeks that these bushes just aint good enough, and there is a lot of people having problems with them. All they keep saying is that my bushes were an isolated case!! Bulls**t!

To be fair though, I think the failure rate must be fairly small. I don't recall ever reading about issues like this on this forum or on the Australian ones.

Did mine myself about two years ago, no rubbing what so ever. Just need to make sure the sleeves are in the right place and give it some good welding ;-)

The sleeves as they are, are in the correct place and welded fine. There's no point welding too much - it won't help my situation and the weld is just there to stop the sleeve from being pushed out of the wishbone, so you don't need much at all! Don't underestimate the strength of a small spot weld.

IMG_6609.jpg

And we continue on with some more images.

Here we have a ahem, 10mm, gap...

IMG_6607.jpg

IMG_6615.jpg

IMG_6614.jpg

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Was the front bolt tight? The centre hole looks slightly elongated.

I would say that the sleeve is at fault there and it looks like they could be pressed in a few more mm also. The sleeve giving way is then causing the wear on the bush.

Clio 172
Was the front bolt tight? The centre hole looks slightly elongated.

I would say that the sleeve is at fault there and it looks like they could be pressed in a few more mm also. The sleeve giving way is then causing the wear on the bush.

Sure as hell felt tight. And yes, I noticed that the hole in the front bush has been elongated. It's now 21mm x 23mm rather than 22mm. The sleeve can't be pressed in further because of the flare they have put on the end of it. If it wasn't for that, then the sleeve would sit probably 1.5-2mm further out and cover more of the bush. But again, Powerflex don't see this part as an issue so *shrug*

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry what I mean is in the 3rd picture it looks like the sleeve can be pushed in a bit more (even only 1mm perhaps) which would help. I could be wrong tho, but it does look like it could go in a bit more

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
im assuming when you took the pics that the centre sleeve had already been removed?? (just checking)

thats an awesome video btw, but with the centre sleeve it place, its showing the entire bush deforming under the lateral force!

Gav_r26

ClioSport Club Member
  2006 Megane R26
Fred, I know before you were offering to fit these into wishbone via a postal service. Are you still doing this as I have a spare set of wishbones and some bushes that need fitting.

Clio 172
Yes, I did remove the central metal sleeve for those photos. It was there in the first place, don't worry!

How the f**k is your wishbone flexing back about 10mm?????
I wouldn't be driving that anywhere!

Also - best video ever posted - gopro?

I really can't understand why your wishbone is flexing back under acceleration - for a start the ARB should stop that as it's a fecking huge piece of metal bar bolted to the tip of the wishbone. You do have your ARB bolted on don't you?

Secondly - There only seems to be you and the other guy on this thread ever have problems with them. Mine have seen stupid amounts of track abuse and i've just had a look at them while I was doing an oil change and they're good as new

Clio 172
How the f**k is your wishbone flexing back about 10mm?????
I wouldn't be driving that anywhere!

Also - best video ever posted - gopro?

I really can't understand why your wishbone is flexing back under acceleration - for a start the ARB should stop that as it's a fecking huge piece of metal bar bolted to the tip of the wishbone. You do have your ARB bolted on don't you?

Secondly - There only seems to be you and the other guy on this thread ever have problems with them. Mine have seen stupid amounts of track abuse and i've just had a look at them while I was doing an oil change and they're good as new

It's not quite 10mm, I'd say it's probably around 5-6mm that it's moving. And yes, it was my GoPro zip-tied to the steering arm and also sticky taped to try and stop it from moving about lots.

Yes, ARB is definitely bolted on :p Thing is, this issue doesn't affect handling that much (there's another part of the video that's not on YouTube where I take a corner at a decent pace and there is nothing 'odd' about the movement). The flexing is worst under brakes, not so much acceleration. I'm as clueless as everyone else here as to exactly why this is happening.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
surely the inner sleeve should be the length of the gap in the subframe,
and very srong, and the same length as the bush, so its quite baffling why the bush is allowing for such deformation as its implying the 10mm layer of material between the inner and outer sleeve is allowing for a lot amount of deformation in the sheer direction....this should really not be happening!!

IMG_6618.jpg

also just want to clarify that this is NOT the inner sleeve (from the angle/light it looks like there may be a very tiny sleeve in there!!)

I literally can't understand how it's possible

The inside of that bush has completely ovaled and the whole wishbone is moving back and forth
How the f*ck?

The force required to bend back the ARB and deform those bushes to allow movement in the wishbone should be massive - but it's doing it just on braking
Amazed - something is seriously wrong somewhere

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
more than likely rotates the wishbone around the arb joint!!
as you say the force to actually bend the arb would be very hight,

Clio 172
Here's a photo with the inner sleeve in place just to assure you that it's there :p

IMG_6606.jpg

As for how the movement is occurring, I don't really know. ARB's are designed to stop vertical movement, not sure just how effective it'd be at stopping the wishbone from moving backwards. Maybe I should try and get the camera to get birds eye view of the wishbone so you can see how it's flexing...

That'd be a really good idea - could you clamp it up in the arch somewhere or to the shocker looking down?

I know they aren't supposed to stop horizontal flex - but feck it's a massive lump of steel bar lol

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
Hmm, re reading this...very tempted now to make up my own sleeves for this.
a thick(er) outer sleeve with a machined step to fit in the wishbone, all to be pushes in from the outside.
anybody know what grade of steel is used for the sleeve?
seems to be regular steel 1mm pipe, upgrading that to 2mm with a machined step would do it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What an epic video!

For it to be moving forward that much under breaking sure it implies that the other mount isnt fitting the yoke well enough in the subframe as it will be the job of the thick overlapping section of bush to stop the arm moving forward, and then that ones job will be to stop it moving backwards, and both of them resist it rotating front to back.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
This is how they are suppose to look.

View attachment 76649

From this picture, the thicker bit of bush is the bit that is meant to stop the arm moving, if you start relying on the sleeve to do that job instead, its going to be cutting into the frame, I think its a total red herring where everyone is obsessing over the sleeve's positioning as its such thin metal its going to do very little anyway if subjected to that sort of movement in the opposing bush as per the video.

Can you get some install photos of the undamaged opposite bush as well? To see how tightly located that is?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Hmm, re reading this...very tempted now to make up my own sleeves for this.
a thick(er) outer sleeve with a machined step to fit in the wishbone, all to be pushes in from the outside.
anybody know what grade of steel is used for the sleeve?
seems to be regular steel 1mm pipe, upgrading that to 2mm with a machined step would do it.

If it moves forward and your nice thick steel is then pressing up against the subframe it will damage it.

TBH the best option would just be some spherical bearings if you want to really eliminate movement.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
true, never tought of that...better break the sleeve than the subframe
live & learn

Indeed, its the thick part of the bush that stops the forward and back movement, if its killing the thinner edge of one bush I would wager the other bush is not clamped up tightly enough.
I think the sleeve is just a red herring a few people are wrongly obsessing over in this case.

Even not welded, or wrongly positioned it wouldnt effect this side of things.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
powerflex-bushes.jpg

The back bush stops forward movement of the whole arm by virtue of the fact that the arm when it tries to move cant as the thick part of the bush is in its way which in term is resisted by pressing up against the subframe yoke, and vice versa for the front bush stopping backwards movement.

And then a twisting of the arm where the balljoint end tries to swing forwards and backwards is resisted by both, the load being transmitted from the arm to the bush to the central pin which should be firmly sandwiched in the yoke on the subframe.

Clio 182
Are standard bushes available to buy or do I have to get new wishbones?
I've just binned the powerflex idea after seing this.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
They come pre-fitted in the wishbone, not sure if they are also available seperately, but if they are I bet its no cheaper considering with the wishbone you get new balljoints too.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Sorry I dont understand the question.

But best wishbones for a road car if that is what you are asking, are standard ones with new standard bushes.

I think he is asking whether or not you should have the car supporting its own weight before torqueing the wishbone bolts up.

Should you?