ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Issue Copying File to Media Server, Since Mavericks?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Since upgrading to Mavericks (and then getting a new machine with it pre-installed) I have an issue with drag and dropping my files wirelessly to my external HDD (that's on the network).

Basically the sequence is:

Download a 100% legal torrent ;)
Close utorrent down
Copy file to exhdd
Gets right to the end and comes up "copy could not be completed because file is in use" or something to that effect.

I seem to be able to fix the issue but not 100% of the time which is driving me mental. A series of resarts etc does often cure it, but as said, I don't know for certain what actually fixes the issue. It's got to be the new software as prior to this I've been using the method for 3 years with no issues.

All help appreciated my mini apple community.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'm not a spaz dude :rasp:, I'm properly quitting it.

I thought I'd found the issue, I thought it was because I hadn't deleted the .torrent file yet and it was accessing it or similar, but that's not the case, I'm also stopping the torrent before closing utorrent down.

I have just this second had another thought, could it be the icon based preview that there now is? Because it loads one frame of video? I've just disabled that and am testing. Problem is with it being a random issue, I'll not know if that's solved it for at least a week.

I'm not a spaz dude :rasp:, I'm properly quitting it.

I thought I'd found the issue, I thought it was because I hadn't deleted the .torrent file yet and it was accessing it or similar, but that's not the case, I'm also stopping the torrent before closing utorrent down.

I have just this second had another thought, could it be the icon based preview that there now is? Because it loads one frame of video? I've just disabled that and am testing. Problem is with it being a random issue, I'll not know if that's solved it for at least a week.

It's just a process I'm used to called Kiss(keep it simple, stupid) to rule out basic issue before getting more technical, didn't mean to offend.

Having you got any backup schedules set?

In fact when the issue occurs again, run this in terminal to see what program has a lock on the file.
Code:
$ lsof | grep <filename>

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
It's just a process I'm used to called Kiss(keep it simple, stupid) to rule out basic issue before getting more technical, didn't mean to offend.

Having you got any backup schedules set?

In fact when the issue occurs again, run this in terminal to see what program has a lock on the file.
Code:
$ lsof | grep <filename>

No offence taken mate, what is it you do for a living anyway?

Preview removal didn't fix it.. (I only removed previews on the source file)

ScreenShot2014-01-10at234636_zps681d4b96.png

Code:
lsof '/Users/rob/path/to/file.mp4'

That will work better, I forgot to remove the grep bit!

Lsof is case sensitive btw :)

Or you can try this, grep just searches instead of having to specify the whole path!

Code:
lsof | grep -i 'S05E02.mp4'

Last edited:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Code:
lsof '/Users/rob/path/to/file.mp4'

That will work better, I forgot to remove the grep bit!

Lsof is case sensitive btw :)

Or you can try this, grep just searches instead of having to specify the whole path!

Code:
lsof | grep -i 'S05E02.mp4'

100% can't get that to work for some reason.

'lsof' all lower case?

I keep getting no such file or directory.

Or when doing the search one, it loads something in the background, but does nothing.

100% can't get that to work for some reason.

'lsof' all lower case?

I keep getting no such file or directory.

Or when doing the search one, it loads something in the background, but does nothing.

Yeah it's lowercase, the command is working fine it just can't find the file. Can you copy and paste the code you are using when it comes up no such file or directory?

Second one may take a bit of time to locate the file!

This program does the same thing as lsof, but with a gui interface, but the last version was for 10.6 so I can't see it working http://www.hamsoftengineering.com/products/wkm/wkm.html

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
^^ I've just downloaded that before checking back after a quick google, that can't find the file either. Job for the morning I think.

I'll update then.

^^ I've just downloaded that before checking back after a quick google, that can't find the file either. Job for the morning I think.

I'll update then.

Okay mate, one last thing if terminal is opening in your directory "Users\rob" -rob$ or however it comes up, then you don't need to include that bit of the path in the command :)

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
See example below for syntax, simple bit of code that holds a filesystem lock on a particular file and I'm checking which binary currently has that lock...

vader:~ rdo$ ./a.out & lsof | grep file.txt
[1] 49784
a.out 49784 rdo 3u REG 1,4 0 12181804 /Users/rdo/file.txt

However, this doesn't answer why @Rob Cannot finish the copying of a file. A UNIX platform should have no problem copying a currently open-file...

vader:~ rdo$ echo "hello from file.txt" > file.txt
vader:~ rdo$ ./a.out & lsof | grep file.txt
[1] 49792
a.out 49792 rdo 3u REG 1,4 0 12181804 /Users/rdo/file.txt
vader:~ rdo$ cp file.txt file2.txt
vader:~ rdo$ cat file2.txt
hello from file.txt

vader:~ rdo$

So I suspect that there's some other problem here!