ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

File permissions [copying from XP to W7]

I'm trying to help someone out with their PC. Their Windows XP install is FUBAR, so I have taken their HDD and plugged it into my Windows 7 machine (as a secondary disc) with the intention of pulling all the personal data off it before I format it back in their PC and do a fresh OS install (and then restore their personal data).

Now, I can see the files that I need to copy, namely the 'My Documents' folder. I am signed in as Admin with full control of everything (allegedly) yet Windows will not let me copy any files to another disc. Read only is a sticking point, but even when I try to change that file attribute, it tells me to go f**k myself.

I've been doing some Googling but failed pretty hard so far, so before I continue my research, I thought I would ask the CS IT heroes for help in the meantime. If I had any hair I'd be pulling it out :(

Thanks dude but that seems like a bit of a ball ache. It needs a fresh install anyway. All I want to do is copy some pics over. Bloody Windows shite ;)

Cupra
Have you got a USB case you can use with it? I had a disc with windows vista on it, and windows 7 would not even recognise it through sata unless I changed from AHCI to IDE. I used USB instead and had full access.

No I'm afraid not. The offending HDD is a SATA drive and is plugged into my W7 games machine. I can see everything no problem but just can't take control of anything to copy. Further Googling seems to be suggesting it's a known bug with W7. Surprise surprise :(

SLK 350
Tried copying the files through DOS?

Failing that if you've got a Bart/Linux Live CD knocking about it may be worth circumventing W7 [if it is that that's causing it].

Can you open the My Docs and edit the files in any way [i.e rename] or is that also failing?

C*nt

Facelift R53 Cooper S
Just do the process on an XP machine, that's what i do.

Vista and 7 get crappy about permissions and stuff.

I'm just off to work now but have a look at this
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1911-take-ownership-shortcut.html

I'll be back from work at 11pm tonight so if you've had no luck with that I'll think of something else :)

Thanks but I've already tried that and it doesn't work.

Tried copying the files through DOS?

Failing that if you've got a Bart/Linux Live CD knocking about it may be worth circumventing W7 [if it is that that's causing it].

Can you open the My Docs and edit the files in any way [i.e rename] or is that also failing?

C*nt

No I have not tried DOS. Nope, can't edit anything.

Just do the process on an XP machine, that's what i do.

Vista and 7 get crappy about permissions and stuff.

I don't have access to one TBH. I could maybe get access to an XP laptop, but that would mean buying a USB adaptor. Might have to do that.

Tried running it and it just closes instantly. Can't be bothered to spend anymore time on it TBH. The owner is going to buy an adaptor and I'll borrow an XP laptop.

Thanks for all the help and advice though IMO.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
seriously mate, erd commander - boot from disk, copy files to usb, reboot, done? you'd be finished by now!!!

Meh. It looked a PITA, and at the time I thought there would be a way to do it in Windows. Evidently there isn't. POS operating systems TBH.

Anyway thanks for everyone's help.