ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Network file transfer issue - can't see the wood for the trees!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Right chaps - this is something silly and frustrating, that clearly is so obvious that I'm not seeing it!

At one of our depots, we have the typical 100mbps network setup - 10/100 switch in there, a small file server and about half-a-dozen Windows XP PCs. On one PC, I've picked up on the fact that it's still running on XP SP2 - no probs though as SP3 is currently sat on the file server there.

However, when I go to retrieve SP3 from the file server, or go onto the file server itself and attempt to push it out to the PC, the time remaining is ridiculous - as seen in the attached...

Filetransferissue.jpg

Yet, there's no issue with the ping time, nor with the PC when it's being used in its daily role? It seems ok browsing to shares and folders on the file server, but just copying SP3 across is taking forever.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, or "You're a plank - have you tried this...." feedback will be more than welcome! ;)

D.

I had something similar on a file server before. I tracked it down to the link speed on the network card.

It's in Device Manager - Network Adapter, Right click the active device then select properties. Then go to the Advanced tab and select Link Speed & Duplex, make sure its set to the max or Auto Negotiate.

BMW M135i
Tried a different port on the switch? Might be fine with small packets but get its knickers in a twist with bigger ones?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I had something similar on a file server before. I tracked it down to the link speed on the network card.

It's in Device Manager - Network Adapter, Right click the active device then select properties. Then go to the Advanced tab and select Link Speed & Duplex, make sure its set to the max or Auto Negotiate.

Tried that and it didn't make any difference m8. That said, the Broadcom driver dates back to 2005 and it's being updated as part of the Windows Update. 160MB+ and that is coming through ok...

Tried a different port on the switch? Might be fine with small packets but get its knickers in a twist with bigger ones?

I'm thinking it might be down to overall distance? We have two PCs (of which this is one) at the very far end of the warehouse for booking in purposes. PCs closer to the comms rack don't any file transfer issues and I wouldn't be surprised if the distance from the comms rack to the 'outer' PCs is very close to the fabled 105m limit on unboosted structured cabling.

This is why I <3 fibre connections. :)

Thanks for the input though guys!

D.

Not sure on the problem but my lazy solution is. Pen drive, copy file, run from there, done. If the rest of the PC seems to be in working order and file transfer isn't needed in daily use, not worth the hassle trying to solve it. (IMO Anyway)

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
i think it is a windows issue, does the destination have enough disk space available?

M3 CSL, GT4 & SL
If the distance is an issue cut the cable/s half way put rj45 connectors on and use another switch there as a repeater