ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is traction control actually needed?

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
ABS, TC and every other bloody drivers aid has contributed to the utter dogs**t standard of driving on the roads, because everyone thinks they're invincible. If you dont know how to vary the throttle, and cadence brake then then for your own sake, get on a hazard avoidance and skid control course. There's a few about run by police safe driving partnerships

Cudnt have summed that up better myself!

dont know why people think tc is all that. I dont know what its like on the clio but on my bros e39 and 350z it just cut the power. It do anything just cut the power. I bet tc in the snow is more dangerous then with out.

Black 197
I agree that its a pain but to be fair if it wasnt for TC i feel that a lot of inexperienced drivers would of had there car smashed up by now,

At the end of the day its a safety device and i bet it has saved people on here more than once.

Better than yours. C*nt.
At the end of the day its a safety device and i bet it has saved people on here more than once.

Can't you read, it says up if you're a 'real' driver you don't need it.

BS IMO, I'd rather it was there to catch me if I fell. If you were a world class tightrope walker, and were crossing the grand canyon, I'm guessing you'd still like the net underneath you just in case? It's not always a case of running out of talent, sometimes things do happen that are outside of our control - that's why it's there.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
The C2 GT is a bit of a ***** car for a 'sports hatch', it even flashes its hazard warning lights if you brake hard lol, i know its to warn other people that your braking hard but it doesn't really do much for the sports hatch look.

What do you drive anyway mate?

Get one with. You'll stuggle to find one specifically without. Plus you can always switch it off.

Unless you plan on driving it into the ground it might put some people off come selling.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
At the moment, a Yaris T sport, my bro has a C2 GT thats how i know bout the flashy lights lol.

Been in the market for a 172 for a few months now just not found the right 1 yet.

Cool, was just wondering as its only really people that have owned/driven the GT to extent to know that about them. It was a little bit of a pain in the arse when it did happen but you really had to stand on the brake pedal to make it do it...!

Had a tussle with a Yaris T or two when i had mine, very finley matched as far as performance goes.

What 172 you looking for?

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Cool, was just wondering as its only really people that have owned/driven the GT to extent to know that about them. It was a little bit of a pain in the arse when it did happen but you really had to stand on the brake pedal to make it do it...!

Had a tussle with a Yaris T or two when i had mine, very finley matched as far as performance goes.

What 172 you looking for?

Yeh i know you have to brake hard it just makes me laugh when im with my bro and his does it because its not really a sporty feature.

Yeh they are very evenly matched cars, I love my yaris because people think yaris = grandad car but is actually a nippy little motor and faster than your average boy racer in his VTR which is what i was after :p.

I'm after a late 172 with all the trimmings if possible, i would call it a FF172 but we all know thats not politically correct. ;)

LY V6 & Fiesta ST
Never noticed the system on my cup and surely that's the point. Just there, below the surface keeping a guiding eye on all that happens. Realistically, if you always notice it then either you are driving too fast for the road conditions or the system is taking the nanny state too far. Don't mean to sound up tight but a road which i travel on a lot a driver was killed because some muppet was going too fast and to control his car needed to use the other side of the road, which meant the innocent coming the opposite way stood no chance.

Mine came back on when I got to 20mph or thereabouts. 2005 182...

In my 182, it definitely stays off once the button is pressed. At Rockingham yesterday I had it switched off on every session, mainly because it was being a cnut, and trying to tell me how to drive. Snatching, cutting power mid corner. Off - it stayed off. I was faster. Done.

It's a good feature I guess, but it aint no launch control.

insignia
traction control isnt needed, but on the 172/182 the button isnt just the t/c control, its the ESP aswell. Over the 3 years I had my clio, I very rarely turned it off,there were 2 occasions that If it wasnt for the ESP I would of crashed.When ESP kicks in in my experience, its usually when the car starts sliding sideway and you can actually feel it take control and stop the slide.So t/c and ESP definately.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
traction control isnt needed, but on the 172/182 the button isnt just the t/c control, its the ESP aswell. Over the 3 years I had my clio, I very rarely turned it off,there were 2 occasions that If it wasnt for the ESP I would of crashed.When ESP kicks in in my experience, its usually when the car starts sliding sideway and you can actually feel it take control and stop the slide.So t/c and ESP definately.

Your forgetting that 1/2 CS are pro racing drivers though:rolleyes:
I think a few people are mistaking TC for ESP on this thread. I leave mine on and I can't say it ever comes on much. You would have to drive like a bit of a dick for it to be coming on all the time on the roads.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i find it usefull for hard launches for limiting wheelspin, on a hard launch it doesnt seem to cut power in any way that slows you down just enough to get the power down.

rarely switch it off on the road to be honest unless im properly driving hard!

rps13
errrr how can I switch mine on or off?

only seen it when pushing it in the wet a couple times, can do burnouts without it coming on?

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
Never had traction control, never needed it, even when I had my Skip Brown 205 GTi. I'm not an heroic driver, I just now how to control my right foot.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
In my 182, it definitely stays off once the button is pressed. At Rockingham yesterday I had it switched off on every session, mainly because it was being a cnut, and trying to tell me how to drive. Snatching, cutting power mid corner. Off - it stayed off. I was faster. Done.

It's a good feature I guess, but it aint no launch control.

Ditto.

Took a 182 around Brands on a Renault UK day, and it just kept grabbing randomly at different wheels f***ing up my exit/balance. Pain in the arse. Instructor wouldn't let me swith off either, grrrrrr.

200 cup & 106 GTi
It's not a great system on the 182, but then it's not intrusive, even clarkson mentioned in his review of the trophy how it didn't kick in once in a week of him driving the car.

The ESP allows a fair bit of arse out before it kicks in, and in the wet you definitely have to dial in opposite lock still if you hit a bump on a sharp corner and the back end decides to break loose.

The traction control light has never come on in the dry in my car, and in the wet it's so slow to react that you've probably just wheelspan 5m out of a junction before it kicks in, which is annoying because traction in the wet isn't great in these cars, so it's quite easy to accidentally do that coming out of a junction. When it eventually kicks in it cuts the power too sharply and that causes problems!

The 197 system is far more sensitive. I set it off twice in the karusell, damn thing slammed all 4 brakes on mid corner :( And the light would flash at any more than a smidge of rear wheel slip. I turned it off after a few laps.