ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is traction control actually needed?

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
I was speaking to my dad, and he was telling me that i should get a 172 that has TC as a car with that much power needs it, but my dad hasn't had a powerful car since before TC was invented i don't think, he just drives diesels.

Thoughts?

Clio 197 08
It eliminates a lot of wheel spin if you dumb the clutch to quickly and in all honesty if i turn the TC off on my 197 it turns into a little beast! Almost seems to play up to the fact that you have turned it off!! Have had it sideways with the TC off!! Very playful car!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
My 172 doesn't have / need TC.

Went out in a friends ASBO (08 Focus ST) and the stupid TC kicked in all over the place (even when in 3rd gear) making it feel like it had a misfire. Was not good at all...!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I never felt i needed it in my 172, but i've been glad it's been there in my 182, but thats cos i was being silly.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
So do we think its something thats nice to have if you want it (it can be turned on and off anyway can't it?) but not needed, or something that the clio is better not having at all?

Clio 197 08
Depends on preference really, this is the first car i have had with traction control and it does interfere quite a bit! The misses always moans when i turn it off tho! I get away with it when she is not looking tho!! :evil:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Re: Is traction control actually needed?

In something fast and powerful, yes. In a Clio? No. imo of course.

There are A LOT of stupid people around though.

So if it stops a woman crossing over into my lane on a wet day...then yes its needed.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Phase 1 172 is what you need.

Traction control is for quitters lol

Only car I had with TC was my Citroen CT GT, you couldn't disable it but it never failed to remind you you were being naughty by flashiny a red triangle at you when the front wheels were alight

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
The C2 GT is a bit of a ***** car for a 'sports hatch', it even flashes its hazard warning lights if you brake hard lol, i know its to warn other people that your braking hard but it doesn't really do much for the sports hatch look.

Better than yours. C*nt.
TC on the 182 is bloody intrusive.

And argumentative. Turn it off, it comes back on. Turn it off again, it comes back on again.

At least with the GTI, you can hold it down to tell it to get to f**k. My old S2 didn't have TC on, that was 300bhp and you had to be a tool to crash that. So I'd say you don't 'need' traction control because your car has 170bhp - however it's nice to have it at times when something catches you off guard.

audi a6 3.0tdi
I've never needed it on my 172's you learn how to control the power and drive it properly. It depends what you want from the car but if you are a real driver you'll not need it.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
182's traction control automatically switches back on after 30mph. You can do nothing about it.

Thats why they developed the permanant switch on the 197's.

Better than yours. C*nt.
It depends what you want from the car but if you are a real driver you'll not need it.

Utter b****cks. I never cease to be amazed at all the 'real' drivers that frequent this forum who are god's gift behind a wheel.

Stick them in a Formula 1 car, they'd s**t bricks. Sat next to Loeb in the Finnish rally, they'd be crying for mummy.

But they're still self-proclaimed 'real' drivers.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Utter b****cks. I never cease to be amazed at all the 'real' drivers that frequent this forum who are god's gift behind a wheel.

Stick them in a Formula 1 car, they'd s**t bricks. Sat next to Loeb in the Finnish rally, they'd be crying for mummy.

But they're still self-proclaimed 'real' drivers.

Real drivers drive 172 cups IIRC.

Better than yours. C*nt.
182's traction control automatically switches back on after 30mph. You can do nothing about it.

GTI has two modes, off for twatting about and off for making a mess of your tyres... Works quite well actually, off for making a mess of your tyres and it'll wheelspin round corners at 40-50mph.

(I'd booked it in to get tyres done based on her using it to get to work and back every day. And she then got the train, so figured I may as well get my monies worth!)

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Wierd, my car's traction control never kicks in when accelerating, suppose its all those years of having the Williams?

Only had it going a few times when going round corners and scrabbling for grip tbh.

Is the TC diff between the 172 and 182 then, as when I turn mine off it stays off.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
GET ONE WITHOUT imo.

If you're an enthusiastic driver, then you only need your right foot to control the power, not TC. I thought it'd be better to get it with so I could switch it off when I wanted. I now switch it off as soon as I've turned the car on. Plus on the 172 its ESP as well as TC and can be vary dangerous imo if you turn into a slide and the car wants to react at the same time. Really don't like driving with it on. I find the car very rarely lacks grip unless pushing it in the wet, which I neved do so its not really needed at all. Its probably perfect if you want a simple drive, ie putting your foot flat whatever the conditions and only turning the wheel once and not correcting a slide.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
What about snow/ice driving, isn't it beneficial there especially with the amount of threads on here i saw over the winter of "crashed my car, wasn't my fault etc."

330Ci (Fail)Sport
What about snow/ice driving, isn't it beneficial there especially with the amount of threads on here i saw over the winter of "crashed my car, wasn't my fault etc."

I still switched it off in the snow because as you spin on the snow it'll only cut the power.

Lol @ the hero's turning it off.
On the other hand some people think that because they have ESP/ASR/TC/ABC123/BBQ/WTF/TBQH control they can drive like a complete tool even in the wet because they are under this safeguard that will steer them away from the ditch.
Personally I prefer to respect a vehicle for what it is be in a 172 clio or a 1.0 Polo, I must admit some of the more advanced systems are quite good though.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

Exactly LOL

Mines a v.late Jan 06 182.

When i press the Traction Control Button, its off. No matter how fast i go or drive it STAYS off.

has done for every other 182/172 ive seen also.
and the 197 just has the same switch to do the same thing as mine?

ITB'd MK1
ABS, TC and every other bloody drivers aid has contributed to the utter dogshit standard of driving on the roads, because everyone thinks they're invincible. If you dont know how to vary the throttle, and cadence brake then then for your own sake, get on a hazard avoidance and skid control course. There's a few about run by police safe driving partnerships