ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone iQuestion....

Jailbroken, you can also install a IM client such as Apollo which will work fine with MSN, so your hotmail is good to go for that at least. You need BSD Subsystem installed before installing any IM stuff though. Just a thought, since you mentioned your hotmail :)

Citroen DS3 DSport
would this work with o2 contracts through the CPW?

So long as you were a customer prior to 18th September 2007 it's the same as on O2 but you need the transfer code..

If you are an O2 customer who is billed by The Carphone Warehouse,

you can either enter into a second pay monthly iPhone airtime contract while keeping your existing airtime contract, in which case your existing number will remain with your existing phone and you will get a new number for your iPhone, or we will allow you to cancel your existing contract and transfer your existing number to your iPhone provided you:
  • pay any outstanding bills
  • pay the price of the iPhone
  • pass a new credit check with O2
  • complete activation of your iPhone
  • transfer your existing O2 mobile number using a transfer code. You'll get this transfer code when you buy the iPhone in the store or over the phone. If you buy your iPhone on our website, you need to call us on 0870 111 7200 so we can give you the transfer code.
  • do not cancel your new iPhone airtime contract within 14 days of activation
If you joined or upgraded through Carphone Warehouse after 18 September 2007 you must in addition pay an amount of £219 as compensation for our loss due to terminating early.
If you do not complete the activation of your iPhone or you cancel your new iPhone airtime contract, your existing contract will not be cancelled your number will be transferred back and you will remain liable for all line rental, call and other charges under your existing O2 airtime contract. If you paid the £219 charge, this will be refunded.
Please note:
  • You must provide the transfer code during the activation process within seven working days of when you bought the iPhone.
  • This does not immediately cancel your existing O2 airtime contract.
  • Please allow 14 days from point of activation for your existing mobile number to transfer to your iPhone. During this time you will get a temporary number for your iPhone and you will remain liable for all line rental, call and other charges under your existing O2 airtime contract until your number transfers across.

Last edited:
  Tweaked Leon Cupra R
my windows live mail cant even connect to my hotmail... what chance has my iphone got!! lol

would this work with o2 contracts through the CPW?

So long as you were a customer prior to 18th September 2007 it's the same as on O2 but you need the transfer code..

If you are an O2 customer who is billed by The Carphone Warehouse,

you can either enter into a second pay monthly iPhone airtime contract while keeping your existing airtime contract, in which case your existing number will remain with your existing phone and you will get a new number for your iPhone, or we will allow you to cancel your existing contract and transfer your existing number to your iPhone provided you:
  • pay any outstanding bills
  • pay the price of the iPhone
  • pass a new credit check with O2
  • complete activation of your iPhone
  • transfer your existing O2 mobile number using a transfer code. You'll get this transfer code when you buy the iPhone in the store or over the phone. If you buy your iPhone on our website, you need to call us on 0870 111 7200 so we can give you the transfer code.
  • do not cancel your new iPhone airtime contract within 14 days of activation
If you joined or upgraded through Carphone Warehouse after 18 September 2007 you must in addition pay an amount of £219 as compensation for our loss due to terminating early.
If you do not complete the activation of your iPhone or you cancel your new iPhone airtime contract, your existing contract will not be cancelled your number will be transferred back and you will remain liable for all line rental, call and other charges under your existing O2 airtime contract. If you paid the £219 charge, this will be refunded.
Please note:
  • You must provide the transfer code during the activation process within seven working days of when you bought the iPhone.
  • This does not immediately cancel your existing O2 airtime contract.
  • Please allow 14 days from point of activation for your existing mobile number to transfer to your iPhone. During this time you will get a temporary number for your iPhone and you will remain liable for all line rental, call and other charges under your existing O2 airtime contract until your number transfers across.

thanks for that reply. if I went for the option of cancelling the existing CPW contract and set one up with o2 would I be billed directly through o2 and not through CPW? basically im looking to get away from the CPW as I've had some problems with them throughout this contract unlike times when I've gone directly through o2.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Yes but you transfer to o2 rather than cancel with CPW. Ask CPW for the transfer code as described in my post and then buy your iPhone and sign up for a o2 account. All billing will then be directly with o2 and not CPW.

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
So sneeks, what you're saying is that I can buy an iPhone, start a fresh 18 month contract with no penalty to serve with my existing contract?

My existing phone would still be mine to sell on?

I've VERY tempted, however it's a tough call whether to wait until the new iPhone, but will I be able to afford it? Wonder what price it'll come out as?

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
So sneeks, what you're saying is that I can buy an iPhone, start a fresh 18 month contract with no penalty to serve with my existing contract?

My existing phone would still be mine to sell on?

I've VERY tempted, however it's a tough call whether to wait until the new iPhone, but will I be able to afford it? Wonder what price it'll come out as?

pretty certain the 8gb will come off the market the 16gb will take it's place and the 3g version will in turn take the 16gb's place.

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
It's not just the 8gb, it's the new functionality that the new phone would offer. Unless there will be continuous updates for the iPhone.

Once an iPhone is jailbroken, can you update it to new firmware?

Citroen DS3 DSport
It's not just the 8gb, it's the new functionality that the new phone would offer. Unless there will be continuous updates for the iPhone.

Once an iPhone is jailbroken, can you update it to new firmware?

Other than 3G and possibly an upgraded camera there may not be any other differences which can not be supported via a firmware update. Unfortunately all we can do for now is guess at what will be announced by Apple in June, possibly even nothing :D

You can usually update to the new software version fairly soon after it is released. It just means that you have to await the hackers releasing compatible unlock/jailbreak software.

If you are remaining on o2 then there is no immediate need to Jailbreak and with the launch of the App Store with firmware v2.0 we'll have access to a large range of 3rd party apps on iTunes.

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
Sounds good.

Has anyone got one from an 02 shop who is an existing customer? I imagine they'd have to phone through to 02 directly to sort out my contract switch over?

I would phone them myself but I can't be arsed with the wait for the phone to be delivered.

My Legs
heres a question, sorry to hog your thread,
but ... does the iphone not get free internet with the contract? or is it just wifi, cause wont that be a problem on the old phone bill when you start viewing web sites and all that...

Revels Mum & Sister
The iphone contracts have a unlimited data plan its not free, its part of the monthly cost.

Just ensure which ever sim card you use has unlimited data on it though. Then there wont be a problem.

Der Panzer
Has anyone taken the pludge from an N95 to an iPhone?

I love my N95 to bits, bit the iPhone just seems more seemless, if less functional.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat
I want to buy one today but can I use my existing 02 sim in the phone? How will it work?

VRS
only briefly read the thread so can someone clear this up for me,

you can go in CPW and buy the phone for 169 with no contract and then jailbreak it at home to use on other networks or you can buy the phone for 169 and then sign onto an O2 contract for 35/45/55 etc per month?!

is that right?

im currently in the dilema of switching to O2 and getting the iphone or upgrading my vodafone, now the only vodafone contract i can see with data wants 7.50 extra per month for it, would you say O2 have the best contracts for unlimited wifi/data?

cheers

andy

Lou

The answer of this question is probably no but thought I would ask anyway!
Can you run BlackBerry apps on the iPhone? Reason I'm asking is my BlackBerry contract is up next month and quite fancy the iPhone!

My Legs
thanks rasclart , cause ive seen people with videos on youtube about their $4K phone bills and that, im guessing that they didnt have a data bolt on etc.

im going to hong kong at the end of may , fingers corssed that the new 3g version will be available before the 10 of june when i come back.

i read somewhere that they are 899 hk dollars which works out to be £80.

gonna get myself one from over there, you can even buy them already unlocked.

Der Panzer
The answer of this question is probably no but thought I would ask anyway!
Can you run BlackBerry apps on the iPhone? Reason I'm asking is my BlackBerry contract is up next month and quite fancy the iPhone!

It's been ages since I looked at blackberry tarrifs etc, but I think the answer is no.

All I intend to do is run my t-mobile tarrif that has unlimited data. I currently have my N95 sending and receiving every minute, so mail is as good as instant.

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
I went and bought one, just copied across all my music and pictures that I wanted. Very impressed at the seemless transfer of my existing 02 contract to my new contract.

Quite bizarre not having to transfer a sim card in to the phone!

I was quite lucky in getting one as I went to my nearest 02 shop which was out of stock, went in to Nottm on the bus and tried the shop near Victoria Centre, again out of stock. So got them to phone the other shop near
Broadmarsh and they had some in, so I told them to put it to one side and ran down and bought it :$

got my iphone and got a little query with it. apparently when my number ports over so will all my sim contacts from my old sim card, however this can take anything up to 5 business days. if i was to add each contact manually would these be duplicated when my old number ports over?

Citroen DS3 DSport
got my iphone and got a little query with it. apparently when my number ports over so will all my sim contacts from my old sim card, however this can take anything up to 5 business days. if i was to add each contact manually would these be duplicated when my old number ports over?

I don't know who gave you that info but your contacts will not port over onto your iPhone. In order to do this you will need to sync the contacts from your existing phone with your computer or manually add them to the iPhone. All that ports over is your phone number.

Lead_Head, did everything go smoothly with CPW and did they provide you with your transfer code without any problems?

I don't know who gave you that info but your contacts will not port over onto your iPhone. In order to do this you will need to sync the contacts from your existing phone with your computer or manually add them to the iPhone. All that ports over is your phone number.

Lead_Head, did everything go smoothly with CPW and did they provide you with your transfer code without any problems?

bloody CPW!! this is the sort of reason as to why I didn't want to be with them anymore....the numpty in there told me that as long as the numbers were saved on the sim card, them along with other things that are on the sim (sms messages etc) would be ported over!!
anyhow, i've put all my contacts on windows contacts and sync'd them over to the iphone.

one other thing...I've managed to use izymail to get hotmail working on my iphone however noticed on the message they e-mailed to me that the account will expire on the 9th may 2008...does this mean that i would have to continue to register with them in order for my hotmail to be viewed on my iphone or is there another way this can be sorted?