ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone iQuestion....

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
yes because the contract is taken out through itunes when first connecting.. the phone can be "jailbroken" and then "unlocked" so it doesn't need to be done and accepts any simcard.

Highly recommend the iPhone. I've had mine for around 4 or 5 months and can still honestly say it's the best phone I've ever had. That's despite its shortcomings too :)

ziPhone FTW now also. It's by far the best unlocking/jailbeaking app around at the moment - one click does it all.

http://files.ziphone.org/ZiPhoneWin-3.0.exe Direct Link.

Plug the phone into your PC and wait 'til iTunes is at the activation screen. Minimise iTunes and run ziPhone. Click 'Do it all' or whatever it's called. 5 minutes later - have fun :D

Make sure your firmware is 1.1.4. If it isn't then make iTunes RESTORE it to 1.1.4, not upgrade, and then run ziPhone.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
thats so much easier than what i had to do with my 1.1.2 OTB turbosim hack!!! hope it's that easy with the new 3g iphones!

Citroen DS3 DSport
If you have a Mac then I'd recommend some of the other unlock options available, Ziphone is good but of all the options it is the one I read about having most problems.

If you have a Mac then I'd recommend some of the other unlock options available, Ziphone is good but of all the options it is the one I read about having most problems.

Yeah I've heard there's a Mac app that's better, although I'm unsure how.

So far ziPhone has done this for me;

Bricked 1.0.2 > 1.1.4. ziPhone worked first time.
1.0.2 > 1.1.4. ziPhone worked first time.
My 1.1.1 > 1.1.4. ziPhone worked first time.

So perhaps there are problems, but in my experience it works 100% - Activated, unlocked, jailbroken with Installer good to go - in one click. Definitely the GUI of choice for the Windows user IMO :)

Citroen DS3 DSport
I think the main issue was that it downgrades the Bootloader but that is no longer as big a problem as some of the newer software (pwnage) is able to fix this. Previously you'd have lost any warranty on the phone if the Bootloader was shown to be altered.

An alternative option for Windows or Mac users

http://ipluspwns.com/?q=node

Oh yeah fair play. It does downgrade the bootloader. I'm personally not worried about warranty as i'll upgrade to the next iPhone soon anyway :D

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

Yeah I've heard there's a Mac app that's better, although I'm unsure how.

So far ziPhone has done this for me;

Bricked 1.0.2 > 1.1.4. ziPhone worked first time.
1.0.2 > 1.1.4. ziPhone worked first time.
My 1.1.1 > 1.1.4. ziPhone worked first time.

So perhaps there are problems, but in my experience it works 100% - Activated, unlocked, jailbroken with Installer good to go - in one click. Definitely the GUI of choice for the Windows user IMO :)

Since my iPhone will be on on a later update... how do i get it back to 1.1.4 for ziPhone?

"Thanks Revels for telling me about this, now im going to buy an iPhone and not your touch"

:( lol..

Just about to unlock mine! :approve:

2010 Mazda 3 MPS
Hey, i work for o2....

Just so that everyone knows...

8GB are still £269...the £100 discount is for line rental if you take the 18 month contract.

No deals as of yet!

but i got one for free, ha ha :)

Revels Mum & Sister
LOL if this is so how did Revels walk into a store earlier. Pay £169 and walk out the store?

Revels Mum & Sister
A member of customer service who doesnt appear to know anything about his own products and offers ;) What a surprise!

Bawdeeeeeeeoo christopher

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
because o2 phone guy doesn't understand how the phone can be jailbroken..

they obviously dont teach stuff that is worth learning.. Hmmm

Citroen DS3 DSport
Hey, i work for o2....

Just so that everyone knows...

8GB are still £269...the £100 discount is for line rental if you take the 18 month contract.

No deals as of yet!

but i got one for free, ha ha :)

Quite blatantly false :D

O2 are offering a £100 credit to customers who bought an iPhone and started a new contract within the last 14 days. New customers automatically get this in the form of a discounted handset price in store but with the added benefit of avoiding a contract with o2 if they choose to do so.

If you work for them you have incredibly poor knowledge of what you sell.

P.S. the offer expires on June 1st

Last edited:
Yes. Best Phone Ever, frankly. Don't believe the haters, they just can't afford one. Much like no one with a 2.0 Clio can afford a V6 ;)

Too late! I've already emailed the misses and told her to go pick me up one! Now a few questions..

I'm planning on hacking it, and running with my Orange sim.. Will I be able to go online wherever I am? Through GPRS i take it?

Also I have the normal hotmail account, i take it there still isnt a way of checking this in the iphones mail tab?

How good is the camera?

When hooked up to iTunes, is it just the same way as downloading music to it? Pictures etc?

1/ Yeah you should be able to go online via 'edge', but it's slow and probably expensive. The iPhone currently really only comes alive when you have a wi-fi netwrok nearby. At least until the rumoured 3G model arrives anyway.

2/ Not sure about hotmail. I use a Gmail account which is a breeze to setup on the iPhone. I also monitor 3 other ISP based pop accounts from the iPhone - it's pretty well featured and I'm sure hotmail offers pop features too? Worse case I guess you could sign in via Safari.

3/ The camera won't win any awards, but the benefit is that the pictures do look great on the screen. If you'll be looking at most of your phone snaps, actually on the phone, then it's a slap in the face to most other mobiles 3mp+ efforts on their own screen. Very basic but okay in good daylight, and snaps look their best native on the iPhone.

4/ Yup, as far as iTunes is concerned, it's an iPod with some phone features too.

Welcome to loving the phone that everyone loves to hate :D

Citroen DS3 DSport
If using the iPhone on a non iPhone tariff then I'd recommend you add a data bundle onto it. You'll use it.

I find browsing on Edge to be very acceptable, standard GPRS is a bit slow if browsing non mobile designed websites.

I will be upgrading to the 3g handset.

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
Fellas, fellas, fellas...

I'm tempted.. I must say.. HOWEVER..

I'm 12 months in on an 18 month 02 contract, so 6 months remaining. At the moment I've got an LG Prada. I could probably sell that for £100.

I could then buy the iPhone from CPW, use my current contract sim and change my tariff as I'm past 6 months in to my contract, and add a data bolt on for £7.50.

Now, in 6 months time, I'll be eligeable for an upgrade on my contract through 02 directly, by which time the iPhone2 should be near enough be out. I could either upgrade to another phone and sell it, or splash out for an iPhone2.

Can anyone see any faults with my plan?? Would it all work out?

Citroen DS3 DSport
You were/are entitled to switch with o2 anyway as you were a customer prior to the iPhone announcement last September. You could have swapped to an iPhone on release day last November without any penalty from o2. It may be worth waiting for a likely June announcement of the 3G iPhone.

o2:

You'll need to start a new 18 month minimum term contract and pay for your iPhone but you can keep your existing number.
If you became an O2 customer or upgraded on or before 18th September 2007

You can switch to an O2 tariff for iPhone without paying any remaining monthly charges on your existing contract.

Last edited:
  Tweaked Leon Cupra R
Fellas, fellas, fellas...

I'm tempted.. I must say.. HOWEVER..

I'm 12 months in on an 18 month 02 contract, so 6 months remaining. At the moment I've got an LG Prada. I could probably sell that for £100.

I could then buy the iPhone from CPW, use my current contract sim and change my tariff as I'm past 6 months in to my contract, and add a data bolt on for £7.50.

Now, in 6 months time, I'll be eligeable for an upgrade on my contract through 02 directly, by which time the iPhone2 should be near enough be out. I could either upgrade to another phone and sell it, or splash out for an iPhone2.

Can anyone see any faults with my plan?? Would it all work out?

Dito but i got 3 iphones for £450 sold 2 unlocked for £410. :)

You were/are entitled to switch with o2 anyway as you were a customer prior to the iPhone announcement last September. You could have swapped to an iPhone on release day last November without any penalty from o2. It may be worth waiting for a likely June announcement of the 3G iPhone.

o2:

You'll need to start a new 18 month minimum term contract and pay for your iPhone but you can keep your existing number.
If you became an O2 customer or upgraded on or before 18th September 2007

You can switch to an O2 tariff for iPhone without paying any remaining monthly charges on your existing contract.

would this work with o2 contracts through the CPW?

1/ Yeah you should be able to go online via 'edge', but it's slow and probably expensive. The iPhone currently really only comes alive when you have a wi-fi netwrok nearby. At least until the rumoured 3G model arrives anyway.

2/ Not sure about hotmail. I use a Gmail account which is a breeze to setup on the iPhone. I also monitor 3 other ISP based pop accounts from the iPhone - it's pretty well featured and I'm sure hotmail offers pop features too? Worse case I guess you could sign in via Safari.

3/ The camera won't win any awards, but the benefit is that the pictures do look great on the screen. If you'll be looking at most of your phone snaps, actually on the phone, then it's a slap in the face to most other mobiles 3mp+ efforts on their own screen. Very basic but okay in good daylight, and snaps look their best native on the iPhone.

4/ Yup, as far as iTunes is concerned, it's an iPod with some phone features too.

Welcome to loving the phone that everyone loves to hate :D

Ok cheers. She's going to get it tomorrow now! :D I'll definately be looking to get a data bolt on asap.. As for pop through hotmail, im not sure, i dont think they do though.